if not stingrays... then what?

01Sweetpea

Well after watching ChesterH's video (whihc is wonderful by the way), and knowing my kids, DH and I have decided NOT to do a stingray swim when we cruise in 7/05. So the questions is... what else to do? Grand Cayman will be our first port of call, so I want to do something other than just lay on the beach. I know DH really wants to snorkel, maybe cemetary beach, but what else to really interest 3 kids (12,9,9)?

There was a nice article in Islands Magazine on the Jolly Roger in Grand Cayman and it sounds like a lot of fun, especially for the kids. The website says the kids can help fire the cannon, help hoist the mainsail, and make their brother or sister (or parent!) walk the plank at the end of a very blunt sword. We've booked for our December 18th Grandeur cruise, although this was before the hurricanes. I haven't heard anything as to how the Jolly Roger fared -- hopefully all is okay. I know they also make a snorkle stop, but I think you have to bring your own equipment. Also rum punch is included. The prices are $35 per adult and $25 for kids 3-12.

My son is 8 y/o and he wasn't too crazy about swimming with the stingrays on our last cruise a couple of years ago and somehow I don't think that will have changed!! The website for the Jolly Roger is http://www.jollyrogercayman.com.

Beth

Thanks Zydecocruiser ... its hard to tell exactly what damage was sustained, and I wouldn't even begin to guess if it will be up and running by our December cruise. I sent an e-mail to the person I booked my reservation through and hopefully will get some type of response eventually. If not, I may be using some of the other ideas here for myself!

Thanks again,

Beth

I wouldn't rule it out, but you might think about backup plan or two. The picture is probably a month old. A lot of the damage is probably cosmetic and can be repaired quickly. I'm not even sure if it really sails or just motors around.

I know the people are trying like crazy to get everything back in operation as quickly as possible.

I came across these pictures from a dive shop that is well on the way to recovery:

http://www.divetech.com/ivanphotos.htm

Not quite sure how they are managing smiles, but they already seem to be out helping to clean up the reefs.

bill

Thanks, Bill. Those photos are really encouraging and uplifting! I hope the rest of the island is faring as well.

This is the reply I got from Harry at the Jolly Roger:

"We did ok and the ship survived. in december we will be in full operation.

actually next week we hope to start. we dont have power in the office till next week so i cant give you a schedule until then."

So things seem to be moving along, although I'm sure it's been a tough road for all of Cayman.

Thanks again Bill.

Beth

sweetpea,

Are you the same person on the Sandals message boards?? I am sorry that you ruled out the stingrays because they are so much fun. There is Hell and the Turtle farm. I know Red Sail sports has a glass bottom boat that does the stingrays and you don't need to get into the water. Plus, there is Atlantis. Captain Marvins also has a glass bottom boat but it doesn't go to the stingrays.

DH & I did spend part of our 2002 honeymoon at Sandals (St. Lucia - Halcyon), but I've never been on their boards. So, nope... not me.

As much as the sting-ray swim looks like a tremendous amount of fun, I think our 2 9yos would FREAK :eek: . The other option DH & I keep throwing around is to book an excursion with a local operator that includes the sting-rays and a couple of regular snorkeling stops. This way there are a small amount of people on the boat, the kids will do fine snorkeling, and once we get to the sting-rays, they can stay on the boat and watch. If they get brave enough to get in the water with the sting-rays they can CLING onto DH & I.

I know DH REALLY wants to do the sting-rays, so I'm trying to find the best option to keep everyone happy, and yet not traumatize the kids!:D

I found a local tour operator who is taking us to stingray city and to another spot to snorkel. The tour will cost $25 per person and includes bottled water or soft drinks. I am taking my two girls ages 4 and 5. My DH and I have been twice already. It is a lot of fun to snorkel with the stingrays and my kids are so excited about it. I would definitely advise you to try and take your kids. If they are afraid, they don't need to get out of the boat. However, the rays are very gentle and it is such a wonderful experience.

We used Captain Marvins when were were in Jamaica. They took us to the stingrays and then another spot to snorkle. After, they arranged a trip to the turtle farm and Hell. The children may like the turtle farm. I know Red Sail Sports has a glass bottom boat to the stingrays, so the 9 year olds can watch them from the boat.

That is funny that there is a sweetpea on the message board I go to with Sandals. We have been to Sandals Dunns River (Jamaica) and The Royal Bahamian (Bahamas) and are going back to the new Jamaica Whitehouse next year.

Captain Marvins has a tour that goes to stingray city and one snorkeling spot and a tour that goes to stingray city and two snorkeling spots. He also has a glass bottom boat snorkeling tour that goes to three reefs/shipwrecks but not stingray city. You can add on a land tour to the turtle farm also. Check his website for more information.

Kathy

Archived