Diamond Princess - which restaurants for lobster?

buttah75

We are a family of four lobster lovers who don't love to dress up, so the answer to this question will help us decide whether or not to pack dressy clothing for the formal nights, or plan on the buffet (or whatever) for those nights.

I'd prefer not to buy dressy clothes for two boys who'll grow out of them before they wear them again...

But we can't miss the lobster!

Thanks in advance.

The only time I saw lobster on the Diamond in January was the last formal night. They were pretty small, but they were good. Also, Sabitini's has lobster, however I personally didn't care for it. It had a strange seasoning or something. It was obviously just me because my DH loved it and ate mine as well as his!!

We are a family of four lobster lovers who don't love to dress up, so the answer to this question will help us decide whether or not to pack dressy clothing for the formal nights, or plan on the buffet (or whatever) for those nights.

I'd prefer not to buy dressy clothes for two boys who'll grow out of them before they wear them again...

But we can't miss the lobster!

Thanks in advance.

I think the only place you will find lobster is in the Traditional Dining Room on a formal night. We had it twice on the Diamond and both nights were formal nights. We didn't go to any of the speciality restaruants so I don't know if they have it or not. They did not have it in the Horizon Court Buffet. I'm afraid if you want it, you are going to have to dress up for formal nights.

I think the only place you will find lobster is in the Traditional Dining Room on a formal night. We had it twice on the Diamond and both nights were formal nights. We didn't go to any of the speciality restaruants so I don't know if they have it or not. They did not have it in the Horizon Court Buffet. I'm afraid if you want it, you are going to have to dress up for formal nights.

FYI: Anytime dining serves the same food as traditional dining, including lobster. They even use the same kitchen.

FYI: Anytime dining serves the same food as traditional dining, including lobster. They even use the same kitchen.

That may be but isn't it only served on formal night? If so, wouldn't they still have to dress up for that?

The specialty restaurant does offer delicious lobster additonal fee. Both anytime and traditional restaurants offer lobster one formal. If your family is indeed lobster lovers. I am afraid you will have to make an effort to dress up. Having said that, the lobster always is a bit disappointing. I think there are better meals on formal nights.

You will get lobster when it is on the menu in both the TD and AD venues, they use the same kitchen and have the same menus on the same evenings however, if it is on the menu on a formal night you will not get it in the Horizon Court.

If you really want a fabulous meal (steak and the best lobster on the ship)and and you don't mind spending extra money I would go with an ultimate balcony dinner. You could dress casual and have a fabulous meal. I have to admit it was by far the best meal we had on our 19 day cruise. We were on Island and had a balcony cabin on Caribe. It accomodated the 4 of us perfectly. The meal included flowers, champagne and photos. Well worth the $$$ in my opinion.

That may be but isn't it only served on formal night? If so, wouldn't they still have to dress up for that?
Absolutely. Whether you go to the Traditional or Anytime dining room, the dress code is the same. Your boys would probably be fine in chinos, a shirt and a tie on Formal nights. If they are teenages, they would probably need a jacket.

The charge for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is $100.00 total. Well worth the price, best dinner ever! We have done this three times and looking forward to it on our next cruise in September.

The lobster is outstanding and you will enjoy!

Ultimate Balcony dinner? That sounds great. What does that go for?

I think $50.00 per person. But as jrobinso said, it was easily the best meal we had on our 15 day cruise and the extras like the flowers and photo were nice, too. We ate at Sterlings one night after doing the UBD and I was really disappointed in the filet as compared to the one we had with the UBD!! Well with the extra $$!

Yes, the poster is correct in saying the lobster tails lately have been disappointing, extremely disappointing. However, on the 19 day sailing on the Island in April/ May, where the cuisine was terrible, they did happen to have the best lobster tail we have had onboard in quite a long time. It was not too large, but it was cooked to perfection, tender and juicy. That had to be, without a doubt, the only dinner we truly enjoyed during the entire 19 days. Go figure......:cool:

Just how good can a lobster on a cruise ship be? After all, it's processed frozen lobster tails... not fresh. Aged is fine with steaks, not seafood. IMHO if a lobster isn't alive when it goes into the pot, it's second tier at best.

I'm spoiled... too many summers in Gloucester-Essex... Lobsters are in the ocean in the morning, the holding tank in the afternoon, and in the pot in the evening! :D

We just got off the Diamond on Saturday. Friends wanted Lobster but not formal night, so they got the lobster via room service. They were surprised how small and mentioned it to us. But DH got the lobster and jumbo prawns in anytime dining and it was the same -- very small this year. Three years ago they served 2 tails. This year so small they added prawns to the menu item. But just order extra if you love them.

The lobster was on the first formal night and jumbo crab legs on the second formal night.

We were on Diamond last November and had lobster at Sabattinis and on our balcony with the UBD. We were diappointed in Sabattini's lobster but the one with the UBD was delicious. Well worth it. We did this on a formal night.

Archived