Toonjie's AOS Review

Here's some shots from 2 years ago in Barbados, thought I'd show you what Welchman Gully would look like if it didn't collapse, here's a shot of Harrison's Cave:

DSCN1520.jpg

And some more of Bathsheba:

DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg

DSCN1555.jpg

DSCN1561.jpg

DSCN1565.jpg

Thanks! And you hang on 'til we get to the part you're interested in, I'll have more pics of the El San Juan Hotel for you.

WOW you have some really GREAT photos here and great reviews so far--you spoke with me when I got our room in SJ for Sept & I got a Boutique hotel--(SJ Beach & Water Club) the one you proposed to your wife at--I keep sending your pics & reviews (we've been to all posts before & some 2-3 times) but our son & DIL have only been on ONE cruise & that was from San Diego to MX--so they are excited & sending these reviews of yours will help them stay excited. Also not sure what we want to do in St Lucia yet--so this will help on our scouting around.

Again great reviews & photos & congrats to you both on the new addition you will be having soon.

Okay, I'm in anticipation heaven!

School is out for the summer.

The three younger kids are happily playing at the YMCA camp. Oldest daughter is playing dueling computers next to me on my lap top.

DH is downstairs practicing his classical guitar (sweet refrains are drifting through the a/c vents).

I've just finished a quick dip in the pool to escape the sweltering heat.

While sipping on a fresh banana smoothie, I settle in to read the next installment. It's addicting really (the read and the smoothie).

Each scroll of the mouse brings a new breathtaking picture. I'm dying inside, just knowing that I'll be leaving in a week for my first sailing on the AOS to....the same places!!!

Now, for the hard part. I have one day to book shore excusions online.

I just need your help. If you had to do it all over again for the first time, tell me exactly what you'd do at each port. There's so much to do and I'm so excited, especially about St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua because we've never been.

Toonjie-help!!!

Karen in Kentucky

Okay, I'm in anticipation heaven!

School is out for the summer.

The three younger kids are happily playing at the YMCA camp. Oldest daughter is playing dueling computers next to me on my lap top.

DH is downstairs practicing his classical guitar (sweet refrains are drifting through the a/c vents).

I've just finished a quick dip in the pool to escape the sweltering heat.

While sipping on a fresh banana smoothie, I settle in to read the next installment. It's addicting really (the read and the smoothie).

Each scroll of the mouse brings a new breathtaking picture. I'm dying inside, just knowing that I'll be leaving in a week for my first sailing on the AOS to....the same places!!!

Now, for the hard part. I have one day to book shore excusions online.

I just need your help. If you had to do it all over again for the first time, tell me exactly what you'd do at each port. There's so much to do and I'm so excited, especially about St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua because we've never been.

Toonjie-help!!!

Karen in Kentucky

Thanks and wow, sounds like we don't have much time! First, I don't like ship's tours, even for novices, you can almost always do better on your own and usually for less money for a lot more tour!

For St. Lucia my recommendation for first timers is the catamaran sailing tour, you can do it through the ship, but I have done the ship's tour and one on our own and the one on our own was far better! We used Barefoot Holidays, here's what you do: Savor the pleasure of sailing St. Lucia's pristine waters aboard a beautiful Catamaran that takes you along the picturesque west coast of the island.

See the beautiful and scenic coastline, the many caves and inlets along the way. Disembark at the magical town of Soufriere and join the waiting mini buses to take you to two of the island's most spectular natural attractions.

View the majestic Pitons on your way to the Caribbean's only drive in volcano, the sulphur Springs. Continue onto the Diamond Botanical Gardens to see a variety of tropical plant species on an enchanting walk and the splendor of dazzling Diamond Waterfalls in the midst of the gardens.A tasty Creole styled buffet lunch awaits you at a local restaurant.

Rejoin the boat for a sail up along the coastline with a stop for swimming. Sail into beautiful Marigot Bay where the orginal Dr. Doolittle movie was filmed, before returning to the dock. They leave right from Pointe Seraphine, 50 yards from the ship!

Tip Off: Take along swimwear, beach towels, sunscreen and cameras.

Here's the link: http://www.barefootholidays.com/excursions_all.html#CatamaranDaySail

I think it is a little more than the ship's tour but much, much better!!!!!

Antigua: I would check out this page, http://www.adventureantigua.com/ and decide whether the eco or the xtreme is best for you and pray they have room! We reserved the Eco in October for our May cruise and just loved it! That's the next installment!

