Have you been to Tonga (tongatapu Island)

Alymo1

Hi we are going to Tonga on next years cruise.

Have you been to Tonga and can you recommend places to go?

We like to do our own tours were possible and are considering a hire car and going around the island. This seems to work out cheaper than any organised tour for 2 adults and 2 kids.

We are open to any tours on the island that you can recommend

Regards

Robert and Simone

Hi,

I haven't been there for many years (Fairstar Days) but it was an amazing place. We went to a beach with a large cave where the locals sang for us and then a BBQ. Whatever you do you will enjoy the people are lovely. I am glad that it is now back on the itinerary for the Pacific. I remember you could hire horses (no saddles) to ride along the beach.

Spread some joy and take a present to give if you visit a village. Tonga still is very undeveloped and many things we take for granted are not available. I have always taken along a little present things like, sets of coloured pencils, footballs (dont take up much room deflated), children's books with me and they have always been gratefully appreciated. Tonga is rugby crazy!!!

Try it I am sure you will be hooked on the concept too!:p

Spent 12 days there a few years ago 9 of them at the Royal Sunset Island Resort on Atata Island which was great....very very basic....no papers no tv no radio ....bliss....As for the mainland the little town centre of Nuku alofa has been rebuilt after the locals burnt it down a couple of years ago...not a bad thing it was a hovel..we did venture out on a day tour with one of the locals around the island and apart from the blowholes and the beerbottle decorated graves there was little to see, the history was interesting ...As mentioned the people are lovely but watch yourself.....Chez and Geri currently on the Pacific Dawn have a blog going and i am sure they won't mind me copying their review on their day in Tongatapu....:D :D The only souvenier we brought home was a bad dose of Giardia which we caught in the International Dateline Hotels swimming pool:mad: cheers shiona

Chez and Geri said

"I had previously organised a tour with Toni, who runs a guesthouse in Nukualofa. The ship was nearly 2 hours late but he was waiting for us at the wharf. The Welshies, Tbuff’s, Lucyloo’s and my self were also joined by another couple who booked him off the internet.

Nukualofa town is about 2 kms from the wharf area, the town is very basic and I wouldnt spend the day there. Toni had a 10 seater bus and took us to all the usual tourist sights, Captain Cooks landing place, the blowholes and all the churches OMG they are everywhere there is a Morman church in every village. We had lunch at the Good Samaritan Resort which had a lovely beach. I don’t think I would come back to Nukualofa in a hurry, it was great to see, but nothing here to hold my interest. Will be good to compare Vavau, which we visit tomorrow".

Archived