Celebrity Century British Isles May 17 - 29

meow!

Meow,

Thanks for your very comprehensive review. We are booked on Century in Oct 09 for a W. Med cruise, currently in an OV cabin. I am debating upgrading to a Sky Suite and your review answered quite a few of my questions.

Still haven't decided yet since this is supposed to be a "bargain" European cruise and we have only one sea day, so spending extra on the cabin might not be worth it. The rates right now for a SS are less than we have paid for a standard balcony on other cruises however.

I may just have our TA keep an eye out for any sales and ask her to upgrade our reservations if something comes along.

Thanks again - your opinions and commentary were very helpful. I sit here with my faithful dog at my feet but apparently cats can be useful too!

Meow, glad you enjoyed your cruise. DH and I are the opposite as far as the dining options go. We prefer the dining room and avoid the buffet as much as possible. Of course sometimes our excursion schedule does make it neccessary to eat earlier so then we hit the waffle station or the omelet station which DH loves. I will say that the omelets made-to-order are better than those in the dining room.

For the last 3 cruises the dining room has not been open for lunch on port days, so if we are on the ship it's off to the buffet or poolside then. However, we try to book excursions that include lunch. We like to sit with other people, which is not usually the case in the buffet. Also, we can't justify forking over another $30 pp for the specialty restaurant. I know many people do, but it's not for us. I'd rather spend the money on longer excursions, souvenirs or even the slots.

We ALWAYS eat in the dining room for dinner. We would rather be served and have more selection than in other dining venues. I was surprised when you said there was no lobster, but then realized you probably weren't in the dining room on that night. There was lobster and baked Alaska as usual on the last formal night on Mercury in Jan. I don't care for either, so I ordered something else for the entree and later the ass't m'D brought me a yummy chocolate dessert. My friend and I had told her the night before that we would want chocolate instead of the baked Alaska and she brought it herself. She was the best ass't m'D we've ever had--very attentive to our tablemate who kept kosher.

We did a cruise similar to yours 2 yrs ago on Jewel of the Seas, which actually had the best food of all our cruises. It was round trip out of Harwich, Eng. Stops were LeHavre, Plymouth, Cork, Dublin, Greenock (Scotland--we did the cruiseline "Edinburgh on your own" tour).

Norway stops were Flam, Alesund and Bergen. Last stop was Amsterdam before returning to Harwich. It was my favorite cruise to date with the last one a close second--Aust/NZ.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cr/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor.Fjords + 3 nights in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

1/09 Galaxy S. Carib. 6/09 Summit Classical Mediterranean

Thanks again for your kind replies. Isn't it so nice to have this cruise critic board where we can all share our stories and information! Celebrity Century is a gentle ship, and it has enough variety and latitude to satisfy a wide range of needs and preferences. We all enjoyed our voyages and are delighted to have such opportunities.

Archived