White Pass Scenic Railway

NW Pacific

I would say, if you are afraid of heights, this probably isnt the best excursion for you. There are some spots along the trip that if you look straight out/down your window you're basically looking at the bottom of the mountain, a huge dropoff down. Scenery was incredible but I had a hard time looking out the windows at some points...

We took the bike down and would encourage people to do this if you're able. You'll be more in tune with the mountain rather than taking the train back down or bussing it.

I am really confused about this tour/excursion.

I am looking at the HAL site for the excursion and it states an 8 hou trip at a cost of $184/pp. However, the white pass railroad site states $229 with motorcoach? I don't really understand the options here. There is also something with the charter company I see noted above?

Basically, I just want to take a tour on the train if possible that involves being able to go visit the Yukon and return before the ship leaves the port. What would my best option be? Some trips appear to be one way vs. round trip. I don't want to book something that doesn't get me back! :eek:

Some trips appear to be one way vs. round trip. I don't want to book something that doesn't get me back! :eek:

I think it's that "round trip" means the train both up and down and one-way means train up/bus down or bus up/train down.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for the White Pass also...

the round-trip just goes to the summit...and comes back down...i think it's about 3 hrs? no one gets off the train, just pulls over to the side rails, wait for the other trains to pass and then then flip the seats over (instead of turning the train around) . going up you hear the history of the area, have sights pointed out to you...on the way down, very little is said, but a good time to check up on photos. BUT...i wouldn't do it again, rather do the longer tours and see more.

the longer trips could be a bus and whole way (up and down) or a train one way. you go much further into the area and get to see much, much more.

check out: http://www.chilkootcharters.com/

if you haven't, already. go down the side to train/bus combo...they have the best break-down of the trips. also: http://www.wpyr.com/

it's still a round-trip excusions, just not round-trip on the train:D

I am taking my father on the train and he is in a wheelchair. Good to know there are restrooms in each car, but are the cars handicapped accessible? Thanks.

We were in the handicapped car on the trip. Half the car has seats and the rest is open space. The bathroom is large enough for a wheel chair. Don't miss this one.

I am wondering what is the difference between all of the White Pass Railway excursions. One is listed as "The Steam Train Adventure" with "a touch of class". Another one calls it a "narrow-gauge train excursion" and then others just call it a "train". Are there different types of trains you can go on? Is one better than the other?

I am wondering what is the difference between all of the White Pass Railway excursions. One is listed as "The Steam Train Adventure" with "a touch of class". Another one calls it a "narrow-gauge train excursion" and then others just call it a "train". Are there different types of trains you can go on? Is one better than the other?

98% or so of the trips use diesel locomotives, and the steam-locomotive excursions (which are designed for real train nuts like me - http://www.railsnorth.com/steamex.html ) use the same passenger cars as the diesel trips. The big difference is the destination - you can take trips that go to the Summit (Mile 20). to Fraser (Mile 27), to Bennett (Mile 41) or to Carcross (Mile 67).

Thank you. This makes a lot of sense to me now. I'm looking at an excursion that thakes the train to Fraser, then you get off to go to the Klondike summit to pick up a bicycle and then cycle down. This sounds like the best of both worlds to me, only worried about doing it in Sept. when it could be cold and rainy, BUT WE'RE HOPING FOR NICE WEATHER!

Another advantage to booking with Chilkoot Charters: Our group had our own rail car while those who booked with the ship were packed in the other railcars. Also, each person in our group last September were able to have their own seat on the left side facing fthe engines on the way up. I also agree with the person who suggested going out on the platform to view the scenery or to take photos. The other advantage to booking with Chilkoot Charters was our independent group continued on in a small mini bus with lots of opportunities to stop for photo ops. We booked the 7 hour tour with them last year that went as far as Emerald Lake and back to Skagway. We enjoyed the lunch, the wildlife museum, the Husky puppies training camp and so much more. This was one of the best tours we've taken. Also our little female guide was wonderful.

