Cell phone service on Sapphire?

familytrippers

anyone tried recently to use their cell phone on the Sapphire? I understand Princess has a new provider who is supposed to allow better coverage by year's end on all the ships. I have Verizon and would love to be able to check on the family from my cabin while en route to Alaska end of this month.... thanks!

We were on the Sapphire May 24-31. We have Verizon, and had service at each port. No dropped calls or problems at all - the signal was great. Linda

Same with me. I have Verizon and was on the Island Princess May 26-June 2. I had service -- 4 bars -- in every port we visited, as well as at the Denali Princess Lodge AND EVEN in Glacier Bay! I can't even imagine where the nearest tower was, but I called my mother on my cell from Marjerie Glacier at the northern tip of Glacier Bay. She couldn't believe it, and neither could I.

I was on the Sapphire from 4/14 - 5/13 and was able to use my cell phone only while in port.

One thing to remember is that if you are planning to use your cell phone while on the ship after this service starts, you'll be charged a significant fee per minute on top of your regular cell phone charges. It's not going to be a free cell phone service. It'll be a lot cheaper to stay in touch by email.

Archived