Toonjie's AOS Review

I have all the compasses, but don't have my scanner up and running right now. It will be another project to get them scanned! I could answer any specifics and if you pm me your email I can send you all the menus, which I got from another poster on CC.

I must be crazy because I cannot figure out how to send you a pm. Please send them to my email address at bommerk@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Toonjie

Since we don't have a balcony or window in our room do you hve a favorite spot we should head to for great photo opts of the lights as we sail away from San Juan?

Also do you happen to know if Promenade room #8301 is any good? what do you think we are over top of?

Thanks again Toonjie

Forward on deck 12 is probably the best, it's neat when you pass the Carnival Destiny and everyone screams, you then have a great view of the walls all lot up. No idea on the room, but I've never heard any complaints from people with Promenade rooms that there was noise from below.

Hi Toonjie,

I loved every bit of your review and I have been patiently awaiting your review of your post-cruise adventures as we will be staying at the Wyndham Rio Mar in August for our pre-cruise night as well. Is it possible that you have already posted this and I missed it???

I hope everything is ok and that the only reason is that a busy life got in the way of your writing as it happens to almost all of us. If you haven't done so already - could you please please write your review of the Wyndham. I need some good restaurant ideas.

Thanks so much and best wishes to you and your wife on your upcoming arrival!

Hi Toonjie,

I loved every bit of your review and I have been patiently awaiting your review of your post-cruise adventures as we will be staying at the Wyndham Rio Mar in August for our pre-cruise night as well. Is it possible that you have already posted this and I missed it???

I hope everything is ok and that the only reason is that a busy life got in the way of your writing as it happens to almost all of us. If you haven't done so already - could you please please write your review of the Wyndham. I need some good restaurant ideas.

Thanks so much and best wishes to you and your wife on your upcoming arrival!

Thanks! Yes, I'm working on the post-cruise, you didn't miss it. DW is at the stage where she is so uncomfortable it is hard to sleep so I can't stay up late working on my review because if I wake her getting into bed she's up for a couple of hours! There's a bunch of people going in early August, so I'm trying to get it done asap, I can't wait to post some of the great pics of the rainforest! We had a blast at the Rio Mar, you will love it!

Thanks! Yes, I'm working on the post-cruise, you didn't miss it. DW is at the stage where she is so uncomfortable it is hard to sleep so I can't stay up late working on my review because if I wake her getting into bed she's up for a couple of hours! There's a bunch of people going in early August, so I'm trying to get it done asap, I can't wait to post some of the great pics of the rainforest! We had a blast at the Rio Mar, you will love it!

Toonjie..I have a question for you...I put in D3 & cabin numbers 6218 (guarentee cabins)--I know where they are but sure would love a photo--well nothing there--but then I put into google the other cabin 6670 & it came up to this review--now I know I have read it ALL--but at the time I might not have had the cabins--got the 6670 July 2--& last week the 6218 (so much for putting us close)--our married son & DIL are in the 6670..we're up front..so the question is--do you have some info on theirs? I realize everything on the 6th deck is metal from the railing down to flooring--but otherwise are they good cabins? Just have to stand up to look out..thanks for any info you

might have.

You know what?? I think that number was there because I ASKED you already--hence the 6670...DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry

Toonjie..I have a question for you...I put in D3 & cabin numbers 6218 (guarentee cabins)--I know where they are but sure would love a photo--well nothing there--but then I put into google the other cabin 6670 & it came up to this review--now I know I have read it ALL--but at the time I might not have had the cabins--got the 6670 July 2--& last week the 6218 (so much for putting us close)--our married son & DIL are in the 6670..we're up front..so the question is--do you have some info on theirs? I realize everything on the 6th deck is metal from the railing down to flooring--but otherwise are they good cabins? Just have to stand up to look out..thanks for any info you

might have.

You know what?? I think that number was there because I ASKED you already--hence the 6670...DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry

Sorry, I don't have any info or pics on any of those cabins. Try googling the cabin numbers with AOS and Adventure of the Seas in front and the same thing on all the photo hosting sites like webshots, you can often find pics of your exact cabin, you can also try the other voyager class ship names with the above and at least see what they look like. Good luck!

Sorry, I don't have any info or pics on any of those cabins. Try googling the cabin numbers with AOS and Adventure of the Seas in front and the same thing on all the photo hosting sites like webshots, you can often find pics of your exact cabin, you can also try the other voyager class ship names with the above and at least see what they look like. Good luck!