Barbados: Go out of the port area gate and get a cab there, work out what you want to see before hand and then work out a price, spend the morning touring with your driver and the afternoon at Accra Beach and have your driver return to take you back to the ship, (15 minutes). Check the Barbados boards for what you want to see.

Okay, hope that helps, let me know what you think.

We were on the AOS at the end of April, beginning of May. When on St Lucia, we took the "Cosel" tour, and it was the best tour we were ever on! You can find him on the boards, he has a very popular tour going. No matter what you decide, you will have a great time!

I just found your review and I have sat here and read the whole thing. An amazing review!!! Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! We are taking this cruise in August and you have me so excited now!!! With the airline issues, I wasn't sure it was going to happen. We worked it out and now I am getting excited and thinking about how we want to spend our days in these ports. We are first timers to this itinerary. You have given me so much to think about and plan!! Thank you for taking the time and I cannot wait to read the rest of it as you get it posted!

Congratulations to you and your lovely wife on the upcoming birth!!

Great review!

The pics of St. Lucia bring back wonderful memories of DH & my honeymoon 6 years ago. We stayed at Ladera for 3 nights and spent every day at the then Hilton Jalousie, the snorkeling is amazing at the base of the pitons.

If you ever go back to St. Lucia and want some great pics of the Pitons, go to Ladera and have lunch or dinner at Dashene. The food is wonderful and the views are out of this world!

Great review!

The pics of St. Lucia bring back wonderful memories of DH & my honeymoon 6 years ago. We stayed at Ladera for 3 nights and spent every day at the then Hilton Jalousie, the snorkeling is amazing at the base of the pitons.

If you ever go back to St. Lucia and want some great pics of the Pitons, go to Ladera and have lunch or dinner at Dashene. The food is wonderful and the views are out of this world!

Ladera is one of our dream resorts that we have always wanted to go to! You must have had a great time! What an amazing place for a honeymoon! When we did our helicopter tour, we dropped people off at Jalousie and it was a Hilton then. The new owners have really fixed it up from what I've heard.

Thanks and wow, sounds like we don't have much time! First, I don't like ship's tours, even for novices, you can almost always do better on your own and usually for less money for a lot more tour!

For St. Lucia my recommendation for first timers is the catamaran sailing tour, you can do it through the ship, but I have done the ship's tour and one on our own and the one on our own was far better! We used Barefoot Holidays, here's what you do: Savor the pleasure of sailing St. Lucia's pristine waters aboard a beautiful Catamaran that takes you along the picturesque west coast of the island.

See the beautiful and scenic coastline, the many caves and inlets along the way. Disembark at the magical town of Soufriere and join the waiting mini buses to take you to two of the island's most spectular natural attractions.

View the majestic Pitons on your way to the Caribbean's only drive in volcano, the sulphur Springs. Continue onto the Diamond Botanical Gardens to see a variety of tropical plant species on an enchanting walk and the splendor of dazzling Diamond Waterfalls in the midst of the gardens.A tasty Creole styled buffet lunch awaits you at a local restaurant.

Rejoin the boat for a sail up along the coastline with a stop for swimming. Sail into beautiful Marigot Bay where the orginal Dr. Doolittle movie was filmed, before returning to the dock. They leave right from Pointe Seraphine, 50 yards from the ship!

Tip Off: Take along swimwear, beach towels, sunscreen and cameras.

Here's the link: http://www.barefootholidays.com/excursions_all.html#CatamaranDaySail

I think it is a little more than the ship's tour but much, much better!!!!!

Antigua: I would check out this page, http://www.adventureantigua.com/ and decide whether the eco or the xtreme is best for you and pray they have room! We reserved the Eco in October for our May cruise and just loved it! That's the next installment!

Barbados: Go out of the port area gate and get a cab there, work out what you want to see before hand and then work out a price, spend the morning touring with your driver and the afternoon at Accra Beach and have your driver return to take you back to the ship, (15 minutes). Check the Barbados boards for what you want to see.

Okay, hope that helps, let me know what you think.

You are an angel for taking the time to do that for us!! Toonjie's Travels?? How's that for the name of your new agency????

I've emailed both companies and I plan on booking both excursions if they are available. I LOVE your suggestions. I almost want to do the dolphin/whale watching tour but I want to see St. Lucia inland and from the water too, so I guess I'll do the mammals "next time." Did you do the 8 hour cat. excursion or the half-day? I'm wondering if we can do 8 hours on a port day. Seems like it would be cutting it close.