I have to agree with Scampi. I just got back from my cruise and the Chilkoot 7 hour train/bus tour was fantastic. The scenery was spectacular and Emerald Lake is more beautiful than any picture I had seen. We had Shawn as our guide. He was so personable and funny and knew how to beat the crowds the entire way which made for a fantastic tour. Not to be misssed!!:D

I was hoping to take the Chilkoot 7hr tour next month, but they informed me they are already sold out. I have booked the 3 1/2 hr tour through NCL, but I'm not terribly excited about it after reading that the return trip is likely to turn into a nap. Are there other reputable tour operators who offer similar tours like the 7hr excursion that Chilkoot offers?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide!

Question for Scampi (or anyone else): Do you know how many people total that Chilkoot will take? Scampi mentioned her tour last September was perhaps not full; I'm just wondering what "full" means. We've got this tour booked in early September this year. Thanks.

I was hoping to take the Chilkoot 7hr tour next month, but they informed me they are already sold out. I have booked the 3 1/2 hr tour through NCL, but I'm not terribly excited about it after reading that the return trip is likely to turn into a nap. Are there other reputable tour operators who offer similar tours like the 7hr excursion that Chilkoot offers?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide!

Have you inquired about Chilkoot's new 9 hr. tour to see if they have availability on it? Here's a link to their website...

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/carcross.htm

I highly recommend booking a tour with them. We've gone twice in one year and will go again on our next visit!

Trudy

I am really confused about this tour/excursion.

I am looking at the HAL site for the excursion and it states an 8 hou trip at a cost of $184/pp. However, the white pass railroad site states $229 with motorcoach? I don't really understand the options here. There is also something with the charter company I see noted above?

Basically, I just want to take a tour on the train if possible that involves being able to go visit the Yukon and return before the ship leaves the port. What would my best option be? Some trips appear to be one way vs. round trip. I don't want to book something that doesn't get me back! :eek:

We took this HAL tour on our May 25 - April 8 cruise and it was one of the two best on the cruise. Bus picked us up at the dock with tour guide, then drove north to Caribou Crossing beyond Carcross in the Yukon. Lunch was OK, but my son loved the opportunity to interact with the huskies, especially the puppies. Mammoth museum there was also good. Then after lunch we went to Emerald Lake, Carcross, and then back to Fraser to board the train. Our bus had a complete traincar - so it wasn't crowded at all. The bus made MANY photo stops. The tour was much better than I had expected from the HAL description. Many were concerned at Fraser that since the train was so late (almost an hour) that they would miss their ship. We were assured by our guide that since we had booked the tour through HAL there would be no problem - they would hold the ship if necessary.

We took this HAL tour on our May 25 - April 8 cruise and it was one of the two best on the cruise. Bus picked us up at the dock with tour guide, then drove north to Caribou Crossing beyond Carcross in the Yukon. Lunch was OK, but my son loved the opportunity to interact with the huskies, especially the puppies. Mammoth museum there was also good. Then after lunch we went to Emerald Lake, Carcross, and then back to Fraser to board the train. Our bus had a complete traincar - so it wasn't crowded at all. The bus made MANY photo stops. The tour was much better than I had expected from the HAL description. Many were concerned at Fraser that since the train was so late (almost an hour) that they would miss their ship. We were assured by our guide that since we had booked the tour through HAL there would be no problem - they would hold the ship if necessary.

That is exactly why I just booked it through the HAL website - I wanted the peace of mind over the savings of a few dollars.

Thanks for the review, I am looking forward to this!

Thank you baron. Please don't tell me that was on their website because I looked and looked

No, it's not on their website. They will email you the costs of all their trips.

And if they are booked full, keep trying as in my case, they will have cancellations and I was able to book my excursion with them a few days later.

Question for Scampi (or anyone else): Do you know how many people total that Chilkoot will take? Scampi mentioned her tour last September was perhaps not full; I'm just wondering what "full" means. We've got this tour booked in early September this year. Thanks.

When I booked our Family (16 of us) Kathy, (Capt. Larry's wife) told me we would be (1) 'over' her allotment on the train since (6) others had already booked. - but, she would speak to the 'Train' and 'squeeze' us all in.

That being said , I guess Chilkot has an allotment for 21 places on the 'Train' for each 'Tour'........I believe a Parlor Car on the train holds 45 PAX

Perhaps others that have done this w/Chilkoot can answer...we will be going in August! Can't wait!

Archived