Glory leaving PC?

taffy12

I admire your faith, but that doesn't mean anything. Just ask anyone who booked June 09 on the Freedom in Europe.

Yes, it could change. In June 2002 I was booked on the Elation out of Los Angeles to the Mexican Riviera in May 2004. The Pride arrived fall 2003 as I recall. I ended up going to the Mexican Riviera on the Pride.

Nonetheless, the information I posted is currently the latest information available. As others have pointed out, if the Glory moves, then he can transfer to the Dream. However, it does not appear that the Glory will leave Port Canaveral until later in 2009.

I just heard that they are moving Conquest from Galveston to Topeka in April 2009.

Great. The good people of Kansas have been without a cruise ship for far too long. It is about time that Topeka got a cruise ship. I'm still waiting for one of the cruise lines to home port a cruise ship in Sky Harbor.

I'm sure they would keep Dream in Europe for the Summer then bring it over to PC. People are guessing that the Dream will launch early and take over some of the dates in Europe that Carnival cancelled on the Freedom.

I'm sure they would keep Dream in Europe for the Summer then bring it over to PC. People are guessing that the Dream will launch early and take over some of the dates in Europe that Carnival cancelled on the Freedom.

Keep Dreaming. :)

With Carnival Dream destined for Port Canaveral, I've heard a lot of speculation - some from people who seem pretty certain - that Glory is going to be moved. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this and when we might know for sure? I can see why they would move her, as seven-day itineraries usually start on Saturday and Sunday and PC can only handle one large ship each of those days (it'll be Freedom and Dream starting next fall), but with Dream set to launch in the fall of '09 and the Carnival site still showing dates for Glory out of PC through April '10, I'm clinging to some hope that they'll keep her around...[/quote Glory is staying put. Beleive this!

Here is the latest on the Glory and it being moved. Hopefully I was given the correct information! I have a group of 30 cabins booked on the Glory for Oct. 10, 2009. The reason I picked this date is because I had originally scheduled it for Sept. 12, 2009 but found out that it was the last sailing before the Glory went into dry dock for a two weeks. I just called and checked with Carnival again to make sure there had been no changes. I was told that the Glory os on PC through the first part of 2010 if not longer. According to Carnival the dry dock is for 2 weeks then there is one sailing before ours on Oct. 10. Hopefully they have the week before us to make sure things are running smoothly. :p

Dont we all wish. Hope it happens. What is the source of your rumor?

Pretty sure this is one of the same comments that was posted when Legend told everyone that Carnival was moving a ship to Baltimore. Everyone called him a liar & such, within a few days........what do ya know, Carnival announces that is it moving a ship to Baltimore.

Don't be so quick to doubt him.......he had a good laugh at all the posters that bashed him when he said Carnival was going to Baltimore. I have a feeling he will be laughing at this thread soon.

No news on Norfolk. Dream will do a few European cruises I predict and then move to PC and replace the Glory. Glory to Miami....all speculation..of course *g* oh and by the way I am not a him.

No news on Norfolk. Dream will do a few European cruises I predict and then move to PC and replace the Glory. Glory to Miami....all speculation..of course *g* oh and by the way I am not a him.

Thanks. I still keep hoping for something good from Norfolk but may just have to try Baltimore. :D Love the new terminal in Norfolk and have family there to "park" the car with so it's very easy for us to cruise from there.

Good God people. My head is spinning after reading this thread.

I agree with firefly. Post a link or what you say or it is pure speculation and soon to be rumor.

As far as PC and Dream/Glory, here's what I know to be true:

It has been announced that Dream will be at PC in the fall of 2009.

No announcements on the future of Glory at PC have been made.

The only dock deep enough for Glory and Dream at PC besides the Disney terminal is shared by RCCL on Sundays and Glory on Saturdays.

I believe that the reason for speculating that Glory is being replaced by Dream is that the CCL longer cruises almost always leave on Saturday and Sunday and there isn't room at PC during these days. Carnival may have 7 day cruises that don't leave on these 2 days, but if they do, I don't know of any. Even the CCL 6-8 day alternating cruises seem to all leave on the weekend. There is good basis for the rumor that Glory is leaving. But, it is just rumor at this time.

Also, I am not sure what the actual number is, but, a substantial percentage of the people who cruise out of any particular port are driving distance from the port. As many as 40-50 percent of the PC cruiser probably live in the Carolinas, GA, FL, and AL. Many have been on Glory several times. CCL can stimulate revenue by moving ships. The people near whatever port Glory may go to will book cruises on her and the Dream will draw in the Glory loyals. I personally have been on Glory 3 times and really love her. But I welcome Dream as a replacement if that is the plan.

There is a reason that ships are all female and called "her". They're like girlfriends and every once in awhile, we need a new one.;)

The building of a ship is a massive project. Probably most ship projects don't make their original schedule. Dream has been under construction for years and the fall of 2009 anticipated cruise schedule is the current "projection". If this slips until 2010, no problem, as Glory will cover it. If Dream were to be ready to sail in Oct. 2009 and all of the people booked on Glory are moved to Dream, nobody will complain. If they started booking Dream and then it was late, everybody will complain.