We stopped at Barbados on our last So. Carib cruise but literally got torrential rain the minute the ship docked, so we never saw it. I had planned to go to Crane's Beach and then to another beach on the south coast, but after reading so much about the island, there's much more I want to see. So, I think I'll do what you suggested, talk to a taxi driver/guide and go forth!! I still want to stop at Crane's for a beverage and a "look-sea" (pun intended).

We've been to St. Thomas and St. Martin too but we've actually never been to any of their beaches. This will definitely be a beach cruise for me and I can't wait.

Of course, my DH has to have an emergency root canal Tuesday a.m., and he's convinced he won't be able to travel by Friday. I think otherwise, but we'll see. I think a cruise would be the best R&R we could find for him, especially on that corner aft balcony!!

He doesn't know it, but I've booked tentative reservations (pre-cruise) for the BioBay in Vieques in San Juan and a second day via rental car to the Rain Forest and Luquillo Beach. We'll see if he's up for it!

Again, I am most appreciative.

BTW, when is your "due date?" Would love to pick up a souvenier for your new little one if you and your wife wouldn't mind.

You've been so helpful. Thank you, thank you.

Karen and Sean in Kentucky

You are an angel for taking the time to do that for us!! Toonjie's Travels?? How's that for the name of your new agency????

I've emailed both companies and I plan on booking both excursions if they are available. I LOVE your suggestions. I almost want to do the dolphin/whale watching tour but I want to see St. Lucia inland and from the water too, so I guess I'll do the mammals "next time." Did you do the 8 hour cat. excursion or the half-day? I'm wondering if we can do 8 hours on a port day. Seems like it would be cutting it close.

We stopped at Barbados on our last So. Carib cruise but literally got torrential rain the minute the ship docked, so we never saw it. I had planned to go to Crane's Beach and then to another beach on the south coast, but after reading so much about the island, there's much more I want to see. So, I think I'll do what you suggested, talk to a taxi driver/guide and go forth!! I still want to stop at Crane's for a beverage and a "look-sea" (pun intended).

We've been to St. Thomas and St. Martin too but we've actually never been to any of their beaches. This will definitely be a beach cruise for me and I can't wait.

Of course, my DH has to have an emergency root canal Tuesday a.m., and he's convinced he won't be able to travel by Friday. I think otherwise, but we'll see. I think a cruise would be the best R&R we could find for him, especially on that corner aft balcony!!

He doesn't know it, but I've booked tentative reservations (pre-cruise) for the BioBay in Vieques in San Juan and a second day via rental car to the Rain Forest and Luquillo Beach. We'll see if he's up for it!

BTW, when is your "due date?" Would love to pick up a souvenier for your new little one if you and your wife wouldn't mind.

Great! Glad you liked the suggestions! We did the 8 hour, it's the same one offered thru the ship so they get you back in time, it's just a nicer boat, less people, lunch in a nice restaurant instead of on the boat with the ship's tour. When we did the ship's tour, they didn't even raise the sail! With the one through Barefoot, they sailed down and used power on the way back. You catch the boat right at Pointe Seraphine, so you are a minute's walk from the ship and don't need them to pick you up or anything.

Catamaran tour leaves from dock in front of the large white house just off to the left of center of the picture way in the back

IMG_6121.jpg

Hope your hubbie's root canal goes well. He can always take it easy and, as you said, cruising can be the best place in the world to recuperate, especially since you are handling all the plans. My DW was in her 24th week at the time and I just took it easy on the planning and made sure she got lots of rest, but it was hard because she loves to hike! Her due date is August 28th. You will love the bio bay, we did it last year and we were going to do the one in Vieques this year, but it was cancelled.

Just want to say Ditto to all the posts of thanks for this great review. We are taking this same cruise on July 20th and have been hoping someone would do a AOS review other than the Aruba leg. Have hit the jackpot with yours. Thanks for the reviews and all the tips..

Thursday, May 15th “The Sought of the Seekers, the Adventure Seekers Adventures in Antigua”

Today would have been a good day to sleep in a little since we were taking Eli’s Eco-Tour and didn’t have to be off the ship until 9:30am, but we wanted to do a little shopping in St. John’s and also get off the ship before any big rush so we split the difference with the other port days and got room service breakfast at 8:00am. We’re still pretty far off the coast when we wake up and go out on the balcony. The sun catches the windshield of a very small fishing boat unbelievably far off the coast for its size and that’s the first sign that we are nearing land. We are heading straight in to the island so we have to turn on the TV and look at the bridgecam to see where we are. We have breakfast and as we are finishing, I spot a dolphin, he only surfaced once and then I couldn’t find him again, but at least I finally spotted one.

