back from alaska may-19 to may-31

prcua

Sailed on the sapphire after 5 days on land. Our first cruise. I have never had a more wonderful vacation in my life. Princess cruise lines was the most accomidating group i have ever seen. I highly recomend them to anyone wanting to visit alaska. Top notch in every way.

Where did you go on land? We are taking the Sapphire in July and then going on a Princess cruisetour for 6 days. Any things you can tell us about may be very helpful. It will also help keep my hunger for the cruise fed until I get to take it myself. Thanks

Started in fairbanks for 2 nights. We did the riverboat cruis and the gold mine tour. Both were fun. They were part of our package. Then the train to denali for one night. did the natural history tour. Ok, but not enough. It didn,t gp to far into the park. If you have the time, i suggest taking th tundra wilderness tour. About 8 hours long, but you will get to see more wilderness and wildlife. next was Mt. Mckinley for one night. Just stayed at the lodge and didn,t do anything. We were one of the 20% to see the mountain in full, no clouds. It was a great sight. On to anchorage for a quick over night, then on to the ship. I think it is better to save your money for shor excursions. more things to do. we went on a 15 mile bike tour in skagway,wow what great scenery and the speed going down the mountain. Don,t try rhis unless you are in atleast some kind of shape. You ahve to do a little climbing,and 4 for 5 miles of flat road. Not real bad, because i even made it. Mendenhall glacier in juneau was beautiful.we went to a rainforest as well, but didn,t care for that. So raed the books they gave you, ask questions on this site, and you will make a vacation of your dreams come true.We stayed in caribe c-708. Balcony more to the aft of the ship. Sapphire is a beautiful ship. I would also reccomend the traditional seating for dinner. You have the same waiters, and they were fantastic. Have fun and enjoy

Where did you stay in Fairbanks? We just found out we are staying and it is not in the Fairbanks Princess. Just wondering if we are missing out and being downgraded.

Thanks,

We stayed at the fairbanks princess. It was nice,the cheena river was behind the place.Princess uses a few different places, i dought they will be bad. We decided to take a shuttle downtown on our second night. Cost $5 round trip. Don,t waste your time. it was not a good experience. There wasn,t anyone walking around except locals. It was kinda scary to us. We went to a restaurant called papa bella,s. It was awful. Bad service and not to good for food. Stay at your hotel, and have fun in denali

We purchased the combination mendenhall glacier, rainfirest tour. It was about a 15 minute bus ride from the pier. Close to the airport. It wasn,t bad, just a ride on golf carts thru a forest.It was informative, just not what i expected.

Any tips/hint/more info for the 3 lodges and the Mendenhall Glacier? My parents will be doing your exact trip (on the Island) in less than 3 weeks, and I'm trying to get them as much info as possible--they've never cruised before!

:) Thanks!

The princess lodges at denali and mt. McKinley are rustic style. The main lodge contains a viewing area and shopping. All the rooms are in seperate buildings. Walking from your room to the lodge or surrounding restaurants if very short. Most rooms are on ground level. There are a few that have a second story. I am sure you could requst ground level at each place. The lodge in fairbaks where we stayed had a few floors, and everything is in one building.Restaurants etc. in denali and mt. McKinley they have a shuttle to take you to your building from the lodge if it is raining or you don,t want to walk. Hope that helps. I would recomend finding a mendenhall trip after you disembark the ship. There are shuttle trips that are cheaper, if that is the onle place you want to go.

Archived