Free-Stlye Cruising - What's Your Opinion

musclehead

Then its not freestyle anymore but two dining times 6 and 8.

This is the major problem I found with FreeStyle dining if you arrive at the wrong time you have to wait and it could be long. This of course negates the whole concept of anytime dining. I was with another couple who hated to wait a hour or more so we landed up paying at the specialty dining

Its like everything else some love it other hate it.

i

Have sailed NCL 9 times so far on 6 different ships and have yet to wait more than 5 minutes or so for a table in the main dining rooms. Only time we spent 2 hours or more for dinner was on the Sea or the Wind a few years ago when we were seated at a table for 8 and the waiter ``lost'' a few of the orders for awhile.

Dianne

We were thrilled when we heard our cruise on RCCL's Jewel of the Seas in October will offer "Mytime Dining." We cruise on Princess, RCCL, Carnival, and NCL because we like to see new production shows, checkout new ships, and try different restaurants. We enjoy seeing the different decor on each cruiseship.

What is different about NCL is that the costs are so low on many of their specialty restaurants. When we cruise on Princess and RCCL, we usually pay $20-$25 for a specialty restaurant, so finding a specialty restaurant for $10-$15pp is a great bargain considering what you get.

What we love on NCL is the different size, decor, and theme of each restaurant. The French LeBistro is a small romantic restaurant and a bargain at only $15pp. My personal favorite is the Asian restaurant's steak terriyaki and hot'nsour soup with tempura=yummy!

Another great thing on NCL is the entertainment. I absolutely loved the show with the hypnotist, and we dance more on NCL than any other cruiseline because they have such great bands.

For us, variety is the spice of life.

Nothing free anymore anywhere even the free stuff they advertsie on TV requires the paying of a "modest" shipping and handling charge.

Free style could however be taken to mean no style or any style you wish so it can still be confusing to the novice cruiser.

I don't understand what you are talking about. The main dining room and one restaurant, as well as the buffet of course, are always no charge and no reservations.

The Italian, Mexican, and Blue Lagoon are free.

I don't understand what you are talking about. The main dining room and one restaurant, as well as the buffet of course, are always no charge and no reservations.

I was wondering the same thing and for those who talk about an hours wait: Like some others we have been on 7 NCL freestyle cruises and never waited more than a couple of minutes except when there was group of about 20 CC members. We did wait, even with a reservation about 15 or 20 minutes. Other times there have 2 of us, 4 or 6 and just can't understand the problem

Nita

Another great thing on NCL is the entertainment. I absolutely loved the show with the hypnotist, and we dance more on NCL than any other cruiseline because they have such great bands.

For us, variety is the spice of life.

I agree, Leafpeeper. DH & I truly enjoy the variety different cruise lines afford us. We cruise on other lines as well as NCL. We enjoy traditional dinner seating and we enjoy the freestyle concept as well.

We enjoy Carnival's piano bars more than piano bars on other lines; enjoy set seating on Carnival & Princess and enjoy the presentation of the food on our plates on X.

We've truly never had a cruise yet that we didn't thoroughly enjoy for the different offerings each ship and line afforded. Variety keeps us going back and back and back to cruise some more.;)

Dianne

I must be doing something right, as well. I've never even looked at pager on any ship. I guess we're not tied into eating at any particular time, so I 'spose we end up eating when everyone else has waited for an hour. :)

Disclaimer: I'm not saying they don't hand out pagers and people don't wait for an hour to eat.

I skipped from the question to the end of posts without reading anything in between. To answer your question, I love Freestyle cruising! I can't imagine doing anything else. :)

Oh, Ms belp, you missed out on an entralling etymological discussion

yawn.jpg

of the word "free" and it's nuances.:p

Charlie

On the last NCL cruise I took, the Italian restaurant had been changed to an extra pay restaurant, and the Mexican restaurant required reservations. The Blue Lagoon, the buffet and the two main restaurants were free and did not require reservations.

We don't have to wait in the main restaurant because we like to eat early, so we go up when the restaurant opens. I did see people waiting and with pagers on one evening when we got up there an hour after our usual time, so we just went up and ate in the buffet rather than wait. And sometimes when there were night tours, there was almost no one in any of the restaurants and we could eat at 6:30 without waiting.

Actually it is cause I secretly work for NCL. Don't I wish.....

Could be - the longest I have ever waited to be seated was less than 10 minutes (and I have been accused of being an NCL employee). HEYYYY wait a minute maybe that's what they do instead of paying us??? No Cheque/Check but we are always seated quickly!

Archived