What is this about the Mariner being rocky?

I have read in some of the posts that the Mariner is a bit rocky. How bad is it? Are all the Voyager class ships like this or just the Mariner. We have sailed Majesty of the Seas in the past and never felt a thing- is the motion attributable to the size of the ship?

Tess

As I just posted in another thread, I just came back from a 7-day Eastern Caribbean on the Mariner of the Seas (4/4/04). The ship movement was very insignificant. icon_smile.gif

Take Bonine every day (and for double protection, wear a pair of Sea Band) you will be fine. Happy sailing.

March 28, 2004 - Mariner of the Seas

I sailed the Mariner in November and experienced quiet a bit of rocking. The seas didn't seem rough, but the ship was swaying a lot. I've also been on the Voyager and Navigator and never felt any movement on them at all. Hope this helps!

M_M_s.gif

MS Mermoz...........1977

Emerald Seas........1978

Dolphin...........1980

Big Red Boat....1984

Nieu Amsterdam.....1985

Carnivale.........1986

Costa Riviera……………….Feb 1988

Song Of America…………..May 1990

Zenith……………………….May 1993

Voyager……………………..Feb 2002

Navigator……………………Feb 2003

Mariner.........Nov 2003

Radiance........Mar 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cfurry:

Hi Florida Beach. How was your Mariner cruise? We're cruising on her next month, same itinerary. Thanks!

Safe travels,

cfurry<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hurricane season in our state usually starts in early June. So you should have a calm sea for your cruise. Jersey Cruiser is right about the rocking ship in November, since it is the end of the hurricane season.

My Eastern Caribbean cruise was a blast. RCCL caters to all age groups. Everyone should be able to find something to do at all time. The ice show was great provided the postage stamp size of the ice skating rink.

RCCL temporarily replace Larbadee with an extended stay in San Juan. Old San Juan is small enogh to walk so don't waste your money on the sightseeing tour. Fort El Morro is not to be missed. Take the free Trolly (yellow and green color bus) to City Hall, then walk to the Fort. On the way back, go along the sea toward Princesa. In the afternoon, we took the Rain Forest Tour ($30/person), it was nice. Local people are extremely nice, they are your wealth of information.

Happy sailing icon_smile.gif

March 28, 2004 - Mariner of the Seas

our 3/7 sailing was smooth as it gets. Rocky only in front. At times I felt I was not on a ship. You can tell in the dining room if your water glass moves. Ours didn't the whole week.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on the Zuiderdam

Til we sail on the Mariner of The Seas RCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until we sail on the Disney Wonder

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

til we sail the ms Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We have sailed twice on Explorer with almost no motion felt, but in Feb. on the Adventure the first sea day was a bit rough and I felt a little sick. Probably should have not read as much as I did, but having never had continuous swaying before didn't think it would last as long as it did. Otherwise no problems with motion. I don't think you can predict it and I still think the bigger ships have less motion felt. I didn't take anything and didn't need to after the one day.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02

Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03

Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03

Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04

Although I don't have a lot to compare... Last week's trip on the Mariner was MUCH rockier than our trip last year on Princess. However, I did not get seasick at all. Which I think is because of the massive size of the ship.

From what I read months ago, there have been problems with the crew utilizing the new stabalization controls on the ship. Captain Johnny (the regular) is out on vacation for a few weeks and we had a stand-in. Although this is pure speculation, I have a feeling that it may be the crew changes.

One thing to note was that the ship did not rock one bit during any of the ice show times. Apparantly, this is something they can control at the cost of slowing the ship down significantly.

Just my 2 cents...

Kevin

Mariner of the Seas 3/04

Grand Princess 2/03

If the seas are calm you will have smooth sailing. If the wind & waves pick up then some motion. We were on the Explorer with 25' waves. It was a blast, dancing was a little tough. Learn to go with the flow.

Sovereign 598

Sovereign 599

Sovereign 500

Voyager 1100

Explorer 501

Radiance 1101

Majesty 302

Adventure 402

Enchantment 1102

Monarch 103

Legend 403

Navigator 1103

Mariner 304

Sovereign 504

Serenade 1104

I hope everyone falls for the "Mariner is rocky" story. More cabins for me to book icon_wink.gif

Three Voyager class ships so far and Mariner is no more (or no less) stable than any of the others.

This is one of those ENDLESS debates that gets the regulars so riled up.

FACT1: You are on a ship. A very large ship.

FACT2: You are on an ocean. A very large ocean.

Add up facts 1 & 2 and what do you get? MOTION IN THE OCEAN.

My suggestion is to try it once. We did a February cruise and it felt rough heading out and ROCK STEADY heading back. High seas going out and pretty calm ones heading back.

Go figure. You can tell from below just how much I'm worried about it icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;9;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

9/19/2004 Mariner of the Seas

*** Royal Hounds Cruise ***

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;30;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

1/30/2005 Mariner of the Seas

*** Western Caribbean ***

Guest OBAYbee

We sailed Mariner of the Seas on the New Year's Eve cruise and found it to be significantly rocky twice. I have cruised on all of the Voyager class ships and the Mariner, for whatever reason, did seem to have more of a rocking movement. The dates we cruised were within 2 months of each other so I am not sure I can say it was the season that made the difference.

It wasn't bad by any means, but it WAS noticeable. Especially at dinner and during the evening shows.

I wonder if it matters which cruise you take. We have sailed on Disney both Western and EAstern and the Eastern route is definitely rockier than the Western. Maybe it's because there are more days at sea or the current is just stronger? Not sure, but a lot of the crew also have commented that the Eastern is noticeably rockier.

most ships that leave the east coast of florida and have to cross the gulf stream experience a little rockiness. The captains will usually warn you if it is going to be rougher than normal (which has been the case the past few months) this usually occurs the first and last night of the cruise....

