Taking photos on board

Yes, I'm a terrible photographer (it's good I'm a great scrapbooker) but can anyone tell me why all the pictures I take indoors on the ship turn out orange? I've looked at some other folks photos and most of you don't have that problem (could it be that you know what you're doing????) In any case can anybody tell me how/why this happens and how to avoid it? We leave on the Pride in 6 days and I would love to take some GOOD pictures this year!!! Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the white balance of the camera might be off.

How are the outside photos?

Is the result the same with and without the flash?

Are all your camera settings set a full auto/default?

Does it happen indoors anywhere or just on the ship?

Yes, I'm a terrible photographer (it's good I'm a great scrapbooker) but can anyone tell me why all the pictures I take indoors on the ship turn out orange? I've looked at some other folks photos and most of you don't have that problem (could it be that you know what you're doing????) In any case can anybody tell me how/why this happens and how to avoid it? We leave on the Pride in 6 days and I would love to take some GOOD pictures this year!!! Thanks in advance!

Your light setting is off. Set all your settings to auto. Your camera is usually smarter than we are about light settings and all the other settings. Good luck.

Don, thanks so much for the reply. In answer to your questions, my outside pics are great, it just happens inside on the ship - not inside anywhere else. And onboard the result is the same with or without the flash. And I always have everything set to "auto" since I'm so lame when it comes to photography.:eek:

Don, thanks so much for the reply. In answer to your questions, my outside pics are great, it just happens inside on the ship - not inside anywhere else. And onboard the result is the same with or without the flash. And I always have everything set to "auto" since I'm so lame when it comes to photography.:eek:

In that case, it sounds like your flash isn't powerful enough to overpower the Farcus decor.

there is nothing wrong with your camera or you. what is going on is the color imbalance caused by the floresent lighting of the inside of the ship. the floresent lights put off a yellow light instead of a white light that the sun gives off. our eyes and brain can fix it naturally but cameras can't. to fix it simply, set your camera to flash indoors all the time and be within the flash paramiters of your camera ie: distance to subject.

I hope this helps

Yes sometimes the auto white balance does not work properly because of the jumble of colors. It trys to make one of them white, and the rest adjust accordingly. The best think is to set auto, auto. But when you use the flash, it wants to reset itself to Flash WB and unless your camera has a huge flash it gets washed out, and the colors are still bad. Take a look at my Photos at the bottom links in my sig. You can pm me if you want and I will be happy to help.

RUF

Yes sometimes the auto white balance does not work properly because of the jumble of colors. It trys to make one of them white, and the rest adjust accordingly. The best think is to set auto, auto. But when you use the flash, it wants to reset itself to Flash WB and unless your camera has a huge flash it gets washed out, and the colors are still bad. Take a look at my Photos at the bottom links in my sig. You can pm me if you want and I will be happy to help.

RUF

Your photos are terrific.

I also have "orangish" photos of the public areas and had to delete almost all of them.

Your photos are terrific.

I also have "orangish" photos of the public areas and had to delete almost all of them.

I would never delete a photo with a color problem. More often then not with a little bit of post processing time the color can be adjusted.

Orginal

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5733&g2_serialNumber=2

Adjusted

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5729&g2_serialNumber=2

It also could be the type of lighting if you are not using a flash.

I would never delete a photo with a color problem. More often then not with a little bit of post processing time the color can be adjusted.

Orginal

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5733&g2_serialNumber=2

Adjusted

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5729&g2_serialNumber=2

NICE!!!! A lot of my interior pics also have a weird coloring, but I just realized they do... It really didn't stand out as weird to me until I saw that picture! I didn't realize they could be cleaned up like that!

I am not good with computers or photography. Lucky for me, DH is good with both. He always takes LOTS of sunset pics on our vacations because he can work with the best ones and make them even better (i.e. take out the sunspots.) That said I do take a good chunk of the pics. Together, this year we took 1055 pics overall! 420 of them are linked in my signature, but none of these have been modified.

P.S. as far as I know, our cameras are always on auto.

Unlike film cameras, you sometimes have to fool with white balance on digitals.

On the other hand, digital pictures cost nothing, so try taking a picture from the same location with each white setting that your camera allows.

Note - on some cameras, if you leave the settings on full auto everything, you might not be able to adjust the white balance.

Tungsten lighting can result in orange coloring.

When everything else fails, Photoshop happens.

Some good photo editing would clear up your problem. I use Picasa2, which is simple enough for an amateur like me. Can adjust color, contrast, sharpen the photo, add light, shadow...lots of goodies.

It's FREE and is a Google product.

Believe me, I am a techno-idiot...but with Picasa2, even my pictures can look good!!!!:)

....digital pictures cost nothing.....

....When everything else fails, Photoshop happens.

Exactly why DH takes so many sunset pics every year.... and he now has Photoshop Pro on his computer! :D

Some good photo editing would clear up your problem. I use Picasa2' date=' which is simple enough for an amateur like me. Can adjust color, contrast, sharpen the photo, add light, shadow...lots of goodies.

It's FREE and is a Google product.

Believe me, I am a techno-idiot...but with Picasa2, even my pictures can look good!!!!:)[/quote']

Hmmm.... I'm a computer dummy, too! Maybe I'll look into this. I have a LOT of vacation pics from the last few years! Thank you!

Archived