Today was to be an all sea day in contrast to St. Lucia and it was actually the first excursion we booked way back in October. Eli’s Eco-Tour gets so many great reviews on CC, it’s one of the most sought after excursions I’ve seen on these boards and it was almost comical as we posted on the Meet & Mingle board and couple after couple said they were on the Eco-Tour in Antigua. Think we ended up with 8 different couples or groups on the excursion and there were probably only 4 or so non Meet & Mingle people on the trip. A highly sought after excursion indeed!

We leave the ship around 9:00am and push mom in the wheelchair since we won’t need the scooter being in the boat all day. We locate the store right along the pier where the Eco-Tour boat was to meet us and get mom situated and shoot a few pics of the ship and then DW and I do some shopping.

AOS from in front of Exotica Antugua Boutique on Redcliffe Quay

IMG_6311.jpg

The Eco-tour boat comes right on time and again we are able to get mom on quite easily. It’s great to be with all the now familiar faces of the Adventure Seekers and everyone is busy chatting away catching up on their adventures since the last time we had met. We head out of port and go up the coast and pick up 2 passengers at Sandals. Then its further North up the West coast of Antigua. The coast is just like one big beach and our guides point out that Antigua is known for its 365 beaches, one for every day of the year. (BTW, it’s pronounced Anti ga with a hard g not antigwa with a w. I had had dinner discussions with our tablemates since even the captain had mis-pronounced it the day before. The other big one is Anguilla, everyone uses the Spanish pronunciation and it is a Spanish word meaning eel, but it is a British island and it’s pronounced Angwilla. In our discussion with our tablemate who was a professor and hit it off with my mom, we discover that he thinks I’m an actual cruise critic! Somehow my mom, for whom explaining the internet is like space talk, has given him the impression that I’m a cruise critic and not just a member of Cruise Critic. We just crack up, but are too embarrassed to correct him.)

Our first stop is right in front of Jumby Bay Resort, which is on a private island called Long Island. It’s one of those gorgeous views that you just keep taking pictures of hoping the camera will capture it.

Jumby Bay

IMG_6340.jpg

Our driver gives us around a 15 minute talk on the island and the ultra-wealthy people who inhabit it and the eco structure all around it. It is very near the airport and planes take off and quickly turn to avoid disturbing the ultra-elite! One of the islands inhabitants was of particular interest to us. Robin Leach, of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous fame, used to live right across the lake from us here in Candlewood Lake, CT and we heard even back then that he was building his dream home in Antigua so it was great to see where he moved. You couldn’t see his house from where we were, but our guides were super-knowledgeable and pointed us in the right direction.

Our guides give a really good explanation of the ocean ecology, this is an eco tour after all, and they especially show us examples of what has happened when the wealthy inhabitants of the area try to change things around-every time their beach gets eroded away! Our next stop is on Great Bird Island to take a hike up the hill to see the bird rookeries.

IMG_6363.jpg

There was also snorkeling for those who didn’t want to hike and a delicious lunch was served onboard once we returned from the hike. I’ll post loads of pics from this hike which was only around 10 minutes in length and had only one or two steep climbs.

Eco-Tour boat from the top:

IMG_6371.jpg

There was a gorgeous view from the top and we spent about a half an hour walking around and exploring.

Young hatchling in its nest:

IMG_6353.jpg

Our next stop was Hell’s Gate and you could either snorkel or swim to the rocks and climb them. DW and I swim to the rocks and there were these really cool pre-historic snails our guide pointed out and we all climbed through a cave system, out the other side of the rocks and up onto a natural stone bridge that reminded me of the old one on Aruba before it collapsed. We didn’t want to risk the camera in our swim so I signaled from the top and mom and the boat driver managed to snap this shot.

Do not tell DW's mom she climbed up here!

IMG_6386.jpg

The rocks were coral in nature and really sharp so you had to be careful climbing down. I’m so proud of DW for making it all the way to the top 24 weeks pregnant. She tells me not to show the above picture to her mom if I wanted to live! We swim back to the boat and start to head back down the coast. The last stop was for around a 45 minute snorkel and we have a blast trying to find DW’s favorite fish, the Stoplight Parrot Fish. The crew breaks out the rum punch after our snorkel for the trip back down the coast. They also have some other delicious non-alcoholic ones like guava that mom and DW enjoy. Our trip comes to an end all too fast and we are back at the pier at 4:15pm, just in time to get onboard.