Actually, due to current flows and its influence on wave heights, each side (Eastern & Western) has times of the year when they are flatter than the other side. Historically, Hurricanes tend to affect the Western side of Florida June - August. The eastern side of Fl, in general, is affected from Sept - Nov. Additionally, Mariner may be rockier due to the distance and speed it has to travel vs other Voyager ships. Whenever I've left out of Port Canaveral, the first and last nights (when the ships travel the fastest) are always rougher than when I've left out of FLL or MIA.

Guest OBAYbee

ruttie!!

I think you may have figured out the reason Mariner rocks more so then others. We did sail out of Port Canaveral.

All the other times we sailed from Miami. Farther distance and same amount of time would require faster speeds at times.

I think you've solved it. At least as far as I am concerned you have.

I did not find the Mariner to be any rockier than any other ship I have been on, but I did always feel a movement on the ship. We were on her last week also, and while the movement is not something that will cause motion sickness or make you uncomfortable, it is always there. It certainaly is not the reason you shouldnt sail on the ship, it was an awesome trip and we had a great time and are going right back in september.

As Kevin said above, we noticed quite a difference when they slowed the ship down, you barely noticed the movement then.

Janet

Mariner of the Seas 3/04

Enchantment of the Seas 9/03

Explorer of the Seas 7/03

Carnival Triumph 2/03

Imagination 7/02

Jubilee 4/02

Sensation 2/98

Carnivale 10/91

WE've been on Explorer and Voyager in rough waters (August,September). Didn't feel a thing.

Then Navigator (February, calm waters, sailed from Miami) was EXTREMELY rocky. It was so uncomfortable that at the C& A party the captain was asked if he "forgot" to turn stabilisators on. icon_smile.gif Of course, it was meant as a joke, but the reason for this question was that the ship was very rocky.I saw many people wearing sea sick patches.

It can be rocky on any ship at any time no matter how big the ship is. The biggest ship in the world is still just a speck on the surface of the ocean.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

I have to say it did concern me when I read all the Mariner rocking stories icon_rolleyes.gif

But on that same note, each route and ship differs....

On the AOS and NOS we never felt movement, well at least that it would not make passengers sick. On the NOS last Aug. on the last day we were in the after math of the hurricanes passing etc. I could see from my balcony the waves being so high but it amazed me that I did not feel the swaying on the ship. I am not like all others so people may differ from what I say, on the same note I don't think the Mariner will be a huge difference. I will let you know in a few weeks what I think about the rocking.

Either way, it seems that the Mariner does rock a bit more but at least from what I have read it seems not enough to make people sick. Funny thing I am taking along a group that has not cruised in over 7yrs. and I was a bit nervous when I heard about the rocking Mariner, as the last cruise we all did was very, very rocky and I rave about how the new Voyager class doesn't sway or rock and now I hope the Mariner does not let me down... icon_cool.gif

Carnival, Fantasy "1996"

Adventures of the Seas 9-15-02

Navigator of the Seas 8-23-03

**MARINER OF THE SEAS***

***May 23, 2004***

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

***Explorer of the Seas***

***SEPTEMBER 19th, 2004***

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;9;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500I can't believe TWO cruises in one year!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/img]

I sailed on Explorer on March 20th, and the seas were pretty rough. You could definitely feel the movement a lot. Lots of noises in our cabin at night (light fixtures and picture frame moving...). We saw a wave hit higher than the 4th deck one time too! And the 2nd formal night, the table of 8 next to us didn't even make it. There were a lot of empty seats in the dining room. A few of us felt a little nauseous, but it was nothing that Gilbert at the Schooner Bar couldn't fix!

One up-side of the high seas: they didn't empty the solarium pool, which had turned into a really great wave pool!!! We had SO much fun! Still one of my fondest memories of the cruise. You gotta turn the negatives into positives!!

Explorer of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;3;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The Mariner is in some cases almost twice as high above the water level as other ships, like Disney, Holland, or Princess. Just compare her in port on Sunday against the Wonder or Fantasy BIG height difference. I went on her Dec/03 and if the wind was stong and blowing broadside she would lean. The Captain would use the stabilizers to straighten her up. This would take their effect away from adjusting for wave action. I surprised RCCL could actually build a ship this high without adding allot of draft, but they did it. I love the extra height though.

We leave Sunday on the Mariner. Our cabins are waaaaaaaaaaaaay in the front of the ship, deck 9. Pleeeeeeease tell me I won't be seasick at night. (I felt seasick on our previous Costa cruises back in 1979 and 1986.)

I will take Bonine.

Thanks,

Sue

Costa Cruise Lines - 1979 & 1986

Leaving 4/11 on Mariner of the Seas

We returned from the Navigator on 4/4 and that ship rocked like I've never experienced before. The pools were splashing out all over the place. Fortunately, the motion didn't effect any of us, but I witnessed lots of people suffering. We have sailed the eastern caribbean route 4 of the last 6 years that exact same week (twice on the Explorer). When looking out at the ocean, the waves did not appear any rougher than in the past, so why all the additional movement? This is what a gentlemen I spoke with at the pool suggested (he had sailed with this same captain 3 times prior, sorry I don't remember his name but I do remember he was Canadian): Every time he had sailed with this Captain the ride was really rough because he was known for not using the stabilizers. He said that more fuel is burned when the stabilizers are used and that effects the bottom-line which determines their bonuses! It sure made sense to me when you put it in those terms why the ride felt rougher when the waves didn't appear any worse. Especially with fuel prices increasing!

Archived