Thanks toonjie--I did exactly that yesterday--no luck--guess I'll worry about it when we get on board--well no worry we will see what wehave...it'll be fine I'm sure...just won't be able to sit down & look out--as bottom of that deck have metal on them--just above the lifeboats--hey that might not be a bad thing...:D I think alot of people just put their pictures in like webshots & don't bother to put what number cabin unless it is a suite

Toonjie,

Where you able to get out of the resort fee for the Marriott? How?

Also, do you think it would be ok to try and bid for one room on priceline for the marriott for 3 people?

Thanks,

Kerry

We got the internet because I had to enter my mom's final grades, (she's a prof. and just finished Spring semester and grades were due by Monday), so that may have affected things since that is included in the resort fee, but there were no extra charges besides the $14.95 for the internet. I have read lots of posts of people just mentioning at check-in that they don't want to pay the resort fee and getting out of it. I noticed at night that I actually had a stronger wifi signal from La Concha than from the Marriott (and we were on the 10th floor!) and their internet was free. I would always check for free signals in your room before buying!

Hey Toonjie,

I'm leaving Sat for San Juan...anything else I need to know before I go? I guess you haven't finished the part of the review I was waiting for :confused: I guess you have a life outside of cruise critic...lol ;) I just called the El San Juan to make sure they have my room requests since they never answered my on-line request. They do have it all, so hopefully I'll get what I want (main tower with renovated rooms, connecting rooms, 2 beds in each)

I am so excited I can hardly function at work :D

Hope everything is going well with DW's pregnancy :)

Hey Toonjie,

I'm leaving Sat for San Juan...anything else I need to know before I go? I guess you haven't finished the part of the review I was waiting for :confused: I guess you have a life outside of cruise critic...lol ;) I just called the El San Juan to make sure they have my room requests since they never answered my on-line request. They do have it all, so hopefully I'll get what I want (main tower with renovated rooms, connecting rooms, 2 beds in each)

I am so excited I can hardly function at work :D

Hope everything is going well with DW's pregnancy :)

Hang on green eyed lady, you're the main one I'm trying to get this part done for so I'll try to get something up for you tomorrow. Hope you get your requested rooms and I think you'll be happy with the ESJ!

Okay, DW just left for her baby shower up at her parents new house in New Hampshire so I have some time to finish this report before I have to get back to finishing up work on the nursery! Here we go again...

“Return to Coqui”

Sunday, May 18th Debarkation to Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort

Our alarms were set for 7:00am, but I for some reason woke up at 4:45am, when I felt the gentle vibrations of the azipods rotating, signaling we were in San Juan Bay and making the turn to back into the Pan American Pier. The ship basically turns right in front of pier #4, where the Carnival Destiny would shortly dock and then it backs all the way in the channel and docks at the pier. Our aft balcony provided the perfect vantage point to watch us dock, so I slipped out the door without letting much light in through the curtains and didn’t even wake DW up. We’re docked shortly after 5:00am and it was interesting to watch as more and more workers arrived and luggage began to be off loaded as well as garbage and recycling and finally, before we left our cabin, we could see next week’s provisions being loaded on and tons of trucks waiting to offload their goods after being searched by security. DW wakes up around 5:30am when I come in from the balcony and we watch some TV before showering and packing the last minute things.

We meet mom at 7:30am and leave her scooter in her cabin for CareVacations to pick up. I wheel her and all our carryons to the Windjammer and we have a nice final breakfast. We were headed down in the elevator to wait in the diamond/platinum debarkation lounge when we heard them call #1’s, so we simply went to deck 4 and got in the line to get off. Debarkation went very smoothly and the lines weren’t that bad. Once we got out onto the promenade deck, we were directed to a second more aft exit ramp since mom was in her Serenade of the Seas wheelchair. This exit went right out to both a ramp and elevators. Some people were confused and were waiting for the elevator instead of walking down the ramp, but the elevator was only for those with handicapped people. I couldn’t get the number for Charlie’s Car Rental and my cell phone out while I pushed mom and carried several bags so I was expecting to have to wait a while since I could call them until we emerged from customs, but I was pleasantly surprised that they took only 10 minutes to arrive at the pier from the time I called. We found our bags and a porter and made it out of customs without any problems at around 9:00am. By the time I returned mom’s Serenade wheelchair, the van had arrived. The van from Charlie’s Car Rental took us to the airport office on Isla Verde and we got our car in around 10 minutes and were off to drop mom at the airport. (Mom had to hand in grades in person for one of the schools she teaches at and so she couldn’t do the post cruise.) As we entered the airport, we wondered if we would have to park, but it was still very quite out in front and I took mom’s luggage in while she waited in the car and got her checked-in and a wheelchair guy came out with me to take her through security and to the gate. We had the cruise ship debarkation tags on the bags and so the bags didn’t have to go through the customs “search for fruit area.” DW watches the car as I say goodbye to mom and we’re off on what we considered to be our honeymoon portion of the trip.

