Sent a Letter to AA and got this response

the problem with raising fares is that airlines have been competing and selling on price for so long now. The flying public expects lower fares. So the airlines start adding fees.

I'd prefer the higher fare over the fees. You may not like it but we need higher fares to save the airline industry. (but not too high to fatally reduce demand)

Fares are cheap, historically. I predict that we will see higher fares as airlines reduce capacity. (basic supply/demand) They can't stay in business satisfying our desires for under-priced fares.

I cruise a great deal with American guests on RCCL and can guarantee that at some time the topic of air travel will arise. Almost invariably AA gets a kicking ! do you not have other options to fly ? This is not a mischievous query, just interest from a Brit.

Luv

Cy:)

Which raises an interesting question... if you cannot carry on your carry-on due to insufficient storage space, will they still charge you the extra $15?

No, they will not - this was in one of the press releases on the issue. They will just check the bag at the gate.

However, that doesn't mean you can just take all the bags you would normally check to the gate and instead have them end out getting checked there - bags still have to meet the requirements for being allowed as carryon - fitting in the small container that verifies it's size. In fact, I expect to see much more significant use of that (currently they don't generally check the size) and less leeway as to what makes it on as carryon.

Howard

I have a feeling that AA is going to start finding delays at the gates as they have to argue with passengers about carry ons or there is not enough room for carry ons.

It will also cause back ups at the security check points with people bringing more carry ons.

Let's see if AA changes this when it is fully implemented and they start leaving late from the gates because of people and their carry ons.

All of these issues are well-known and will occur. However, you are going to see most/all airlines implementing this. Additionally, if/when fuel prices do come down (as with the cruiselines), you think any of these new fees/surcharges are going to go away? Absolutely not - once they get them, they are going to be there for good.

I've also read a number of quotes from the airlines indicating they are unhappy with the ease which customers are able to compare their fares with competitors and just look at the bottom line price. They've indicated the fees/surcharges are a way to make their quoted price appear low and not have the customer be able to compare. Can you believe that? They want to hide the true cost from their customers so they cannot know what their ultimate price is. It is really sickening.

Howard

They've indicated the fees/surcharges are a way to make their quoted price appear low and not have the customer be able to compare. Can you believe that? They want to hide the true cost from their customers so they cannot know what their ultimate price is. It is really sickening.

Howard

AFAIK, Travelocity, Orbitz etc give you the bottom line price so they are a good place to start. I can't be sure of that because just about all my flights are either paid for by my client or on some of the Gazillion FF miles I have.

Cheers

My cousin observed to me that they should have just raised the fares $15 across the board, but then offered a $15 "discount" for no checked bags...

Perhaps he should be in advertising! :)

Theron[/quote

Theron, I agree. I think that all of the fuel charges and baggage charges and all the BS charges should just be scrapped. If they have to raise fares for the cost of business, then just do it and let us know what we are paying. They need to stop with the bargain rate but restrictions apply tactic. It just makes no sense. People are getting tired of this tactic in all aspects of life.

This comment applies to airfare, cruisefare, busfare, foodfare, garage door installation fare etc. I think you get the point so I won't rant any longer.

Have a good day!!

Ken.

I cruise a great deal with American guests on RCCL and can guarantee that at some time the topic of air travel will arise. Almost invariably AA gets a kicking ! do you not have other options to fly ? This is not a mischievous query, just interest from a Brit.

Luv

Cy:)

American Airlines has a hub at Miami, where many Caribbean cruises depart from. So many people choose to fly directly into Miami on AA, or they are booked into Miami by their travel agent. The rest of us might compare fares and choose a less-expensive airline that flies into Fort Lauderdale.

I guess that commercial for Southwest wasn't that far off the mark. $5 for a snack, $2 for a newspaper, $4 for use of the restroom.:rolleyes: The next thing will be charge you a "waste management fee" for bringing on your own food & beverage.

I was thinking about their new ads. toooooooooo funny. hopefully that will mean that they are NOT going to charge for bags anytime soon

American Airlines has a hub at Miami, where many Caribbean cruises depart from. So many people choose to fly directly into Miami on AA, or they are booked into Miami by their travel agent. The rest of us might compare fares and choose a less-expensive airline that flies into Fort Lauderdale.

yep, like Southwest. just wish they flew to Miami because it is a very very close connection for us to go to FLL and get to a ship in Miami.

