Marco Polo airport to Venice hotel

We're staying in Venice pre-cruise and the only thing I haven't looked into is the trip from the airport into central Venice. Our hotel is located near San Marco. Questions:

--Are the public vaporettos close to the air terminals (walkable)

--Are the vaporettos the most efficient way to get to central Venice (costwise)

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated

We're staying in Venice pre-cruise and the only thing I haven't looked into is the trip from the airport into central Venice. Our hotel is located near San Marco. Questions:

--Are the public vaporettos close to the air terminals (walkable)

--Are the vaporettos the most efficient way to get to central Venice (costwise)

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated

The vaporetto terminal could not be described as close to the airport especially with cases. I believe there is some sort of shuttle but you`ll have to check that out with airport.

The vaporettos would be the cheapest transport to central Venice but not always the most convenient. Airport to Venice hotel is not an easy trip with luggage

I believe from the airport you have 3 options.

From the water dock..which I believe is a short walk from the airport, although I think there are shuttles available..you could take either a water taxi direct to your hotel...expensive though, I think in the region of 100 euros. From here you could also take the Alilaguna which is a type of water bus which will stop at St Marks.

The third option is to take the number 5 land bus directly outside the airport to Piazzale Roma. You can then take the vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to St. Marks.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

janfran813, the above link is my Venice review which includes directions beginning with landing at Venice Marco Polo Airport to getting to our hotel. If the link does not work, the trip report can be found on fodors, in the search bar, enter Julie_Hurst, select Italy, & click Search. The trip report title is Venice Trip Report.

I also would like to suggest:

1. Contact your hotel for their opinion of the best option. However, have a good map to review their suggestions; our hotel's suggestion was not the best way. If you buy a Brendt & Freytag map of Venice at Borders, Barnes & Nobles, or your local map store, you can easily map your route. This map includes the vaporetto routes (with arrows), vaporetto #s, & the stops.

2. It is important to know how many bridges you must scale to reach your hotel from the vaporetto. For instance, scaling the Rialto with bags is horrible. Sometimes, simply disembarking the vaporetto on the correct side of the Rialto will ease a lot of pain! So plotting the best course is a good idea.

We catch the bus at the airport, which takes us to Piazzale Roma (bus & vaporetto outdoor terminal. The bus is just a few euros. Then we take the vaporetto to the best (least # of bridges) vaporetto stop (few euros).

The water taxi is 100 euros. The Alilaguna, to me, is the long way around & I'm not sure if it goes past the San Marco area, which means if your hotel is further, you would need to transfer to a vaporetto or walk.

Hope you enjoy Venice. We love it!

Thanks so much twoatsea. I have purchased the maps and have a vague idea about the route. Thanks for the heads up on the bridges and contacting our hotel! I guess I'm obsessing about actually knowing the EXACT route/vaporetto # and all of that. I'm usually more laid back than that! I'll take a chill pill and enjoy our adventure as it comes!

Your welcome. Personally I do not think you are obsessing over the vapo #. I would definitely want to know myself. Sometimes the vapo ticket booths are very busy & there's a long line & folks are in a hurry. So knowing what you want rather than trusting the ticket booth employee is a good idea. For most hotels the #82 is the one. But that depends on the location of your hotel, obviously.

Either way, to buy a vapo ticket you need to know either the # or the stop.

Enjoy

Thanks so much twoatsea. I have purchased the maps and have a vague idea about the route. Thanks for the heads up on the bridges and contacting our hotel! I guess I'm obsessing about actually knowing the EXACT route/vaporetto # and all of that. I'm usually more laid back than that! I'll take a chill pill and enjoy our adventure as it comes!

Try emailing the hotel you have a reservation with and asking them what vaporetta # would be the closest to them, and also make sure you know for SURE what side of the canal you are on. The B&B we stayed at last May actually emailed us extensive directions for how to get to the hotel on the vaporetta via the Main canal or the Lido route to Zattere landing. The Lido route is a back way and, except for rush hour times for locals, was not crowded and easier to navigate with luggage, but then our hotel was on the Guidecca canal on the opposite side of the Grand Canal from St. Mark's Square.

We always take a water taxi to our hotel. Sure it's expensive, but so is the whole trip. After flying all night, the last thing I want to do is lug my suitcases onto a vaporetto filled with people. If you're travelling light and can maneuver steps and bridges, you'll be ok. We used Venezia Taxi located in the arrivals terminal. Their price included a shuttle to the dock and water taxi to our hotel, about 100E. Venice is magical, so whatever way you decide to get to your hotel will work. Have a wonderful trip.

Joan

Joan made a good point. If you get flustered by crowded buses & hauling luggage or you have more than one wheelie bag, you probably would not want the vaporetto option. Personally, we prefer the vaporetto because it is the Venice reality & flavor we like. But then we only have one 22" wheelie bag & backpack each & we map the walking route with the least amount of bridge stairs. Actually our Venice apartment lodging is perfectly located for us to get off at San Marco & walk thru the square (no bridges). It's a great arrival for us - but then not for all!

