Late Departure Cruise

We are thinking about going on the Serenade of the Seas out of San Juan and noticed that the departure time is 10:00 PM.

How late can we board the ship?

When do they start boarding the ship?

What time do they do the muster drill?

I am accustomed to12PM boarding with 5PM departure and 4:30 drill.

RDHND

We did this cruise in March. I'm not sure what the deadline for boarding is but the muster drill was in between the 2 dinners. Although the suggested boarding time was around 4pm, many people got on much earlier than that. This is a wonderful cruise. With all the time you have to spend in San Juan on departure day, it's like having 6 islands in 7 days. It's a beautiful, classy ship. The service was excellent and the food in the dining room was great. They said they were chosen number one in all the RCCL fleet.

We are booked on this ship for 09. I love PR! I left out of that port many years ago and don't remember the muster drill times. Sorry I can't help you with that ?. All I know is I loved Radiance twice, Jewel once and looking forward to Serenade. Definately a great class of ships!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks MDSue

We were thinking of getting a flight in on the depature day and it would not get in until 2:30+/-. Assuming an hour to collect bags and get a taxi we should be able to make the boarding time. Hard to imagine the muster that late in the evening... I have not done it in the dark before.

RDHND

If you can, I would fly in a day ahead of time. That way there will be no worrys if your plane is delayed. We spent the night in the recently renovated Howard Johnson's in Old San Juan and had a blast touring the city. The hotel is in the center of Old Town, in an old restored building that blends right in the architecture of the city. We has a balcony that overlooked the town square which was bustling with activity. We felt very safe walking around, even at night. In the morning we walked all around this amazing, beautiful town. It is the second oldest city in the western [?] hemishere, the buildings are colorful and beautifully restored. There are stores and restaurants and tons of history within easy walking distance, not to mention the old forts. It is so worth the extra day to see Old San Juan or some of the other interseting places on the island.

I didn't expect to be so impressed with Old San Juan, but I was. You'll love this trip:)

One more story from the "old fart"! My first cruise.....on a cruise ship that is......was sailing out of San Juan. It was a 10 PM sailing.

My friend and I had booked everything thru the cruise line (Princess) and we caught an early morning flight out of Seattle for Chicago, and then Chicago to San Juan.

We were a bit late leaving Chicago..........and arrived in San Juan at just before 9PM. The Princess representitive was there to meet us, and help get our luggage into a mini van, which took us to the ship.

The main gang plank had already been removed, and the one thing that I remember is the ships porters taking our suitcases and holding them on their heads........they walked up an employee gang plank.

Meanwhile...they had lowered a "ships stairs" for us to board.

Our muster drill was held in the upper bar........that was always filmed on "Love Boat". There were two of us!!

Aaaah........the good life!!:) :D :)

Rick

Archived