Another Alcohol Question

On my last RC cruise (5 years ago) the gift shop had a first night special sale on alcohol. Besides selling duty-free alcohol to bring home, they also offered bottles of liquor that could be kept in our staterooms and consumed on board. The prices weren't as low as the duty-free, but nonetheless were far less expensive than what it would cost to buy drinks in the bar.

Has anyone been on a recent 7 day cruise to Mexico and found this to still be true. Or not true?

Thanks...

On my last RC cruise (5 years ago) the gift shop had a first night special sale on alcohol. Besides selling duty-free alcohol to bring home, they also offered bottles of liquor that could be kept in our staterooms and consumed on board. The prices weren't as low as the duty-free, but nonetheless were far less expensive than what it would cost to buy drinks in the bar.

Has anyone been on a recent 7 day cruise to Mexico and found this to still be true. Or not true?

Thanks...

That is no longer offered on RCCL as of several years ago. Any liquor bought in their shops is held until the last night of your cruise and then delivered to your cabin.

Ok, 6 responses, question answered. Will this thread continue, or will it be closed?

Or, will I be flamed for being insensitive?

BTW, Rumrunner flasks is not a solution to buying liquor on-board.

Ok, 6 responses, question answered. Will this thread continue, or will it be closed?

Or, will I be flamed for being insensitive?

BTW, Rumrunner flasks is not a solution to buying liquor on-board.

Why did you even respond?

Agree that Rumrunner flasks may be your answer. We don't worry about it anymore since we have access to the Concierge lounge but we used to enjoy a drink on our balcony when we could purchase a bottle to take back to our cabin.

Why did you even respond?

Primarily to point out how threads get totally out of control. The question is answered, and then hordes feel the need to respond with no new information, just the same comments.

And why did you respond to my post? At least mine had a point.

Primarily to point out how threads get totally out of control. The question is answered, and then hordes feel the need to respond with no new information, just the same comments.

The point of your post was that you wanted other people to stop posting? What kind of bizarre logic is that? Besides, it's not up to you or me or any member to decide how many responses are acceptable. It's up to the mods. If you truly believe that there are just too many responses, you can ask the mods to lock the thread. OTOH, they usually do that only when asked by the OP, when the thread has gotten so out of hand that personal insults are being hurled, or when it's 25 pages long.

As others have mentioned: If it bothers you, don't read the dang thread!

Back on topic:

StarSong: As you now know, RCI stopped allowing that a few year back. A bummer IMO. We enjoyed getting a bottle to have in the cabin for pre-dinner cocktails or late night treats. Plus, my sister (the artist) is very creative with making up new cocktails out of what's at hand in the two cabins. DH and I might have a bit of OJ and club soda, she and her DH might have some lemonade and orange rum--Next thing we know, new cocktail.

If you want to have liquor in your cabin, you're going to have to try to sneak it onboard. I'm not going to get into the "ethical" issue of it because, to be honest, it doesn't bother me one way or the other. One thing that does bother me is that people often put full bottles (and even sodas) in their checked bags. Now, most of the time they come through without damage. Unfortunately, from time to time, a bottle will get broken (good night--you've seen them throw the bags around) and leak into the suitcase it's packed in and onto the pieces of luggage nearby. Risking damage to their own stuff is one thing, but risking damaging things that belong to others is, again IMO, selfish. I don't care how many people have done it with no problem. It only takes one big bottle breaking to ruin personal items.

BTW, you didn't ask, but in case you want to know, RCI also no longer allows pax to bring wine/bubbly onboard and pay a corkage fee to bring it to the dining room.

beachchick

Whatever you say.:rolleyes:

Of course as people have said no more bottle service. However, there are great ways to transport your own on board. See the pics below. For the guys "the Beer Belly". For the gals "wine rack bra".:D Check drinkingstuff dot com.

667646800_beerbelly.jpg.1d286b14878df9c9e28ea7242fb6ffed.jpg

7986972_winerack.jpg.82b45f285ba90ad35f3dd45441f50f8c.jpg

Thanks Everyone,

I have to laugh when I see threads take on a life of their own. Crosboro, your whine is what pulled this puppy w-a-a-y off topic.

Speaking of wines and items of alcoholic nature (howdja like that smooth segue?), it's interesting that RCI has decided to cut its nose to spite its face. Instead of pax purchasing bottles of liquor on board at somewhat inflated (but not outrageous) prices, they'll cut themselves out of much of the booze buying loop.

I don't see to-rumrunner-flask or not-to-rumrunner-flask as big deal either way. Before some of you get your knickers in a twist to the point that your wings start to shed some feathers, I already know that this moral relativism goes against your grain. :rolleyes: It just doesn't happen to go against mine.

Of course as people have said no more bottle service. However, there are great ways to transport your own on board. See the pics below. For the guys "the Beer Belly". For the gals "wine rack bra".:D Check drinkingstuff dot com.

I think I will stick with using mini (50ml) bottles for the occasional drink in our cabin. They are original liquor bottles, so no refilling into another container and can be easily brought onboard in a travel bag or even in carry on bags or in a pocket. On our last cruise rum and volka minis (what we drink) were available for $1 each in port.

How else will they get their post count higher?

LOL, yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at.

For others that replied, I don't really think it was a "whine"--just an observation. And I would not ask for a thread to be locked, as I wouldn't want to spoil a good time for all. :rolleyes:

Did anybody besides me catch that?!! OMG! This device is better than a rumrunner flask! Check out the website. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it before on these boards (that I have seen)...and I have read just about every thread on smuggling that there is. What a cool idea!:cool: :D Don't think I will be using it at PTA meetings like they suggest though :rolleyes: .

Thanks CaribeDiver. You just saved me at least $250.00 per cruise.

I saw on the RCI website that you can preorder wine and have it delivered to your stateroom or the dining room.

Does RCI also offer this for liquor? (I know that Carnival does this, but doesn't advertise it - if you call them, they will tell you what brands/liquors you can preorder for your stateroom).

Thanks in advance!

No - RCCL does not.

I saw on the RCI website that you can preorder wine and have it delivered to your stateroom or the dining room.

Does RCI also offer this for liquor? (I know that Carnival does this, but doesn't advertise it - if you call them, they will tell you what brands/liquors you can preorder for your stateroom).

Thanks in advance!

Archived