DW was a little tired from all the walking and carrying of debarkation, but since we were right in the Isla Verde area and I had promised green eyed lady and many others on the San Juan board here at CC who got the resort on Priceline that I would check out the El San Juan hotel, I asked for just ten minutes to look around and take some pics. We arrive at the ESJ hotel and parked in the valet lot and I left DW with the car to rest. On the way in I encountered the parking lot attendant and since I said my wife was in the car, he assumed we were just checking out and said 10 minutes would be no problem. (I wanted to get to the Intercontinental Hotel next door as well, but there just wasn’t time.) The ESJ looked like an excellent hotel, the lobby was gorgeous and all the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. The pool area is especially nice and larger than the one at the Marriott. Isla Verde Beach is also arguably the nicest beach in San Juan.

ESJ pool area:

IMG_6474.jpg

Overall, I think those who get this hotel on Priceline or picking it deliberately will be very happy with it. There’s also plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

We then head to OSJ with the intent of exploring El Morro and walking around and doing some shopping, but as we look for parking, which was extremely scarce, and it became obvious that we would have to park and walk a long way, we decided just to drive around a bit and then head out to Rio Grande.

Last year as we headed out route 26 to the rain forest, somehow I missed the turnoff for route 66, which is a newer expressway that parallels route 3, which is basically a local road with stores on either side and plenty of stoplights. This year we find it and you only pay $1.50 toll and it probably saves you ½ hour of travel. Route 66 joins back in with route 3 once you are out in more suburban territory, the major landmark is the Belz Factory Outlet Mall. (More on our visits here later.) It is only around 20 minutes from the airport to this point and only around another 15 to the entrance to both the Rio Mar and El Yunque.

By the time we arrive at this turn, we are starving and as we head up the road, I see a sign for Antojitos, which I had heard great things about on CC. We stop for lunch and the food was scrumptious and the surrounding gardens were gorgeous.

IMG_6491.jpg

Our waiter was fantastic and suggests we return for the lunch buffet, which is $5 for a huge plate from the buffet, refills are a couple of bucks a plate, but we were stuffed with one! There is also a bakery right at the junction of route 3 and Rio Mar Dr. that he recommended as having great breakfast food. Antojitos was very good Puerto Rican food and great atmosphere with an even better location right at the junction of route 3 and the road that goes to the Rio Mar in one direction and to the entrance to the rainforest in the other.

IMG_6494.jpg

We arrived at the Wyndham around 2:00pm and you really do enter into a huge resort complex that enables you to forget the outside world! 2 golf courses separate the road from the resort and the sea. Originally my mom was going to join us on this portion until she found out she had to hand in her grades in person so instead of using Priceline to bid on a resort and risk getting the El Conquistador which had too much walking for mom, we used Skyauction and won an auction for $120 a night! The Wyndham, which recently took over the resort from Westin, has a wonderful frequent stay program called Wyndham by Request and it’s free and they give you your choice of soda and snacks in your room upon arrival and you also get a separate check-in line and upgraded rooms to boot! After we won the auction, I called the hotel directly to confirm the reservation and got my Wyndham by Request number put into the reservation. (This is something I always do whether using Priceline or Hotwire or what have you. Sometimes the person allows it and sometimes they don’t and then I try back later!) Check-in was a breeze and the ByRequest manager personally came out to greet us and we got an oceanview room, which went for $350 and up rack rate, for $120. Here’s our room:

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg

Here's the view:

IMG_6498.jpg

We relax and take a nap and explore the resort a little and then at dinner time order room service as a little splurge since we aren’t that hungry and don’t order much anyway and we didn’t feel like leaving the grounds. We then hit the pool at night and as we walked out into the beautifully landscaped and lit grounds, we were greeted by one our favorite sounds- coqui, coqui, the lovely tree frog native to Puerto Rico, they are all around and make the sound of our New England crickets seem brash by comparison! We enjoy the adult pool and hot tub and the peaceful sounds of the coqui, the smell of the sea breeze and tropical foliage. Let the honeymoon begin!

