Best Place To Snorkel?

pharmerjenn

We are going to Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman. Can only afford to snorkel once and one other shore excursion. Trying to plan ahead. Any suggestions on best place to snorkel and another choice of something to do appreciated. We are 2 adult females leaving husbands and children at home for a once in a life time chance at a true vacation! Please help, we are going mid November. Thanks a bunch!

You do know that you are not required to buy any of the ship's excursions, that you can do almost all of the same trips for less if you make your own arrangements.

If you stay in the port facilities of Costa Maya, the cruiseline built port, you can snorkel there from the shore for free if you have your own gear. You will also want some booties/aqua sox for walking over the rocks to get in the water.

03costamayabeach.jpg - 04ships.jpg - 05pool.jpg

Also, if you just stay at the port facilities, you will miss the part of that stop, the town of Mahahual (in my opinion). A taxi there and back is about $5 a person. The long beach is nice and sandy, and it was clean when we were there in March so I would expect it to be still fairly clean. Plenty of restaurants have set out chair and tables along the beach and they are free for customers to use. The day we spent there was probably my families favorite of the cruise.

26mahahualbeach.jpg - 27mahahual4.jpg

We have spent alot of time on Cozumel-I would go to Palancar Reef on a snorkel trip-$27 for a 3 hr.You can find it on COZUMEL.com The island is GREAT to explore and there are many places that you can snorkel right offshore in CZ if you rent a car (VW $20 or scooter)or there's even a dive shop down from the pier towards San Miguiel. The snorkel at Stingray City in Grand Caymen is about $30 with any of the independants that will be at the dock when you arrive-but I think Majahual would be a nice beach day in town and $pend $ome locally.

SORRY-I was incorrect Cozumel.com has 3 hr. snorkel trips for $50-and Cozumel.net has 2 hr.trips for $30 just look thru thru sites and you'll find lots of other stuff to do too.I have rented a car just off the pier for $15, and we are going to San Francisco Beach to check it out ,then to our favorite beach/beer spot on "the other side"We are doing the same ports + Belize at the end of Nov.I have found a $25 Stingray City snorkel with drop-off at 7 mile beach in Grand Caymen-hope this helps..HAVE FUN

Archived