When can cruise ships return?

Diva Onboard

I know that there are reports that say the Caymans will be open for tourism on November 14th - however - at this time, no cruise ships are allowed to dock.

Does this November 14th date include opening of the piers? We are scheduled to cruise there in early February and are quite concerned that this port may be eliminated from our itinerary.

Amazing what trying the obvious might turn up! I emailed someone at the Grand Cayman Port and this was the response (and pretty quick I must say) - not firm, but is still encouraging!

"[font=Courier New]We are now in the recovery process we hope to be operational by the end of October mid-November 2004."[/font]
[font=Courier New][/font]

Thanks everyone for your comments. We will continue to monitor the progress. We are more fortunate than others because we are not sailing until February 2005. For those sailing sooner, we hope that you will be able to dock in the coming weeks.

Thanks again!

[quote name='debvm']I just called Carnival and they said the itinerary including Grand Cayman is not changed.....don't know how many excursions are up and running tho.[/QUOTE]

That's what Carnival says, but they have no idea. With GC limiting cruise lines to just 2 ships per day, obviously not everyone will be able to go there. I'm wondering how GC will decide which two get to go.

Another cruise web site had an article by the tourism ministry which claims that when the cruise ships are allowed to Grand Cayman only two or three ships will be allowed per day. They also said that it may take an additional three months before they are at 100%.

I believe that this may be logical as the island will still be recovering and probably not able to handle the 14,000 cruise passengers that go ashore when 7 ships sometimes arrive.

Has anyone heard of any other ports being added to replace the stop in Grand Cayman. We are sailing the week of Nov. 20 (Thanksgiving). Our stop at Grand Cayman on the Grandeur of the Seas was on a day when about 6 or 7 ships are also scheduled. We may not be among the "two" ships to tender.
Anyone knows whether or not RCCL can or will add another port or stay overnight in Cozumel:confused: ?

[B]Kimsky-[/B] I don't think anyone, including RCI knows whats going to happen. We are booked on the 11-13 Grandeur cruise and would surley appreciate a straight answer from the cruise line. I know this has been a stressful time for everone involved but it is time for the Cruise Lines to remember they are keeping thousands of customers in limbo. Surley they had a contingency plan in place for just such an event? :confused:

I would really rather go to an alternative port than have another day at sea.

We will just have to wait until RCCL makes their final decision. I'm sure they are waiting, just like the passengers, monitoring the daily status on Grand Cayman.

Since your cruise is the week before ours, you should know your final schedule soon.

Regardless, have a wonderful time.

Kim

Hi Kim

We are from the UK on P&O's Adonia embarking in Barbados on 11/19 and were due in GC on 23rd, which I think is the same day as Grandeur (and 4 or 5 others). We have found out today that we will not be calling at GC but P&O have rearranged the first few days of our itinerary and we will have a half day stop at Isla Margarita on 11/20 and a full day in Bonaire instead of the scheduled half day on the 21st. Then we get two days at sea till we get to Cozumel where we return to our original itinerary. We are naturally a little disappointed, but more importantly, hope that GC gets back to normal soon.

Hope you get an answer from RCCL soon, but enjoy your cruise whatever happens and if you see Adonia on your travels around the Caribbean, give us a wave!
Best wishes
Ann

Archived