Ship(Celeb Millie) vs. Independent Excursions--with kids! Juneau, Skag, ISP, Ketch

MommyTraveler

I'm taking suggestions for excursions, esp. ship vs. ind. given our family of 5--4 ports times 5 people x $$$ = YIKES!

Background: DH and I did Alaska 1998 Legend of the Seas and loved it: didn't rain a single day, enjoyed Juneau, Skagway, Haines, & Ketchikan(tram & nature hike, kayaking, biking, float trip thru Chilkat). Did a mix of ship & on our own. Cruised 3 more times since(1 Med, 1 Carib).

Fast forward 10 years & 3 kids: DD8, DS4 turning 5 on last day of trip, DD2.75. 8yo has been on both Carib trips, other 2 went on last Carib, so experience travelers(us & them:D). Going on Millie June 20th so I know I'm cutting it close on bookings. We want to embrace Alaska again--we've never sat out a port on ship, are not shoppers to speak of(budgeted 2 older ones @$10 for souvenirs), & kids are big Discovery Channel fans, but both the prices & ages present a challenge. We do have some possible added help with extended family traveling with us but we found after Carib cruise it's mostly best to take care of ourselves rather than coordinate our herd PLUS others. We want to avoid one parent wrangling all 3 but are certainly willing to split up our 5 to take advantage of once-in-a-lifetime(OK, twice:)) trip.

Here's what's looking good to us:

Juneau: tram on our own; ship trips sled dog camp, or whale watching, or Mendenhall & fish hatchery, float plane for DH

Skagway: ship trip White Pass train. Didn't do it last time & kids love trains.

ISP: no clue. Alaskan experience/culture? Must factor in attention spans & boat tendering.

Ketchikan: ship trips float plane for DH & DD8($600!!), "Deadliest Catch" boat for DS4-5 if they'll let him pass for min age 5 & would have to hand off DD2.75 to family, also do undersea tour w/touch pool to include 2.75yo.

After reading the boards, I sense Juneau would be best for whale watching & Misty Fjords best float plane trip(1 thing DH would dearly love to do). If so, where else might we cuddle with the Huskies? And I'd like to spend less on the excursions than the trip cost! :eek:

Requirements: transportation is tricky due to ages(really don't want to lug the car seats around & would renting a car anywhere make sense anyway?). We are bringing backpack carrier for 2.75yo. Refuse to miss ship. Even in Alaska. Someone would want their blankie.:)

Sorry so long but I know I'm asking the experts. Thanks!

Archived