Which zipline to choose?

luvtcrz

We just got home yesterday. My husband did the zipline in Ketchikan. Supposedly, it is the longest in the world, at 1 minute, 50 seconds. Most of the people we spoke to said that is the one to do. My husband's only complaint was that it took so long to get up to the top. I'll ask him to log on tomorrow with any additional info.

We just got home yesterday. My husband did the zipline in Ketchikan. Supposedly, it is the longest in the world, at 1 minute, 50 seconds. Most of the people we spoke to said that is the one to do. My husband's only complaint was that it took so long to get up to the top. I'll ask him to log on tomorrow with any additional info.

My mistake! I apologize. He ziplined in Icy Straight. That is where the longest line is.

My husband and son ziplined with Alaska Canopy Adventures in Ketchikan. They booked through the cruiseline because it was the same price as booking independently. They both said it was awesome. There were 7 (or 8?) zips and 3 suspension bridges.

Linda

We did the Alaska Canapy Adventures in Juneau. It is the same company that does one of the tours in Ketchikan. We picked Juneau because it had more zips and less suspension bridges. I also like the rappeling at the end of the tour. In Ketchikan you walk down a flight of stairs. I tried to attached a picture, but I never have any luck getting them to work.

They have a website with pictures. Here is the link http://www.alaskacanopy.com/

We are thinking of doing Ketchikan the next time, but I have to say I really didn't like the suspension bridges so I am torn.

We LOVED Juneau. The guides were great and we had a wonderful time. We can't wait to go again last year.

We booked Alaska Zipline Adventures: http://www.alaskazip.com/index.html in Juneau independently last year, and we loved it! They had 5 or 6 zip lines and 1 suspension bridge. There are a few differences between them and Alaska Canopy Adventures: http://www.alaskacanopy.com/, so make sure that you check them both out. Both operate in Juneau, but only Alaska Canopy Adventures operates in Ketchikan.

We chose to go with Alaska Zipline Adventures because we hadn't ziplined before and didn't want to have to "hand-brake" ourselves, as you do with Alaska Canopy Adventures. Many other people have done the hand-braking and had no problem; I just didn't want another thing to be nervous about.

Part of the reason that we chose to zipline in Juneau over Ketchikan was that we had more port time in Juneau, so we had long enough to go ziplining, take a helicopter/glacier tour, and explore the town on our own. Our Ketchikan port time was much shorter.. I would suggest that you also consider your port time and ideas for other excursions in each port as part of your decision...

Good luck! :)

I've heard Icy Straight is a "Zip Ride" not a "Zip Line"

You are correct that Icy Strait Point is a Zip Rider. The differences as far as I know is that instead of just a harness, you have more of a plastic webbed seat and this zip rider goes straight down all at once with no platforms, braking or stops.

We took the ziprider at Icy Strait Point and loved it! We enjoyed the ride up to the top which took about 45 minutes. The ride down was about 90 seconds, but was very smooth and not at all scary. Scenery was beautiful. There is a bump at the bottom when you stop, but not a problem if you are expecting it.

We just got back from Alaska and zipped in Juneau with AlaskaCanopy through the cruiseline. The 'hand braking' was no problem at all. You start on a little short line so you can practice first. The guides were great and patient. One reason I chose them was to get to the ziplines you take a speed boat across the channel and a 4x4 up to the lines. I was scared to rapel down at the end but it was a piece of cake!

Our tablemates went with the other company and liked it also. That company has developed thier own braking system instead of 'hand braking'.

Whichever you choose you'll have a great time!

Archived