How's the coffee?

upstateny39

We're booked on the Victory to Canada in late July and we're trying to plan ahead about what to pack (and trying to pack lightly!). We're both kind of picky about our morning coffee, though, and I've read a bit on the boards about the Carnival coffee being no good. We know about the free cappuccino in the dining room (still true?), but we're hoping to be able to score a good cup of morning joe (without trucking down several floors to buy something), and since we have a balcony room, we'd love to have room-service coffee in the morning. I've read a few suggestions that the only way to get good coffee is to pack our own French press, but aside from not being able to get boiling water in our cabin, I'm hoping not to add a press to the suitcase as well. Does anybody have any suggestions or thoughts to help our caffeine addiction? Thanks!

I think I'm pretty picky about coffee, and I've never found fault with the room service coffee. It's not Starbucks, it's not Ethiopian or Costa Rican, but there's something about that carafe of coffee on my balcony in the morning! I just can't duplicate that here at home :) You'll have to judge for yourself.

We're booked on the Victory to Canada in late July and we're trying to plan ahead about what to pack (and trying to pack lightly!). We're both kind of picky about our morning coffee, though, and I've read a bit on the boards about the Carnival coffee being no good. We know about the free cappuccino in the dining room (still true?), but we're hoping to be able to score a good cup of morning joe (without trucking down several floors to buy something), and since we have a balcony room, we'd love to have room-service coffee in the morning. I've read a few suggestions that the only way to get good coffee is to pack our own French press, but aside from not being able to get boiling water in our cabin, I'm hoping not to add a press to the suitcase as well. Does anybody have any suggestions or thoughts to help our caffeine addiction? Thanks!

I find the coffee good, dark and hot....which is what I want first thing in the morning.

Of course, I was raised on "cowboy coffee" and spent a hitch in the Marine Corps so I'm not real picky. I do insist on a rich taste, though.

Love the Cappaccino for breakfast in the dining room...but only after about a pot full of the real stuff, black, no sugar.

Hi,

There is nothing like having coffee delivered to your room once you awaken!

It is not as strong as I prefer, but hey, it gets me going until after I shower and head to the ship's coffee equivalent of "Starbuck's." There, I get a cup brewed to my taste and I am ready for the rest of the day!

Don't get picky! You are on vacation, so don't let the small things prevent you from enjoying your cruise!

Lee:D

My traveling companion has to have that first cup of java to get started in the morning and said the coffee is not bad at all, but prefers the coffee in the dining room and room service over the coffee served during the buffet.

It's not bad at all had it every morning and no complaints...save yourself the packing space.

If the regular coffee is not to your taste, there is always the "specialty" coffee bar.:cool:

Nope in my five cruises (Carnival and RCI) never had a good FREE cup of coffee. Last cruise we discovered the extra fee coffee. Excellent. Perfect way to start our day. Two cups in the morning to prepare me for the real stuff, the reason I cruise, those DODs.

The coffee at the buffet and dining room is certainly not as tasty as Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks but it's certainly drinkable. I've never had a bad cup of coffee on a ship. If you are really picky, the specialty coffee would be for you. No more expensive than what you'd pay on land. I'm not picky and prefer to drink whatever is free.;)

To me Carnival coffee (the urn things at the buffet) is adequate, and cappucinno is for children's breakfast ;-) I definitely not pack coffee when I go on a cruise, if you've ever had coffee at a catered meeting, it's the same equipment, the same basic coffee, it's not very strong coffee, but it does the trick.

There's got to be something you look forward to when you go home, right?

As a coffee freak, I find the room service coffee seems better and the buffet coffee a notch lower.

I've been told it's all the same, but certainly doesn't seem it

All in all, it's decent, passable, but not gourmet Sumatra

While I have not tasted CCL's coffee I have had it on other ships and found it mostly undrinkable. Yes, I am picky about my coffee.

Last cruise we did pack a french press and our own good coffee. We ordered a large pot of water (for hot tea) from room service each morning and brewed our own. I only want a cup or 2 in the morning and drink ice tea the rest of the day, so the coffee I do drink I want it to be good coffee!.

We got our french press at Target for around $10 and we pack it in the box it came in loaded up with the coffee.

Bev

One word how most Ships Coffee is and its not SHI..P..

LOUSY. Making great Coffee is also dependent upon the bean and temp. Starbucks just has ok Coffee but you pay a lot more than its worth..eh... and no refills:mad: ...

What is our (USA) only State where Coffee is grown?

A: = In the Sandwich Islands ... the State of Hawaii most known for its Island of KONA.

When on Ships and trips the Water, Hydrogen Di Oxide (H2O), is really the problem... most ships now have desalinization plants aboard for drinking water.. but that product is still full of lots of sodium.... do you like added sodium in your Cup of Coffee?

On Carnival paying for Premium Cups is so much better than the slop they serve as on most ships... if only they used better water then paying for there coffee would make a nice cup....

Yes the water does make the cup of JAVA so much better with good beans..and if only they heated the water to the proper levels also...but you know what happened with McDonalds and there Lap Cups...eh....

:confused:

Coming home each time and having a Good Cup of Coffee the way you like it is probably still the best ..eh...:eek:

The coffee on Carnival is drinkable. In fact, it's pretty good. My wife is picky about her coffee too. Carnival has pretty good coffee. I've done some time in the military so I can't be that picky. Going to Canada? My favorite place to go. I'm going there this year and next year. I've been to Canada more than any other foreign country. Each trip has been by cruise ship.

Looks like there are lots of opinions on coffee so I'll throw mine out there.

MY OPINION--

The room service coffee is "okay" but I enjoy it out on the balcony so somehow that makes it better.

The dining room coffee is better, not the best in the world, but good enough to be enjoyed.

The buffet coffee I absolutely can do without. I skip that at all costs. If I want coffee and don't want to eat b'fast in the dining room, I have it delivered.

It may all be the same coffee and I'm warped in the head........but you asked for opinions, so there ya go. hee hee

I am a total coffee junkie. I love my high end coffee, and can be pretty picky. Is Carnival coffee fabulous? Not really, but it isn't bad and isn't something to get totally worked up over. You're on vacation, so by default, it's going to taste pretty good because you weren't the one who had to brew it...sipping it on your balcony as you watch the sunrise, it's going to taste even better. Don't worry about packing a French-press or coffee maker. Do you really want to be making coffee on your vacation? You can always pack some flavored creamers you enjoy to jazz up your coffee...less work, and takes up less room.

Archived