Please help me choose which cruise.

I will be travelling in October or November this year, I am looking at two different itineraries, these are-

Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas,

13 night Italy and Croatia, port of call-

1 Rome(Civitavecchia), Italy,

2 Portofino, Italy,

3 Overnight Livorno, Italy.

4 Day at Sea

5 Sicily (Messina), Itlay,

6 Split, Croatia

7 Dubrovnik, Croatia

8 Overnight Venice, Italy

9 Dubrovnik, Croatia

10 Day at Sea

11 Naples, Italy

12 Rome (Civitavechhia), Italy

The other cruise I'm looking at is the Celebrity Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Galaxy. Port of call-

1 Rome (Civitavechhia), Italy2 Day at sea

3 Mykonos, Greece

4 Rhodes, Greece

5 Santorini, Greece

6 Overnight Istanbul, Turkey

7 Kusadasi, Turkey

8 Athens (Piraeus), Greece

9 Day at sea

10 Naples, Italy

11 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy.

This is my first cruise, but I have travelled extensively and I've been to more than 50 countries. I will be travelling solo.

I am not too interested in the cruise ships I am more interested in the itineraries/port of call.

Of the places listed above I have been to Rome, Venice, Florence (Livorno) and Pisa (Livorno).

I am undeceided which cruise to take, which one would you pick and why?

There is only $100 price difference between the two.

I am in my 30s and I am fit, long walks and long days are no problem

for me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I will be travelling in October or November this year, I am looking at two different itineraries, these are-

2 Portofino, Italy,

4 Day at Sea

6 Split, Croatia

7 Dubrovnik, Croatia

9 Dubrovnik, Croatia

10 Day at Sea

11 Naples, Italy

The other cruise I'm looking at is the Celebrity Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Galaxy. Port of call-

3 Mykonos, Greece

4 Rhodes, Greece

5 Santorini, Greece

7 Kusadasi, Turkey

9 Day at sea

10 Naples, Italy

This is my first cruise, but I have travelled extensively and I've been to more than 50 countries. I will be travelling solo.

I am not too interested in the cruise ships I am more interested in the itineraries/port of call.

Of the places listed above I have been to Rome, Venice, Florence (Livorno) and Pisa (Livorno).

for me.

Personally I would do them both but if I was forced to choose one it would be the Legend of the Seas.

2 Portofino, Italy,

4 Day at Sea

6 Split, Croatia

7 Dubrovnik, Croatia

9 Dubrovnik, Croatia

10 Day at Sea

11 Naples, Italy

3 Mykonos, Greece

4 Rhodes, Greece

5 Santorini, Greece

7 Kusadasi, Turkey

9 Day at sea

10 Naples, Italy

for me.

One thing to look at are the times you are in port. I read the review of a cruise equal to those you are looking at and the poster pointed out the amount of time in port was not as much as he may have wanted. Another thing is check if the ship is at dock or if tenders are needed. If you need tendering at a specific port it would be wise to take a ship excursion rather than on your own or private tour. The poster pointed out when tendered (which makes sense) the lines to get off the ship are long and ship excursion people get off first or in a timely manner to get the most out of the port time.

Legend has to many days in Italy, I'd prefer the celebrity itinery, more variety and celebrity is a bit more upscale.

Too many days in Italy? Each city in Italy has it's own distinct personality. I could never spend enough time in Italy. Personally, I could spend a week just in Venice. Croatia is a very beautiful country also.

Too many days in Italy? Each city in Italy has it's own distinct personality. I could never spend enough time in Italy. Personally, I could spend a week just in Venice. Croatia is a very beautiful country also.

Never ceases to amaze me how an opinion can be wrong. It's my opinion to want to take the celebrity itinery over too many days in Italy. that's my opinion and i'm sticking with it :p

My thoughts exactly!

I'd pick the first itinerary because well....I'm obsessed with Venice and loved staying overnight there, getting lost in the maze of alleys and bridges until 3am. But that's just me. I'd totally give the Galaxy and itinerary a try too but I do love italy and you can't beat having TWO overnights on the Legend. It seems like you can't go wrong either way!

Laura

Never ceases to amaze me how an opinion can be wrong. It's my opinion to want to take the celebrity itinery over too many days in Italy. that's my opinion and i'm sticking with it :p

I never said your opinion was wrong. Just that I, personally didn't agree with it. ;)

The question is which countries are you more interested in seeing - the heavy Italy and Croatia or Greece? It is simply a personal preference that we really can't answer without knowing more of what you are interested in.

On the first cruise, though you are in Dubrovnik twice - would you be bored in the same port twice?

It depends on how much you like Italy, since you have much more time in Italy on RCCL than on Celebrity - Celebrity is more of a Greek Isle cruise with a little Italy thrown in. The other is a lot of Italy with a little Croatia thrown in.

If you don't care about the ships or the difference in the cruise lines, you really ultimately have to answer the question yourself, since we don't know your likes/dislikes or what you anticipate seeing on the cruises. Otherwise, this is what you will get :

I never said your opinion was wrong. Just that I, personally didn't agree with it.

2 Portofino, Italy,

4 Day at Sea

6 Split, Croatia

7 Dubrovnik, Croatia

9 Dubrovnik, Croatia

10 Day at Sea

11 Naples, Italy

3 Mykonos, Greece

4 Rhodes, Greece

5 Santorini, Greece

7 Kusadasi, Turkey

9 Day at sea

10 Naples, Italy

for me.

