What lens would I need for an Alaskan cruise?

Need some help!!!

What lenses should I purchase before we head off to our Alaskan cruise?? I know that I what a wide angle len and a the Filter kit that includes UV, PL and FDL lens. Do I need anything else?? I love to take pictures of the pretty Alaskan scenery and some of the ship inside and out. If I can see some wildlife would love to take them also.

Thanks for the help:D

David

Rather than listing 200-300 possible choices form all of the major manufacturers and third-party lensmakers, why don't you narrow it down by telling us what camera you have or intend to purchase??:D

Thanks,

Dave

In that case, you will have most of what you want already, since the built-in lens has a 36mm-432mm equivalent focal length range. (Great camera, by the way!)

Since the S5IS doesn't have threads on the front of the lens, you will need a Conversion lens adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-LAH-DC20-Conversion-Adapter-LH-DC40/dp/tags-on-product/B0009O6IXA

Stick with the Canon brand wide angle conversion lens. They are matched to the cameras and of good quality. (I've had disappointments with off brand optics.):

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-WC-DC58A-Converter-Digital-Camera/dp/B0009NEUOK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1212418977&sr=1-2

Don't bother with a telephoto converter. The long end of your S5IS is plenty and hand holding anything longer, even with IS, is problematic.

Filters can be any brand as long as they have a 58mm thread. Be aware that the wide-angle conversion doesn't accept filters, so you will only be able to use filters mounted to the standard lens. I would skip the kit. The UV filter is mostly for protection and with auto white-balance, the FDL fluorescent correction filter is mostly useless. (it's like the third crappy movie included in the three-pack with the two that you want.:) )

Get a good polarizer. My favorite is the Hoya Warm Circular polarizer. Really pops the green and earth tones in places like Alaska, especially when it's overcast (count on some overcast).

http://www.amazon.com/Moose-Circular-Polarizer-Glass-Filter/dp/B0000AI1HH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212419786&sr=8-1

Good luck with your new camera and have a wonderful trip!

Dave

The SanDisk Ultra II is a favorite of mine. I've used them in my Canon compact since it was new and the Minolta G500 before that. Never had a failure. They're fast, but not the fastest. This won't affect your picture taking at all and they are very reasonable (½ the price of the Extreme III usually) right now at places like Amazon and Costco.

If you plan on doing any movie clips, you may want to look at the 4GB or 8GB SDHC cards for the additional capacity. Movie clips eat small cards for breakfast.

Enjoy your new camera!

Dave

So, Is the transfer rate of the camera to the card what makes the difference? So, if your camera can not support the fast transfer rate is it worth getting? I really do not know how fast the Canon S5 is?

And yes, I like to do a little video.

Would I be able to tell the difference on a high speed from a non high speed????

Thanks for the info Dave:D

So, Is the transfer rate of the camera to the card what makes the difference? So, if your camera can not support the fast transfer rate is it worth getting? I really do not know how fast the Canon S5 is?

And yes, I like to do a little video.

Would I be able to tell the difference on a high speed from a non high speed????

Thanks for the info Dave:D

SDHC is the only format that has a standard comparative rating. A class 6 will handle anything your camera will throw at it. Ultra II and Extreme III Sandisk 4GB and 8GB cards are both Class 6. Why does one cost more, you ask? Both cards actually exceed Class 6's minimum 6MB/sec transfer rate by a large margin and the and the Extreme IIIs are about 50% faster than the Ultra IIs. SD cards (2GB and under) that are Ultra II or Extreme III are the same speed as the SDHC cards, but there is no standard "Class X" for SD. The cards should work about equally in you camera, since the controller in the camera is the bottle neck. The big difference it that the Extreme III cards are rocket-fast downloading to your computer.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Can you believe? It is going to take about 2 weeks before I get my camera!!!!!!! :mad: Darn, that is going to be a long two weeks. Well, at least I will still have time to play with the camera before we head to Alaska!!!:D

Dave,

What would you recommend on a camera bag?? I would like to have a bag that will carry a some lens too!!!

Again thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

I am taking a backpack case on my cruise. I got my camera back in August. I have taken it out in the woods a number of times and the backpack is so easy even when climbing in and out of stands.

Dave,

What would you recommend on a camera bag?? I would like to have a bag that will carry a some lens too!!!

Again thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

A back pack is a good choice for carrying photo gear for any distance. However, getting your camera out of it is a dance-and-a-half!

I bought a LowePro SlingShot 200 AW for shore excursions and it was a revelation in convenience. It is a one-strap sling bag that rides you back like a backpack while carrying and slides around to the front without taking it odd to get at your stuff. While in front, it doubles as a platform to set your camera on (with neck strap, of course) to work with lenses and such. Super comfortable too!

They make a smaller Slingshot 100 AW which, while too small for a DSLR kit, might be just about right for the S5 and accessories. It even has a "general stuff" compartment that will hold a rain poncho or a windbreaker.

Look here: http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-100-AW,2034,4.htm

Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BAX50G/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

FYI, I carry my camera and lenses in a Tamrac Adventure 7 and the chargers and stuff in the Singshot while travelling (With the DSLR, I carry a lot more equipment than you will...which makes me stop and think, on occasion:confused:). When settled in, I load up the slingshot for excursions, etc..

Dave

Archived