Why not more Ports?

kjwinston

In these days of hustle and bustle and the cost of Gas, wouldn’t it be wise to add more ports in the USA? I know that Celebrity likes using San Diego and Vancouver. But, looking at the New Year itineraries they seem to have skipped Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles (Long Beach). I see that Baltimore now is trying to become a Hub for Carnival. This makes good sense for passengers to get on board without spending a lot of money going to Florida from the larger cities.

Would it not make sense that for those out in Middle America might get a deal to take one-way rentals (or round trip) and drive themselves since airfares are going way up and they are cutting back on many flights. This would be a good way of merging some Car Rentals with the Cruise Lines. You could get a “great” car with better Gas mileage and you might save some dollars.

I would not mind driving some 12 hours to a destination to get on a ship, rather than miss a plane, or have it cancelled. Having new cruise Hubs just might be a good answer for the fuel crises, which will never go away. But, it needs to start with closer ports.

I think that would be nice if more U.S. ports were utilized.

What would really help me would be if a cruise ship started sailing out of Chicago!

Please ask your ship to make a stop in Toronto too! It would be really good in winter when the driving conditions are bad and many flights are cancelled.:)

Sheila

If the poster is suggesting that a cruise visit several US ports on a cruise, the problem is the Jones act which prohibits foreign flagged ships from transporting passengers between 2 US Ports.

There are some exceptions that allow this to happen in the Caribbean, (such as between San Juan and Saint Thomas) and a foreign flagged ship can go to multiple ports in Alaska (originating or terminating in Canada) or Hawaii, (with a stop in Ensenada or Fanning Island). Sometimes the Ensenada stop is in the middle of the night, and all they do is throw a rope ashore.

Of course a US Flagged ship can transport passengers between the Hawaiian Islands, (or could transport passengers along the East Coast) but these require US crews, have been tried in Hawaii, and have not been economically viable.

Archived