Day Sails and Tipping of First Mate

NoVa Mimi

I know there are a number of folks that have gone on a private day sail while in St. Thomas. What is the usual amount for tipping of the First Mate? I know it can vary if service is outstanding, etc. but how much is the norm for good service. There will be three of us, my DH, DS (17y/o) and myself. I understand that tips are their only source of income for this job (right?) and we do not want to offend anyone. The excursion itself isn't inexpensive, but that should not affect the First Mate as he/she does not set rates and nobody has forced us to go on one of these private day sails. I want to be fair and not offend the individual for their service. Also, am I correct in understanding one does not tip the owner/Captain? Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way!

I have been looking into a daysail also and have noticed some companies who say 15-20% of your sail cost is customary. I cannot tell you how they are paid and who expects tips. May they split the 15-20% between them? I'm really not sure either. I'm figuring the tip right into my cost which will be close to $100 tip, so I'm prepared as long as we receive good service:) I hope your enjoy~!

• 1 month later...

We always tip around 20% unless we have had a not so good time. I heard somewhere that this does not go to the captains, but I cannot remember where. It might have been a speech the captain gave us before we got off saying if the first mates gave you a good time, tips would be appreciated, or something like that. Obviously they cannot MAKE you tip them and I have seen many people who haven't, but most people do. If we are in a group, which we normally are, one of us gives the total tip to the crew, not each of us hand a $20 bill. The crew doesn't really have time to check your wad of money to see how much you gave since everyone else is trying to get off the boat at the same time, and some boats even just hold a jar for tips! Hope this helps!

Archived