Food question?

Hot2Travel

After 20 years of cruising I have never seen or experienced a 'bad' menu, or had an 'off' cruise. I am however, looking forward to your recitation of all of the menus! Recite away!! :)

I'll need to know what day the cruise starts. :D

I haven't had a bad meal yet on Carnival. Everything tastes good. I did experiment one time and order a vegetarian dish, just to see what it tasted like, and didn't enjoy the flavor so my waiter brought me something else. (he insisted) I normally like vegetarian dishes but this one just wasn't outstanding. The waitstaff want your dining experience to be great so never hesitate to mention it if you don't really enjoy the food. They will bring you something else.;)

Going on CCL cruise this fall on Fantasy out of N.O.La. Does CCL basically serve the same menu and quality on all ships?:cool:

What is your favorite CCL dinning room:

I know you weren't asking WHICH dining room.;)

salad? ... Mongolian Steak Salad at lunch in dining room

entrée? ... Chilean Sea Bass and Beef Wellington

appetizer? ... Duck - oh so good - order two!

desert? ... The French pastries at lunch in dining room

Hey Hot2 - Retired chef from Commander's Palace, so you know I know food.:D I like the food on the ships that leave from N.O. (my hometown) best because they seem to put a bit more 'cajun' in their cuisine. The food was better on the Holiday when she was in N.O. than it is now that she's in Mobile.

Someone mentioned Maine lobster and Porterhouse steak - neither of which are available on Carnival ships (nor RCCL nor Princess, in my experience).

Thanks Cotton, my post was not very clear...Am requesting favorite foods. My appreciation to all who have replied....Keep em coming as I will be on board Fantasy in the fall.:)

I think the menues are basically the same. They may change on occaision but they change fleet wide I believe.

I think the food is great and yes, as another post stated we always try something we wouldn't normally get at home. If you don't like it send it back and go with something else.

I pulled a menu off the web for Carnival ships and it was the same to the day when I sailed on the Spirit in April. I read the one I had printed off the web each morning then would stop by the dining room during the day where they had the dinner menu posted and it was the same. Dining room food was fabulous. Buffet was so-so. During the last formal night, buffet was gross and I was really disappointed because I didn't want to get dressed up again & wanted to just eat at the buffet. A burger would have been good but they closed down the grill every day at 6pm so I missed out on something edible. From now on, I think I'll go to the dining room everynight. Breakfast & lunch at the buffet was fine but dinner wasn't good IMO.

Here are my faves:

Appetizers: Tiger shrimp cocktail, west indian roasted pumpkin soup, strawberry bique (chilled strawberry cream soup with mint-yum), chilled cream of peaches, mango cream

Entree: Lobster, rack of lamb, roasted prime rib, new york steak, filet mignon, chateaubriand,

Dessert: 1st: Bitter & Blanc (vanilla bread pudding with vanilla sauce), 2nd: warm chocolate melting cake

Salad - Caesar

Appetizer - Escargot (always have it on a cruise...never anywhere else!! LOL)

Main - Lobster and Prime Rib

Dessert - Creme Brulee or Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

But now I know I need to try the bitter and Blanc and Duck appetizer. I can't wait...only 69 days!!!

:D

Bitter & Blanc is the best dessert I've ever tasted. Beats the chocolate melting cake IMO. It is served warm, very sweet & gooey yet crusty at the same time and they pour the hot vanilla sauce over the top, punch a hole in the center so the sauce gets inside. OMG!

On the Freedom:

Salad : they all looked good on paper and when others ate them, but never had one the whole week on board

Entree : Lobster or the Snapper

Appetizer : same as Salad

Dessert : Warm chocolate melting cake or Bitter and Blanc

Sorry to have to report this.

We were on Conquest two years ago and thought every meal was great. Didn't have a bad one. BUT, we are just off Fantasy last month and were very disappointed with the food. Ordered Filet and Beef Wellington on two different nights but couldn't eat it. Steak was so tough couldn't chew it. We were crusing with people that were first timers so this left me a little embarrassed since I had told them how wonderful carnival's food is. We ended up ordering hamburgers in dining room last two nights...they were good. Some things were better but nothing was great like on Conquest. We have one more cruise scheduled this year on Victory sure hope food is better.

Salad: I never order but Jenn does sometimes and whatever she's tried has been decent.

Appetizer: Shrimp cocktail; almost any of the soups but especially the pumpkin.

Entree: The duck on our first Miracle formal night was one of the best things I've eaten on any of our cruises, any venue. Otherwise, it's gotta be the lamb.

Dessert: Not my favorite course as I always think the souffles are "eggy". Cheese and fruit tray is not a bad way to end the meal.

Archived