So you see, CCL is handling this the only possible way that the can at this time.

This is my speculation; as soon as CCL is 100% confident on the Dream schedule, an announcement will be made on a new port for Glory and all of the Glory bookings will be moved to Dream and anyone who complains will be offered a refund - and there will be no complaints.

And I will have a new Dream girl!

The building of a ship is a massive project. Probably most ship projects don't make their original schedule. Dream has been under construction for years and the fall of 2009 anticipated cruise schedule is the current "projection". If this slips until 2010, no problem, as Glory will cover it. If Dream were to be ready to sail in Oct. 2009 and all of the people booked on Glory are moved to Dream, nobody will complain. If they started booking Dream and then it was late, everybody will complain.

And I will have a new Dream girl!

Construction of Dream hasnt been going on for "years" it started this Spring. Its an 18 month process and to date Carnival has never missed a projected schedule.

In fact its last 4 ships were ready 1-2 weeks ahead of schedule. Im sure the shipyards get a bonus for getting the ship to the cruise line early.

Construction of Dream hasnt been going on for "years" it started this Spring. Its an 18 month process and to date Carnival has never missed a projected schedule.

In fact its last 4 ships were ready 1-2 weeks ahead of schedule. Im sure the shipyards get a bonus for getting the ship to the cruise line early.

I never said construction. I said the "project". Designing the ship, ordering all of the parts, issuing subcontacts for the engines, bars, bed, TVs, etc. , all happened pre-construction. Probably years before construction. A ship project includes more than the construction phase.

It's no surprise that Carnival has never missed a projected schedule. Look at the current projection(Fall of 2009). That is quite a wide window and I suspect that they will make this schedule.

I never said construction. I said the "project". Designing the ship, ordering all of the parts, issuing subcontacts for the engines, bars, bed, TVs, etc. , all happened pre-construction. Probably years before construction. A ship project includes more than the construction phase.

It's no surprise that Carnival has never missed a projected schedule. Look at the current projection(Fall of 2009). That is quite a wide window and I suspect that they will make this schedule.

No, just 18 months

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:7LF5Q7B9d0MJ:www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR948/MR948.appi.pdf+designing+a+cruise+ship+18+months&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Fincantieri estimates that the first of a class for the current-size cruise ships re-

quires approximately 2 million man-hours of Fincantieri employee labor plus

an additional 60 to 70 percent for subcontractors—a figure Fincantieri expects

to decrease by about one-third for the second ship in a class. Construction time

for current cruise ships is approximately 18 months from contract award to de-

livery. The approximate cost is $15 per kilogram, based on displacement tons.

No, just 18 months

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:7LF5Q7B9d0MJ:www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR948/MR948.appi.pdf+designing+a+cruise+ship+18+months&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Fincantieri estimates that the first of a class for the current-size cruise ships re-

quires approximately 2 million man-hours of Fincantieri employee labor plus

an additional 60 to 70 percent for subcontractors—a figure Fincantieri expects

to decrease by about one-third for the second ship in a class. Construction time

for current cruise ships is approximately 18 months from contract award to de-

livery. The approximate cost is $15 per kilogram, based on displacement tons.

You are still thinking construction phase. That website also says this:

"Subcontractors and suppliers account for approximately 75 percent of the costof the ship and concentrate on the hotel functions, such as cabins, galleys, andentertainment areas. Fincantieri works closely with the subcontractors during the design phase."

Do you actually think that on day 1 of an 18 month construction phase that they start designing the hull and the rest of the ship?

Use your noggen!

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR948/MR948.apph.pdf

That is from another ship builder for Carnival. It is PDF so I was unable to cut and paste. It says that it takes 3 years from the design until delivery. However, it also says that it needs a design specification before it starts the design. The design specification is around 2000 pages for an American line. That design specification is part of the ship "project" and I am guessing that it takes at least 1 year.

You are still thinking construction phase. That website also says this:

"Subcontractors and suppliers account for approximately 75 percent of the costof the ship and concentrate on the hotel functions, such as cabins, galleys, andentertainment areas. Fincantieri works closely with the subcontractors during the design phase."

Do you actually think that on day 1 of an 18 month construction phase that they start designing the hull and the rest of the ship?

Use your noggen!

I've worked in the commercial construction business for 14 years as a project manager and I can tell you Fincantieri has been working for many months (prior to actual construction) obtaining bids from subcontractors and suppliers during the design phase. BUT the actual construction phase of 18 months is fairly accurate and trust me, not ONE supply is ordered and no subcontractors are hired until that signed contract is in Fincantieri's hands. The design phase and the construction phase are two different things - in your original post you referred to "the Dream being under construction for years". I'm assuming you meant "under design for years".

The building of a ship is a massive project. Probably most ship projects don't make their original schedule. Dream has been under construction for years and the fall of 2009 anticipated cruise schedule is the current "projection".

Read your own post. You did say the ship had been under construction for years.

Archived