Vesuvius - How difficult, how scary?

I undertsand that you can get to a parking lot and then have to climb the remaining distance. My questions are: (1) is it a difficult climb and (2) is the path to the top along steep drop offs and cliffs?

Hi,

The walk to the top of Vesuvius is not so much of a climb as an uphill walk. The most difficult part is that the pumice you're walking on has broken down into soft, sandy grit. It slithers when you walk on it, so it's reasonably hard work. I don't like heights, so I would have noticed steep drop-offs, cliffs and scary bits, and I don't remember any.

When you start up, someone will hand you a stick to walk with. My advice is to take it. I was very glad to have it coming down. It kept me from slithering too far too fast. The person who gave it to you earlier will want a Euro when you come back - well worth it!

I would also advise that you take water, sunscreen and and a hat. There is no shade at all, and it can get really hot.

Once you get there, the view is fantastic.

Lisa

We were in Italy last September and took a tour to Vesuvius. It was nice and warm in Naples and we never gave it any thought to take along a jacket or sweat shirt. It was very cold. My husband, age 70 at the time, walked to the crater. He had no problem doing this. I stayed behind and found a snack shop with a fire in a fireplace which kept me warm.

Judee

We were in Italy last September and took a tour to Vesuvius. It was nice and warm in Naples and we never gave it any thought to take along a jacket or sweat shirt. It was very cold. My husband, age 70 at the time, walked to the crater. He had no problem doing this. I stayed behind and found a snack shop with a fire in a fireplace which kept me warm.

Judee

Good point about possibly being cold. We went in July - it makes sense that September would be much different.

I admire your husband. We were in our late 40s/early 50s when we went, and used to walking 4 or 5 miles every day. We both puffed a little bit going up, and I slithered quite a bit going down. Having done it once, I don't think I'll do it again at 70.:p

Lisa

Archived