Heat advice pls : Emerald Princess 4 August 2008

Jon UK

Is it too much for two five year olds to be in the Eastern Med in August? Really want to do the Greek Islands and Turkey, Rome andVenice but want to make sure there's enough for small children at the resorts. Are the beaches too hot to play on/in?

Would welcome members' thoughts - am restricted by school vacations which is why we are looking at this ship in August!

All posts welcomed!

I may have missed it but I didn't see many beaches in the eastern Med when we were there last November. It was more ruins and churches and museums. Perhaps that is because of the excursions I chose. Have you looked at the excursions for the ports you will be visiting?

Is it too much for two five year olds to be in the Eastern Med in August? Really want to do the Greek Islands and Turkey, Rome andVenice but want to make sure there's enough for small children at the resorts. Are the beaches too hot to play on/in?

Would welcome members' thoughts - am restricted by school vacations which is why we are looking at this ship in August!

All posts welcomed!

Do a bit of surfing on the net. As a Brit though, I know from many land holidays you are likely to find it very, very hot in August. But common sense re clothes, hats, water, shade, sun block should do the job. We found that the kids got very irritable in extreme heat, bit of a pain occasionally. We found if you held them under the water long enough, they behaved.

JOKE!!!!

Nothing you can't overcome, but maybe about 5 - 7 on the 0 - 10 pain in the ass scale.

We want to do east med on our next cruise. No kids (and no wife!!) now I'm older......

We were on a Med cruise in August 2003. Athens was 106 degrees F with no breeze whatsoever. It was very hot in Venice and Santorini as well, but cooled off mid-cruise to the 90s so we could really enjoy vigorous activity in Italy, France and Spain.

Whatever you do, be sure to bring water with you. When it is hot like that, water sells out very quickly at the attraction concessions.

I may have missed it but I didn't see many beaches in the eastern Med when we were there last November. It was more ruins and churches and museums. Perhaps that is because of the excursions I chose. Have you looked at the excursions for the ports you will be visiting?
Ditto. Saw lots of ruins/churches/museums (fascinating and great) but no beaches. I don't think I'd consider bringing 5YOs if you're expecting to find the nearest beach when in port; that's a lot of money to pay for few beaches and more adult type of cruising.

Archived