I'll pay the fee AFTER my bag arrives at my destination with me and we're BOTH on time. AA has a terrible history with "lost" bags in my family. I'll pay the extra if I can start nickel and dimming them for a shoddy product. Geeze AA:eek:

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate hearing your perspective about the change to our checked baggage policy.

First, allow me to clarify that the $15 fee for one checked bag applies to tickets purchased on or after June 15, 2008. Assessing a fee for checked baggage was a difficult decision but reflects the reality of our business. We are taking direct steps to ensure the long-term success of our company in the face of unprecedented fuel prices and these fees help us to offset the rising costs associated with the transportation of baggage. We hope to have our customers' understanding.

There are some exceptions to the policy. To view the specifics, please go to AA.com and select "All News" from the Home Page and look for "View Updated Checked Bag Policies."

Sincerely,

And as I do understand the rise in fuel costs, we are all feeling it. I just can't see them not allowing at least one checked bag free. JMO

While I agree with some of your points, the airline industry has already helped my choice. I have driven to my last 6 cruises FAR cheaper than flying at a minimal inconvience to me. We pre-stay at a hotel with free parking and a shuttle, still for less, gas prices for the car included. Adding additional fees will not turn my view more favorably, no matter what the airline crisis- their inability to manage their finances should not be subsidized by my vacation $$. I'm having trouble funding my vacation and my tourist $ can't be spent in a 3rd world country... who will subsidize me? :-)

It hasn't affected my cruising in any way. (ok, my trunk space is tight and I pack fewer shoes). So to me, It's loose-loose for the airline... I'm still cruising.

the problem with raising fares is that airlines have been competing and selling on price for so long now. The flying public expects lower fares. So the airlines start adding fees.

I'd prefer the higher fare over the fees. You may not like it but we need higher fares to save the airline industry. (but not too high to fatally reduce demand)

Fares are cheap, historically. I predict that we will see higher fares as airlines reduce capacity. (basic supply/demand) They can't stay in business satisfying our desires for under-priced fares.

What would the airlines do if we all took an extra day or so and take the train whenever possible...or ship your luggage if you have to fly...if you have to fly send off your bags in advance and have them there when you arrive...

Other option, we pay it and don't complain...

Just remember how we got in this and know what to do about it...

I'll pay the fee AFTER my bag arrives at my destination with me and we're BOTH on time. AA has a terrible history with "lost" bags in my family. I'll pay the extra if I can start nickel and dimming them for a shoddy product. Geeze AA:eek:

I do agree with this...even tho we have been rather lucky so far...I would be more willing to pay for my luggage after I receive them at my destination then before...I have major stress worrying about my luggage being on that turnstile at the airport...

Forgetting the fact that often AA is the cheapest

I don't think all American financial woes are from fuel costs. They write it in their formal statement because we all understand that. I'm sure there is much more...including not maintaining their planes properly. Regardless of what they charge, the airlines need to start treating their customers properly. We will find another way to travel or maybe we'll quit or cut back...it is so dreadful to fly right now, I do not look forward to vacationing nearly as much as I used to.

No, they don't. At least, not all carriers. They board by "boarding group" and your boarding group is assigned based on when you check in. So if you check in online 24 hours or so before departure, you get in Group 1, and you board in the first group, right after First Class. Doesn't matter where in coach your seats are. The last time I flew, it was on AA this past April and this is how they boarded. Southwest has been doing it this way, too, for several years. Not sure which other carriers use this method. Bottom line is, if your airline offers a web check-in in advance, set yourself an alarm and do it! :)

I don't think so. I've always got my boarding pass the night before. If we're in the front of the plane we're the last to board. On some of the really big planes (2 aisles) they may board a little different. Sometimes right to left, but usually it's back to front.

Forgetting the fact that often AA is the cheapest

Not to where I have to fly. They are my most expensive option to fly into the closest airport to see my family.

Almost twice as much as the other airlines. Plus they want me to do over night layovers in Chicago now to get to NY on a lot of their flights. Which is only an hour and a half flight time from there. :rolleyes:

We purchased our tickets in March so we are the lucky ones who can take two bags per person no fee!!! However, we have to show proof of when the tickets were purchased. So we print off the boarding passes and also take with us the paperwork from our TA. Hopefully it'll work. Better yet think I'll just have one bag per each of us and show the receipt for the tickets. Don't want to upset the guys who check us in!!

Do you think AA wants all of us to just have carryons?? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Archived