Transportation from Seward to Vancouver

Bargain Cruiser

What are the best ways to get from Seward to Vancouver after a cruise on Holland America in August? Are there any trains or bus transportation available? How long does it take to get from Seward to Vancouver by land?

Thanks!

Sharon and Bruce

I think you mean Seward to Anchorage - because you probably just cruised there from Vancouver! If you have a really late flight (like 1 a.m.) - you could spend the day in Seward and take the 6 p.m. train to Anchorage, which arrives about 10:15 p.m. There will also be cruise transfers by train and/or bus. The drive from Seward to Anchorage is about 3 hours, depending on traffc and construction.

How do I get from Anchorage to Vancouver? We wanted to do an inland transportation after we got off our cruise.

Anchorage and Vancouver are ~ 1500 miles apart! You are cruising FROM Vancouver to Seward, right? It's 3 hours from Seward to Anchorage, and I mentioned your options in my post above.

**I hope you don't think you have to get back to Vancouver to fly home. You fly home from Anchorage after your cruise ends.

I checked your previous posts, and that's what you DO mean - going from Anchorage back to Vancouver by plane, train, or automobile! You book a multi-city flight from your home to Vancouver and from Anchorage back home. You could buy a one-way Anchorage to Vancouver plane ticket (I wouldn't), but that probably won't save you any money, and you could also encounter problems making your connection in Vancouver unless you allow a lot of time between flights. You could also CRUISE back to Vancouver, but there are no trains to take and you wouldn't want to drive it.

You will probably pay a lot more to get to YVR and then fly home to DSM since it's an international flight and there are some hefty taxes that don't apply to domestic US flights. The less expensive and easiest way is flying out of ANC and connecting in the US (Seattle, Chicago, etc). The itenerary is called an "open jaw" (DSM-YVR and ANC-DSM). As another post mentioned you can look up fares by selecting Multi City on airline or travel websites.

Archived