Enjoy

Thanks much for the varied advice. After a morning of research, I think I have it nailed. I found our stop (Right in front of San Marco) and all of the various #'s of the vaporetto that make the stop from the airport.

We too love to travel by getting the feel of the local culture and rubbing shoulders with the locals. We plan on packing light so schlepping shouldn't be a problem.

Again, thanks and happy travels!

Jan

We just returned from Venice followed by a HAL Noordam Cruise. I would highly recommend a private water taxi from the airport. We stayed near St. Mark's also (The Loconda Orseolo). We were very tired from our transatlantic flight so we considered the private water taxi a treat to ourselves. It was well worth the money, since it was so relaxing and convenient. We were able to take plenty of photos along the ride and really enjoy our first views of Venice. Save the Vaporetto for when you are well rested and ready to venture out to sightsee.

We used the "vap" to get to Cannaregio and to Murano and both times we saw people hauling luggage onto the very crowded boats. It really made us glad we had chosen the private water taxi for our arrival and departure to Venice.

Have a wonderful trip!

If you never think you will do it again...take the water taxi. It is an incredible way to enter the city and it is a better deal than a gondola ride. Well worth the money plus it saves you plenty of time.

We just returned from Venice followed by a HAL Noordam Cruise. I would highly recommend a private water taxi from the airport. We stayed near St. Mark's also (The Loconda Orseolo). We were very tired from our transatlantic flight so we considered the private water taxi a treat to ourselves. It was well worth the money, since it was so relaxing and convenient. We were able to take plenty of photos along the ride and really enjoy our first views of Venice. Save the Vaporetto for when you are well rested and ready to venture out to sightsee.

We used the "vap" to get to Cannaregio and to Murano and both times we saw people hauling luggage onto the very crowded boats. It really made us glad we had chosen the private water taxi for our arrival and departure to Venice.

Have a wonderful trip!

Didn't you just love the Loconda Orseolo? We stayed there pre-cruise in May and I just can't stop raving about it. Gigi, Barbara, etc were so wonderful. One of my bags was lost coming in from Rome, and after filling out the report at the Venice airport and telling Gigi about it, he called every hour for me until they found my luggage and had it delivered. And what about those chocolate crepes? I can almost taste it now.

We just returned from our cruise and also stayed at the Locanda Orseolo post cruise. It was magical! The crepes are delicious. We also used the water taxi from the ship to the hotel. We tried to find someone to share the taxi but couldn't find anyone going to the Locanda Orseolo that morning. In addition, it was pouring down the morning we disembarked. It was fun to enter the Orseolo from the water taxi and leave the same way. If you have one piece of luggage you can take the public transportation to St. Mark's Square. Once there you will have two small bridges to the hotel. We had a very early flight out of Venice so we needed the water taxi again. After you arrive at the dock, it is a 7 minute covered walk to the airport terminal. I can't believe I was in Venice yesterday!

We're staying at the Locanda Orseolo pre-cruise in October and I've been reading every review and comment I can find about the B&B! Everything I hear makes me more excited about our upcoming 2 night stay. We're hoping that the water won't be too high to take the water taxi right to their water window!

Thanks for sharing about the Locanda!! Just can't wait!:D

We're staying at the Locanda Orseolo pre-cruise in October and I've been reading every review and comment I can find about the B&B! Everything I hear makes me more excited about our upcoming 2 night stay. We're hoping that the water won't be too high to take the water taxi right to their water window!

Thanks for sharing about the Locanda!! Just can't wait!:D

You won't be sorry you booked LO for your pre-cruise stay. And you must have the chocolate crepes! Choice of banana, pear or cookie filling.

Water was too high for us when we came pre-cruise. But we were able to take it going to the cruise terminal. I love the pictures of us crawling out of that window. :)

We stayed at Venice Resort, 3 mintues from the airport for our one night post cruise. It just made it easier since we had a 6:50 AM flight.

We will be arriving in Venice on Saturday and staying at Locanda Orseolo. I think we will probably take the water taxi there. I would appreciate it if any of you who did take the taxi, if you could let me know how much tip you gave.

Thanks

We will be arriving in Venice on Saturday and staying at Locanda Orseolo. I think we will probably take the water taxi there. I would appreciate it if any of you who did take the taxi, if you could let me know how much tip you gave.

Thanks

We paid 95 euros for the private water taxi. Because that is over $150 USD, and because our driver was kind of a jerk, we didn't give him any tip. (Locanda Orseolo insisted the water was not too high and we could be dropped off directly there, but the taxi driver didn't want to go through the canals and only dropped us off at San Marco, and really wanted to drop us at Rialto Bridge with all our luggage)

Others may have a different story or viewpoint.

Archived