Italy tour to Viareggio

Has any one been to the town/beach of Viareggio outside of Florence? I'm just wondering if we should spend our day here or at Cinque Terre. We have cruised to the Med the last two summers and gone into Florence both times. We are looking for something different and can't decide between Cinque Terre and beach day at Viareggio. We are on the Emerald Princess and will do ship's tour either way. Thanks for your comments!

Unless you are separate for a beach day, I'd skip Viareggio. Rather than be on a bus for so long, I'd choose spending the day in Lucca or the lovely hill country to the north of Lucca.

If the choice were Viareggio or bussing it to the five villages, I'd suffer through the bus ride.

Paul

Has any one been to the town/beach of Viareggio outside of Florence? I'm just wondering if we should spend our day here or at Cinque Terre. We have cruised to the Med the last two summers and gone into Florence both times. We are looking for something different and can't decide between Cinque Terre and beach day at Viareggio. We are on the Emerald Princess and will do ship's tour either way. Thanks for your comments!

We are on Brilliance of the Seas late June and are also considering doing the ship's tour with short stop in Pisa, then to the beach in Viareggio. But, weather.com shows average temp for that time is only 80. Wondering if that is too chilly to enjoy a beach day.

I have stayed in Viareggio, but only because it had a nice and inexpensive hotel while driving from Rome to Genoa. It does have a nice stretch of beach; however, personally, if you have not been to Cinque Terre or Lucca, I cannot imagine choosing Viareggio over those.

thank you so much for your thoughts on Viareggio. I had just read an areticle on Viareggio in the March 2008 Conde Nast Traveler, which made the town sound so appealing. But I do think we're taking your advice and going to Cinque Terre on our day in Livorno!!

Archived