DW loves the thought of resting her feet at this point:

IMG_6490.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6492.jpg

Dinning area is right off of Rio Mar Dr., but it's not that busy a street and doesn't ruin the atmosphere:

IMG_6493.jpg

The parking area is very garden-like and tranquil:

IMG_6488.jpg

“Junk in our Yunque” Monday, May 19th El Yunque Rainforest

Monday morning finds us blissfully sleeping in! Our bed was heavenly and we have a great night’s sleep, DW is finally fully rested and ready to hike. We decide to spoil ourselves and order room service for breakfast so we skip our planned trip out to the bakery at the foot of the hill that our waiter recommended yesterday. Breakfast was great and we relax a bit and then hit the beach and pool. After that, we hit one our favorite places in the world, El Yunque Rainforest. While planning the cruise, I came across an interview with the general manager of the Marriott Stellaris in San Juan on YouTube and he has an interesting accent and pronounced El Yunque as El Junque, with a hard J sound. (almost rhymed with junky) It cracked me up and all morning I’m calling it El Junque joking with DW. Last year we stayed in Fajardo, (about a 15 minute drive), and it was really nice to be much closer to the rainforest this year, it’s actually a 5 minute drive from the Rio Mar to the foot of the rainforest.

We begin the drive up into the mountains and stop at Coco waterfall which is visible from the road and hike up it a bit to get some different pics than last year, we then continue up the road.

Looking straight up Coco Falls:

IMG_6519.jpg

We plan to do a lot of shorter hikes since DW is now 25 weeks pregnant. We plan to do the hardest, steepest hike first, one we did last year, down to a really nice stream with waterfalls with loads of places you can find a remote swimming hole. It’s a steep downhill going in, but then it is pretty steep coming back up. We take it pretty easy and do a lot of swimming and DW is just fine.

If you go past the main falls on this hike, and head back up the mountain, there are many more remote swimming holes to be found:

IMG_3799.jpg

Temps were in the 80’s and we had a couple of showers, but no major rain. We climb and explore Yakahu Tower on our way back down the mountain.

View down to the sea from Yokahu Tower:

IMG_3773.jpg

We head back towards San Juan on Route 3 in search of a supermarket to buy stuff for breakfast and snacks at the hotel. (Back to frugal mode!) We buy yogurt and milk and fruit and cereal, cheese and crackers and lots of bottled water for hiking. We head back to the Rio Mar and put everything in the fridge in our room. We then get ready for dinner at Richies just up the road.

Entrance to Richies:

IMG_6616.jpg

View from Richies:

IMG_6619.jpg

Richies has a commanding view of the Rio Mar Resort area and we get there just around sunset so we can take in the great view and then gradually watch night fall over the rainforest area. The food was great, an eclectic mix of everything from local to American fare. It is very overpriced, but you really pay for the view and the atmosphere. DW hates when there are 2 or more competing musical backgrounds and here they have tv on in the bar area quite loud and 2 different very loud Spanish music stations on the radio on either side of the restaurant. This drives DW crazy enough so that she doesn’t want to go back the rest of the week. Otherwise, it was a great experience and they even passed out bug spray after sunset and it was definitely much needed.

View of Rio Mar from Richies:

IMG_6620.jpg

As the sun set, we were again greeted by the sounds of coqui, coqui as we exited the restaurant and DW much preferred it to the combination of ESPN Sportscenter, electric piano and congas!

We return to the Rio Mar, hit the pool and then call it a night. Another great day!

IMG_6529.jpg

IMG_6531.jpg

IMG_6533.jpg

This guy was nice enough to hold still and pose:

IMG_6544.jpg

So was this little guy:

IMG_6565.jpg

The humidity in El Yunque is the antidote to winter! You can just feel and smell it everywhere, but it's not too hot because of the elevation. It combines with the smell of the foliage to create a wonderful atmosphere for hiking:

IMG_6604.jpg

Archived