If you have seen Rome, Venice and Livorno, why not try the cruise the Celebrity to see the Greek isles and Istanbul? It's a beautiful history rich city and the ship is staying in Istanbul overnight. I've been to Istanbul and Athens 3 times and I still can find new things to see every time I go.

Thanks for the feedback, today is the first day I've used these forums, I posted this under solo cruisers, general questions, celebrity and royal caribbean forums. I am sorry if this is a bit overwhelming, I am still learning the do's and don't's of this forum.

Thanks for helping, I will make my decision over the next few days.

Once I have my sailing dates set, I'll be back and I hope to communitcate with people on the same cruise I am on.

The question is which countries are you more interested in seeing - the heavy Italy and Croatia or Greece? It is simply a personal preference that we really can't answer without knowing more of what you are interested in.

On the first cruise, though you are in Dubrovnik twice - would you be bored in the same port twice?

It depends on how much you like Italy, since you have much more time in Italy on RCCL than on Celebrity - Celebrity is more of a Greek Isle cruise with a little Italy thrown in. The other is a lot of Italy with a little Croatia thrown in.

If you don't care about the ships or the difference in the cruise lines, you really ultimately have to answer the question yourself, since we don't know your likes/dislikes or what you anticipate seeing on the cruises. Otherwise, this is what you will get :

She made an error. They only visit Dubrovnik once.

Yes, I made a mistake, Dubrovnik is only visited once.

Sorry, I'm new to this (internet forums).

My mistake.

We were all newbies at one point in time. Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

You need to go back and read that post again. He was not mocking you just "stating HIS opinion". I think you took it wrong IMO.

Yes, I made a mistake, Dubrovnik is only visited once.

Sorry, I'm new to this (internet forums).

My mistake.

No need to apologize. I probably should have looked on the website, as I thought it looked a little strange myself.

Both are great itineraries and I think you would be happy with either of them but as I said, it is totally dependent on what you are more interested in seeing.

Thanks for the feedback, today is the first day I've used these forums, I posted this under solo cruisers, general questions, celebrity and royal caribbean forums. I am sorry if this is a bit overwhelming, I am still learning the do's and don't's of this forum.

Thanks for helping, I will make my decision over the next few days.

Once I have my sailing dates set, I'll be back and I hope to communitcate with people on the same cruise I am on.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! This place has a slew of information and opinions. Most of them are helpful.:p Definitely check over on the Roll Calls once you decide so that you can chat w/other people that are going w/you. It helps to see familiar faces once onboard, especially on a longer cruise. Good luck w/your decision!

Laura

I never said your opinion was wrong. Just that I, personally didn't agree with it. ;)

yes you did. When i stated it was too many days in Italy , you didn't give your opinion that you prefer the extra days you wrote a reply that there was no such thing -rendering my opinion as wrong. :eek:

yes you did. When i stated it was too many days in Italy , you didn't give your opinion that you prefer the extra days you wrote a reply that there was no such thing as to many days in italy by your punctuation. That was essentially stating your opinion was superior. :eek:

I interpreted it as him giving his opinion; if anything you are mocking him! He has been a very active poster on these boards and has been extremely helpful to many, many people.

I interpreted it as him giving his opinion; if anything you are mocking him! He has been a very active poster on these boards and has been extremely helpful to many, many people.

you are entitled to your opinion :p

Thank you for the compliment. :D

2 Portofino, Italy,

4 Day at Sea

6 Split, Croatia

7 Dubrovnik, Croatia

9 Dubrovnik, Croatia

10 Day at Sea

11 Naples, Italy

3 Mykonos, Greece

4 Rhodes, Greece

5 Santorini, Greece

7 Kusadasi, Turkey

9 Day at sea

10 Naples, Italy

for me.

I made friends with an Italian, who lives in the port town of Bari and owns a rental business for travellers (bikes, cars, boat). We've been writing for about 3 years. I told her that my husband and I would like to eventually take a Mediterranean cruise, so she kindly sent me a list of RC ships with itineraries....which I saved (2007). She said that 5 of the 7 listed were what she'd recommended.

I saved the list but didn't ask her reasons and why two of the itineraries were not her first picks but the 12 night Legend trip that you asked about was one of those two. In her note, that trip was listed as 12 night, Italia/Croazia.

She did have a recommended itinerary that was similar to the Celebrity trip that you listed...not exact, though...but the Greek one that I have on her list, is on Legend of the Seas for 12 nights...It's listed as "Greek Isle, Turkey, Egypt" and The ports are: Rome, Mikonos, Efeso? (Ephesus...is this Ephesus?), Rhodi (Rhodes, Greece); Limassol?; Allesandria d' Egitto (Egypt); Athens, Naples, Italy; Rome. Sorry that I couldn't translate all of the ports from Italian.

For longer cruises in that 12/13 night range, the only other one that she listed as a favorite was the Italy/Croatia trip that stopped in: Rome, Portofina, Livorno (Florence), Naples, Split, Venice, Dubrovnik (Croatia), Messina (Sicily); Rome.

I loved her opinion because of where she lives (near the boot of Italy). It's sort of like us, knowing that most cruisers would greatly prefer a stop in St. Thomas over a stop in the Dominican Republic....I've asked that question enough about favorite ports to be able to say that; so no offence to anyone who prefers DR. :)

Archived