Bacab Eco Park & Wild Wings Butterfly House???

gkrnjlr

We did the Bacab Resort Tour a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it immensely. Our tour included transportation, lunch, a locker to store our things, and use of the huge, gorgeous pool and slide all day. They also let us go through the butterfly house with another tour group, if we wanted. My 7yo daughter and I both quickly got bored with that, and it was hot inside the screening that houses the butterflies. So we skipped out halfway through and went back to the pool.

So, if you are really into butterflies and such, I would think you would enjoy it. The 9 mo daughter would probably enjoy the pool more, though. ;) I would just be sure that you can hang around and use the pool and eat lunch, in case the butterfly house doesn't do it for you.

So it was kind of dull in the butterfly house? We're not really into butterflies but thought that it would be fun for her and that there were enough other things to do. If the pool is the best part, we'd rather do another excursion!

Curious....what's on the menu where you eat there?

Thanks for your input!

Hey Janey... How are ya'll doing ? When is your next cruise ? We are going on the Norwegian Spirit for Thanksgiving week. How are the kids doing ? I often think about the time I met Adam and talked to him for the first time on the ship how he wanted to just run away from me. LOL :D Tell them I said hello. Ok well, ttyl

Just want to let you know that we were at Bacab Eco park last week and the mosqitos were HORRIBLE!! :( The tour guide couldn't even take us on the entire tour - we did the rainforest section but the butterfly tour was with us and they were told not to use bug spray until they exited the butterfly house - and were attacked by swarms of mosquitos inside the butterfly house. There were alot of miserable people on this tour.

We were there right after a tropical storm and it is the rainy season which did not help matters. I would not recommend this tour unless you're going between November and May. That's when the tour guides said the mosqito population is lowest. If you do go, make sure your bug spray has DEET. They also sell it there. Not sure of the price, because we had our own.

We did get lunch - which was good and the pool area was very nice not as many mosqitos. Our tour guide was great and the bus ride was fine and informative. Would definitely not recommend this tour for a little one at this time of year.

Information good to know. Thanks.

What about the bug spray with DEET. If we lather all of us (including our daughter) do you think it'd be worth it then?

What did you have to eat while you were there? And do you remember many options on the menu?

Thanks for the input!

We had OFF in the orange can. I wouldn't recommend this tour at all, really. Especially not if I had a baby with me. I don't even know if you can use bug spray on a baby? The can says to use "sparingly" on them and "sparingly" would not have worked last week. The only time I think it'd be okay is when the rainy season is over which is in November I think. There were so many mosquitos that we were all absolutely miserable. We weren't bitten, but they were all over everything and extremely annoying. We were basically a bunch of people walking -half running through the tour with arms flailing about. I'm sure it was a comical sight from an aerial view but not from our viewpoint!:( People were livid! We got a partial refund because of the horrible conditions. The tour operator didn't warn us of the conditions or give us the option to skip it beforehand. But you could tell the guide didn't want to be there any more than the rest of us. The butterfly tour people were no happier than we were. I think some of them even took taxi's back to town at their own expense.

The lunch was buffet style (no menu), rice and beans, some sort of bbq (Belizean style) chicken - I didn't eat it but dh and dd said it was spicy. They had potato salad, plaintains (delicious) and watermelon and papaya. They also had fruit juice or water. There was a bar there with a variety of cocktails, beer, etc.

If we had to do it again - No Way! Not even for free! There's got to be something much better to do there. Maybe an all inclusive resort at the beach or something like that. I don't know of any but I'm sure someone on these boards does!:)

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I'm glad you warned us because we were totally sold on this. I wonder if it's supposed to be like that all season or if you were there for a really bad period of it.

Nontheless.....I don't want to risk having a horrible day.

Thanks for the warning!

How awful! We were there in March, and I think that was the dry season. We had a great time. Too bad they couldn't have used some kind of fogger or something, but I guess that would hurt the butterflies too.

Hey, Janice!

• 2 months later...

We were there two weeks ago. We used the 30% DEET but I don't think we really needed it as I don't think anyone was bothered by mosquitoes.

I would not do this excursion again. The butterfly house was very nice. My husband and daughter refused to eat the lunch that was provided. I wasn't hungry so I just had some fruit and fried plantain.

After lunch people went in the pool. We are not pool people so we ended up sitting for 2 hours waiting for the bus.

By the time we got back it was nearly time for the last tender so there was no time for shopping. My daughter really wanted to shop. She didn't want to go on the excursion but we did not want her shopping alone in Belize so we said she should come with us. It was a mistake.

We're going home from this cruise and I have to say that the excursion was okay but I'm with you....we wouldn't do it again. We did however get in the pool and that's the only portion of it that we enjoyed. The butterfly house was nice but not as nice as we had hoped/expected.

• 5 months later...

I was going to book this excursion until I read your reviews:eek:

We are traveling with a 2 yo in May and I don't want to have her get eaten alive by mosquito's. I think we will stick to our original plan of the butterfly/turtle excursion in GC to see butterflies. I guess Belize will be our casual shopping port this time.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

We have heard from the Bacab Eco Park's marketing department, and were asked to share this information:

"This is a tour that was discontinued with Carnival Cruise Lines since October 1, 2009, and the original butterfly house was dismantled because it was too large (140 feet by 100 feet) and replaced with a much nicer and smaller one....." Bacab Eco Park

Archived