Ocho Rios with a 3 year old?

baxterbean

sorry, that was kinda short - stay on the ship because I personally think Jamaica is a scary place. Maybe Margaritaville cause they have a nice pool with freshwater and the little shopping village they have is locked to the natives, but otherwise, I'd stay on the ship

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lisa,

I've seen your posts on the 12/11 NOS Meet & Mingle board. We'll be on the same cruise with our 4 year old son.

I've been dilemma-ing about the Ocho Rios excursion too. I want to do the Dunns River and River Tubing, but am not sure if my son will be okay with staying in the kids program (he's rather inflexible with adapting to new environments) so I haven't booked anything yet.

Is your son(?) going to the kids program? I figure we'll have Jarrett with us in Labadee and Cozumel, and possibly Grand Cayman on the stingray tour. But Jamaica is the one port that I didn't want to bring him with us.

We should talk more about our kiddos and their activities.

Shirley

My son and his cousins were older than that when we were in Jamaica, but I would say there's not much you can do with a 3-year-old in OR, except, as another poster suggested, hanging out at Margaritaville/Island Village. Both the Falls and River Tubing would be next to impossible, I would think. My nieces and nephews were about 7 years old and they got tired at the falls and were handed over to us on the boardwalk next to the falls. For the tubing [at least the one we went on] any child younger than about ten would not be able to go in the tube, unless he/she could sit on your lap, which I'm not sure they'd allow.

M'ville/IV, on the other hand, has a beach, a warm, shallow pool, a water slide, etc, and is, or can be, very relaxing.

We just got back from the Carib this weekend. In Jamaica we hired Ionie Mc Beam to drive us around. We were travelling with our four year old. Ionie was wonderful. She took us to the Fern Gulley, then to a beach area that was breath taking and very safe. There are no pushy sales people at the beach, just the bar and grill staff and some people that do the massages. It was so beautiful and uncrowded. After about 1 1/2 hours there (you tell her how long you want to stay) Ionie picked us up and took us all around Ocho. She talked extensively about Jamaican history and was so friendly and informitive. If I ever go back to Jamaica I will definitely hire Ionie again. Her website is http://www.ocho-rios.com . She will custom plan a tour to suit your needs. She has a very good reputation on this board and now I know why!! Have fun.

Archived