We watch sailaway from the balcony and relax and watch some TV. RCCL’s version of CBS cracks us up, some shows are continually updated and new, but others are repeated over and over. Last year it was Two and a Half Men, it became comical how many times we saw the same episode. This year it was The New Adventures of Old Christine, one of our favorites! They had 2 episodes early in the week repeating and 2 later. Also How I Met your Mother had the same thing- there’s an episode where the characters find out their friend used to be a teen pop star in Canada that just cracks us up. Her name was Robin Sparkles and they find an old video she did that is just a great parody of the 80’s and Canadian accents! Here’s a link to it on Youtube

Gotta love “going to the mall is what it’s all aboot!” It seems like every time we turn on the TV, Robin Sparkles is on. I actually love seeing the same episode over and over now because it means I’m cruising!

It’s our second formal night and we get ready and head up to dinner. I had the Thai Barbecue Chicken, which was just fantastic. After dinner, we hit the show which was Mosaic and I’m so glad we did! This was simply the best show I’ve ever seen on a cruise ship! The cruise director had to announce that no instruments or soundtracks are used during the performance and that all the sounds are made vocally that’s how good these kids were. I guess the best way to describe them is beat-box style, but they were all vocally as good as any American Idol winner. It was just incredible the sounds they could make and the quality of their arrangements. They did a version of Mack the Knife that was astounding! You can check them out at http://www.notaboyband.com, if you do, keep in mind that on the song that is playing there are no instruments, only vocals. We live only an hour from Broadway and I would rank them up there with some of the great off-beat shows like Blue Man Group. DW is not a fan of the typical cruise show with the singers and dancers and she was just blown away and so glad I made her go! After the show, we head right to bed, it’s our big day tomorrow, heading over to Anguilla while mom enjoys her own day at sea on the ship. We turn on the TV…you guessed it, Robin Sparkles-That’s what it’s all aboot!

Leaving Redcliffe Quay:

IMG_6313.jpg

It's unbelievable how big the AOS is, you realize it when you ride in a normal boat beside her:

IMG_6317.jpg

Other tour boats take off as well:

IMG_6322.jpg

Leaving port:

IMG_6321.jpg

Sandals:

IMG_6326.jpg

Approaching North Bay area:

IMG_6329.jpg

Ladera is one of our dream resorts that we have always wanted to go to! You must have had a great time! What an amazing place for a honeymoon! When we did our helicopter tour, we dropped people off at Jalousie and it was a Hilton then. The new owners have really fixed it up from what I've heard.

We spent the first 4 nights of our honeymood at Sandals Halcyon and the last 3 at Ladera. After riding in a cab for almost 1.5 hours to get from Sandlas to Ladera DH was green. He told me there was NO WAY he was taking a cab back...so we took the helicopter.

What an amazing experience, our first helicopter ride, and I must say it's the BEST way to go if you don't like long windy roads. The views you get cannot be match by driving.

Ladera was wonderful, very relaxing, peaceful and the food was wonderful. We DID spend the majority of the time at the Hilton, it was an amazing resort then.

My Dh Is a dentist..I work in his office..tell your Dh that he will feel 100% better after his root canal (I am assuming he has a toothache now). Just make sure he takes his antibiotics if they are prescribed. He will be just fine by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest! Good luck and have a great cruise!

YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL COUPLE!! God bless you on your new arrival. I KNOW you will be wonderful parents.

DH and I are leaving in 14 weeks and 1 day ( I am NOT counting:eek: ) for AOS, Aruba route. We loved the alternate route, so decided to book the Aruba route this time.

We are also staying at the Marriott Stellaris. Booked on Priceline.

And, we also booked 1388 aft. Lucked out, booking late as well.

I cannot tell you how excited I am reading your review, and seeing the pics of the MS and Aft rooms. Also the ports and remembering how beautiful they were.

Thank you for the time and care you put into this review. It will go down as my all time favorite .

Just want to say Ditto to all the posts of thanks for this great review. We are taking this same cruise on July 20th and have been hoping someone would do a AOS review other than the Aruba leg. Have hit the jackpot with yours. Thanks for the reviews and all the tips..

Hey Ojaian! Come join the Meet and Mingle for OUR cruise! ;) We have an active group going and would love for you to join us. :) Register and come and chat. See you there...

Archived