New Surcharge for Oceania...Celeb next??

Napi's Mom

I don't htink they will put it up so much right now since RCCL (who own both Celebrity and Azamara) actually hedge their oil but if it keeps going like this sure they too will have no alternative but to up their fuel surcharges too. However it will only apply to bookings made after these announcements.

Think all others will follow suit:confused:

I think Oceania is 'leading the pack' with their fuel surcharge...it's a 50% increase from their current surcharge. HAL just increased theirs to $9, and NCL to $11.

Remember too that Oceania only has 2 smaller ships which due to the size and number of passengers produce higher overheads but when you have to fill 27 ships - the most of which have an average of 2.500 passengers you are looking much better at the overheads (larger ships use more fuel BUT due to the much higher number of passengers the costs are split much better too)

I originally booked my cruise on the Solstice back in February and the fuel surcharge was $5 per person per day. However, yesterday I called to upgrade my category of cabin for the same cruise and the fuel surcharge has now increased to $8 per person per day and they did not honor the pricing on my original booking. Of course we're not talking about a lot of money here, but the total fuel surcharge for 2 people in the cabin increased from $70 to $112. So they are definitely increasing but not as much (yet) as some of the other lines. I'm really fine with it though because I got my ideal cabin..... a combination of a CC & SV. There aren't many of those on the ship and they said I got the last one available for that particular sailing. Pure luck! Can't wait!!!

I originally booked my cruise on the Solstice back in February and the fuel surcharge was $5 per person per day. However, yesterday I called to upgrade my category of cabin for the same cruise and the fuel surcharge has now increased to $8 per person per day and they did not honor the pricing on my original booking. Of course we're not talking about a lot of money here, but the total fuel surcharge for 2 people in the cabin increased from $70 to $112. So they are definitely increasing but not as much (yet) as some of the other lines. I'm really fine with it though because I got my ideal cabin..... a combination of a CC & SV. There aren't many of those on the ship and they said I got the last one available for that particular sailing. Pure luck! Can't wait!!!

I am under the impression that the fuel surcharge in effect at the time of deposit is that which should be charged. I called to make a change last week and they wanted to change my res. # and tack on fuelsurcharge. I said....nevermind....hung up and called back and got someone to zip it right through on the original res#.

How come we are paying a fuel surcharge and the price of the cruise continues upward??:confused:

I've noticed a jump in my grocery bills lately ... the increased cost of food is probably also impacting the cruise lines.

How come we are paying a fuel surcharge and the price of the cruise continues upward??:confused:

Unfortunately, its called Inflation. Our economy seems to be going through a concerning jump in inflation of late. I agree it is very frustrating.

Remember too that Oceania only has 2 smaller ships which due to the size and number of passengers produce higher overheads but when you have to fill 27 ships - the most of which have an average of 2.500 passengers you are looking much better at the overheads (larger ships use more fuel BUT due to the much higher number of passengers the costs are split much better too)

Oceania has had 3 ships for at least the last 3 yrs., as we were on the Nautica in Nov. 06 and helped celebrate its' 1st BD (As Nautica) But it's agreed that the more ships you have the easier it is to spread the costs.

A barrel of oil goes up 5$ and a gallon of gas goes up 50c. (I remember there are 55 gallons in a barrel?? thats like 25$ more we're paying per barrel than they are! Don't believe that the cost of refining has gone up that much!):mad:

Sorry Napi Mom you are right - it was atypo however the fact remains that theses smaller ships do have much higher overheads compared to the big ones and due to the smaller number of passengers these overhead are spilt among a smaller group making these cruises more expensive - or where do you think this trend towards larger ships come from - not from the passengers. It is simply cheaper to run a larger ship these days. ironic as it seems but that is the bottom line the bigger, more passengers the cheaper it is.

Archived