Portable Digital Storage

MandD

Assuming you are referring to the Media Backup - Photo Edition, Wonderful Wife ordered one for me based on glowing ad-speak on QVC but we sent it back after I read the specs (capacity claim of 40,000 images is based on < 1 MB per image). It's ok if you don't have too many images and aren't too computer savvy since it's search software finds images on your computer and does most of the work for you, but if you can configure backup software or copy files on your own, you can get 4x-5x the storage on a regular external hard drive for the same price. It also has no provision for downloading direct from media cards, so it has limited use while travelling except to back up images already downloaded to a laptop.

An ok unit, but be sure it's what you want/need.

Dave

Assuming you are referring to the Media Backup - Photo Edition, Wonderful Wife ordered one for me based on glowing ad-speak on QVC but we sent it back after I read the specs (capacity claim of 40,000 images is based on < 1 MB per image). It's ok if you don't have too many images and aren't too computer savvy since it's search software finds images on your computer and does most of the work for you, but if you can configure backup software or copy files on your own, you can get 4x-5x the storage on a regular external hard drive for the same price. It also has no provision for downloading direct from media cards, so it has limited use while travelling except to back up images already downloaded to a laptop.

An ok unit, but be sure it's what you want/need.

Dave

Dave, you mentioned you can get 4 or 5 times the storage space by using a regular external hard drive. Such as what??? Any specific one or item? Would appreciate your response. Going on a two week European cruise in September and would really like to backup my photos without taking a laptop. Thanks for your assistance.

Dave, you mentioned you can get 4 or 5 times the storage space by using a regular external hard drive. Such as what??? Any specific one or item? Would appreciate your response. Going on a two week European cruise in September and would really like to backup my photos without taking a laptop. Thanks for your assistance.

I was referring to a plain old USB external drive. The Polaroid drive referred to by the OP is a 40GB external drive with software onboard for searching for and copying picture files on your PC or Laptop hard drive. It has no provision for reading directly from media cards, so without a computer, it's the same as a standard USB drive like a WD My Book or USB-powered Passport which cost about one quarter as much per GB.

Without a PC, you're choices are limited to portable DVD burners with card readers built in or sophisticated viewing devices like the Epson or Jobo storage/viewers. I have an Epson P2000 (replaced by the P3000 now) that I would recommend in a heartbeat regardless of it's somewhat pricey nature. Great for storage, viewing and zooming on its fantastic 4" screen and sharing photos at the dinner table.

Dave

Thank you Dave and Bruce for your suggestions. I constantly read the boards, but just found this discussion section last night. Since I absolutely love photography and cruising, it's right up my alley. :)

Both of you stay well.

Archived