Cruising RCCL with food allergy

luvtosing

Hope someone knows the answer to this one; We are about to cruise on Freedom of the Seas, RCCL, and my daughter has a milk allergy. I know I can probably order easily for her in the dining room but was wondering if anyone knows if they make special accomodations in Windjammer or Sorrento's--like, could I get her a pizza with no cheese, or some scrambled eggs with no butter/milk? Thanks!

You need to contact special services for RCI and tell them of your allergy---they usually require 30 days notice. You might have to bypass the buffet because I've not seen them able to provide special dietary needs there as everything is so mass prepared, but they can accommodate you in the main dining room for every meal. As for the pizza, you can always remove the cheese from the pizza, but I'm not sure they are able to prepare special meals in the buffet.

When you arrive on board, go to the maitre'd and inform him of your special needs. Also talk to your head waiter and explain what you're looking for.

Thanks, I did send an email to RCCL, but they have this automated system for reply so I am hoping the right people do get the information. I will definitely confirm with the maitre'd on board--thanks for the suggestion!

Hope someone knows the answer to this one; We are about to cruise on Freedom of the Seas, RCCL, and my daughter has a milk allergy. I know I can probably order easily for her in the dining room but was wondering if anyone knows if they make special accomodations in Windjammer or Sorrento's--like, could I get her a pizza with no cheese, or some scrambled eggs with no butter/milk? Thanks!

You need to contact special_needs@rccl.com and ask them what they can do to accommodate you.

I know that they will provide soy milk, but it has to be pre-arranged.

I'm pretty sure that, for on the fly ordering, you can specify what you do not want added. They will make you a pizza with no cheese (not sure about milk in the dough) and they will leave out dairy products when they are preparing your food that moment.

From my experience, they try to be as accommodating as possible.

Hi

My neighbor's son is allergic to wheat, peanuts, eggs, milk and soy. They just did a cruise on the Adventure of the Seas, and he is back in one piece :) I think they generally avoid the buffet with him because you never know if someone else has contaminated the main dish. I know in the Windjammer there is an omlet station so maybe the chef could make some eggs there for you in a clean pan.

I have issues with dairy and they were extremely accommodating about altering things for no dairy for me in the dining room BUT they did have issues finding soy milk since I did not pre-order it. Do NOT believe people on the main board who tell you soy milk is always available - this was the first time I did not preorder and I wished I had. I would not rely on being able to get stuff altered in the Windjammer as most things there are prepared in advance.

Even if you contact special needs in advance, make sure to talk to the maitre'd AND your headwaiter and waiter once you get on the ship.

Thank you so much for all the replies. WRP96: I have sent an email through the foodallergy email address at RCCl and received the automated reply back saying they have taken note of our dietary needs. In my email, I had listed all allergies and requested soy milk and soy ice cream or rice ice cream. I'm planning to follow up with a live person; hopefully that will help, as well as talk to people. when we get onboard.

did you ever eat try to eat at windjammer or at the pizza place on board? Were there places other than in the dining room where you felt safe to eat? we have navigated buffets carefully with my daughter at times at fuctions or in restaurants, but I'm trying to get a sense if windjammer and/or other places onboard, besides the dining room, will be able to help us at all.

I eat in the Windjammer occasionally, but I don't like buffets so I tend to avoid it as much as possible. I usually don't have a problem finding things I can eat in the Windjammer but mine is not a food allergy but a lactose intolerance so if I get a little dairy I am extremely uncomfortable but it is not life threatening (I also have been known to purposefully cheat a little but I do it knowing the consequences to me). You should be able to ask in the Windjammer and find out the ingredients of a certain dish.

I haven't been on a ship with Sorrento's so can't speak to that. I haven't ever had a problem eating in the Cafe Promenade, Johnny Rockets, Solarium Cafe (on ships that have it) or the Seaview Cafe (Radiance class).

Sorrento's will make you a pizza without cheese... although you might have to wait up to 30 minutes for it. As for the eggs there is a fresh made omlet area and if you ask they are usually very accomadating. I'm verrry lactose intolerant and havn't had too many problems so far. It does help to let the cruise line know ahead of time though.

• 2 weeks later...

My son is also allergic to milk. Although he can eat or drink a small amount every once in a while. I talked with and emailed (special dietary needs) RCI and they say they will be accomodating. I need to e-mail again 45 days out. I am also going to ask if they can have some "Veggie Cheese" for pizza, Quesadilla's and grilled cheese sandwiches. He 5 now and if you tell him it's got "cow milk" in it he will usually choose not to eat something, even ice cream.:)

When is your cruise? Ours is Oct/08 and if our is first, I will try and post. We do have a mini fridge and they have the non-refrigerated soy milk at Costco that I will take some just incase. ;)

My son has a dairy and soy allergy. We use rice milk. I have heard from several ppl that NCL is great about working with allergies. They have a separate area that is GFCF. Their GF products are suppose to be very tasty.

I do not have confirmation but I was told by NCL that if I email the appr person in enough time that they will stock rice milk for us! We have been on HAL and NCL but it was before we had our son.There is an interesting thread on the NCL board about celiac disease and dining. The other lines may be great about this too I am just not familar with their policies.

• 3 weeks later...

strawberrygirl:

Any chance your neighbour would be willing to e-mail me w/ their experience? I am planning a trip for the extended family and am trying to get information on personal experiences like that of your neighbours. My nephew is allergic to eggs/dairy/nuts and I am trying to do research to help my sister's comfort level. thx

Archived