Prescription meds in Cozumel?

cmar143

Yes, you can even get prescription pain pills at the souvenier shops!

What? Can you tell us where this takes place? Narcotic pain medicine requires a prescription from a Mexican physician licensed to prescribe narcotics, not all doctors can do that here.

Things like antibiotics and many medications that have no narcotics are readily available without a prescription at any pharmacy.

Mexican business licenses are very specific about what a company can do. I don't know of any t-shirt or jewellery stores that also count on a pharmacy license, so this statement is sort of shocking to a guy who has lived in this country for 28 years.

This is an extraordinary situation you speak of and I am very curious about it. I'm not questioning what you are saying but I'm very interested in how this can be possible.

Yes, you can even get prescription pain pills at the souvenier shops!

What? Can you tell us where this takes place? Narcotic pain medicine requires a prescription from a Mexican physician licensed to prescribe narcotics, not all doctors can do that here.

Things like antibiotics and many medications that have no narcotics are readily available without a prescription at any pharmacy.

Mexican business licenses are very specific about what a company can do. I don't know of any t-shirt or jewellery stores that also count on a pharmacy license, so this statement is sort of shocking to a guy who has lived in this country for 28 years.

This is an extraordinary situation you speak of and I am very curious about it. I'm not questioning what you are saying but I'm very interested in how this can be possible.

Jim,

As far as pain meds go, I cannot say. But I think Royalcruz may have been talking about one specific shop on the Cozumel strip between Frogs and the square. The bag my purchased goodies were placed in said Playa Mart. I never noted any name outside the building. You know how they all look alike!

DH & I were drawn in there by specific shirts we saw as we walked by. Once inside, we found many other souveneir items... and the largest selection of beer and soda I ever saw on Cozumel, or perhaps even in Cancun! Including Mountain Dew! :D More to the point, this place was also like a farmacia... there were several types of drugs available behind the cashier. So maybe Royalcruz was thinking they had pain meds because of all the bottles on the wall, and thinking also that it is a common thing in Cozumel, to have the two types of stores together. I know how regulations go in Mexico... :mad: That's why I had to move back here! :(

Just got back on the Imagination and we bought several bottles of Amoxicillin (2 for $16). Also got some prescription eyedrops that are very pricey in the US but got them for $27 in the same bottle and box, so I know they are the real thing. They had all sorts of stuff, but I didn't see any narcotics. I heard you have to ask for those and they have them behind the counter. Was a little nervous as we went through customs, but there was no problem.

They did have Viagara everywhere!!:D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw meds in the stores for Flexeril and Xanax and Oxycodone for about 30.00USD for 200

Archived