Explorer Marine Lab Tour

tprime76

On our cruise two weeks ago, there were sign up sheets in the library. We asked at guest services. Just make sure and sign up the first day on the ship and you'll be guaranteed to get a tour! My husband really enjoyed it.

RCCL, in conjunction with the Univ of Miami (I think) has a small oceanographic lab on one of the lower decks. The instruments measure a variety of data and send it back to the university. The lab is not really much, but the presentation is interesting. There is also a display near the Aquarium Bar showing data from the lab. The tour starts with a video presentation in the movie theater, then moves downstairs to the lab itself. Not a bad thing to do on a sea day!

Tropicbird

There should be info in the Cruise Compass where to sign up for the tours. There are 2 labs on the ship. An oceanographic lab that does tests on the sea water and an atmospheric lab on one of the top deck that tests the (naturally) atmospheric conditions. The tour goes to both. It is well worth the time.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum age for the tour? I'm thinking my 7th grade daughter could learn something that she could share with her science class upon our return.

Yes, I am one of those horrible parents actually taking my child out of school for a week. Since this is our first family vacation since she was 18 mos old and probably our last with her 22 yr old sister and 20 yr old brother moving out in the next month or two I don't feel one darn bit guilty about it!

Does anyone know if there is a minimum age for the tour? I'm thinking my 7th grade daughter could learn something that she could share with her science class upon our return.

Yes, I am one of those horrible parents actually taking my child out of school for a week. Since this is our first family vacation since she was 18 mos old and probably our last with her 22 yr old sister and 20 yr old brother moving out in the next month or two I don't feel one darn bit guilty about it!

My children went on the tour when one was 11 and the other 13 years old. No problem at all. In fact, my son was in 7th grade at the time and really enjoyed the tour. He is very scinetifically minded. My daughter, the 11 year old then, did not enjoy it as much... If they get bored in the first part of the tour on Deck 2, be sure they stay and go up to the other portion - deck 11 or 12 (can't remember for sure...) I found both parts very interesting.

We took them out of school for that cruise, and do it regularly for an annual cruise with the company my husband works for. They both reported to their class on the lab tour. We figure, what difference does 1 week make to an entire school year? They get their assignments before we leave and complete as many of them as possible then. We take a few of them with us for them to do on the airplane, in the airport, at the hotel befor ethe cruise, etc. Once we are on the cruise we don't expect them to do homework - it's their vacation too! One tip: we copy the pages of the textbooks they need to take along so they don't have to carry the heavy books in their backpacks. We just shred the copies once we return home.

Cruislovin-

Thanks for the tip on schoolbooks. I hadn't thought of copying the pages! I am taking my 6th grade daughter out of school, it is teacher conference week so she will only miss 3 days. After I booked the dates I found out that about 40 other kids will be out of school that week for Space Camp in Alabama. I figure there will be no big projects due or tests that week. How lucky can we get?;)

My kids have missed a heck of a lot more school from the recent hurricanes than any possible cruise. And they need vacations just like the rest of us. I traveled more than once during Grad school and never failed to miss an assignment. And 100% of the people in the Solarium (Adult) area could care less whether was I reading a textbook or not. I'd put my time in the first few days and then enjoy the rest of the trip (guilt-free) :D .

I never feel guilty about showing my kids exotic ports of call. That's educational in itself.

Cruislovin-

Thanks for the tip on schoolbooks. I hadn't thought of copying the pages! I am taking my 6th grade daughter out of school, it is teacher conference week so she will only miss 3 days. After I booked the dates I found out that about 40 other kids will be out of school that week for Space Camp in Alabama. I figure there will be no big projects due or tests that week. How lucky can we get?;)

That worked out really well for you! We try to check on project and tests well in advance but some teachers are more cooperative about that than others in giving you early information. Copying the pages of the books has worked GREAT for them when we took them on cruises the past 2 years in February. Have a fantastic cruise!

for the info and support! I've read so many negative posts from people complaining about being subjected to the presence of children and/or implying that good parents would never take their children out of school for a vacation that I was expecting to be flamed! I'm glad to know that others agree that life experiences and family time are just as important as book learning.

Archived