Bringing wine on board

jbrob

I know that the Celebrity rule is that you can take on board two bottles of wine per stateroom. What happens if I have 2 bottles in my checked luggage and my husband has two bottles in his carry on?

I know that the Celebrity rule is that you can take on board two bottles of wine per stateroom. What happens if I have 2 bottles in my checked luggage and my husband has two bottles in his carry on?

Most likely you'd get away with it, but you are violating their alcohol policy and are subject to penalties if caught, up to being booted off the ship at your expense.

We recently had two bottles each in carry-ons and joined separate queues. We needn't have bothered as they didn't scan bags on embarkation but they did at ports. We only took wine on at embarkation. If they had booted us off they would have had an empty cabin and would have lost the $ we spent on the ship and staff would have lost tips. I doubt that they would do this. I think the worst they would do would be to confiscate the extra two bottles and then you could have a party on the last night when they return them. After X ignored our instructions and changed our bill to £ Sterling at a very unfavourable rate, when we had opted for our card to be charged in $, I have no guilt about it. Good luck and enjoy.

But, as a new cruiser to Celebrity, can you tell me whether it is permitted to bring, say 2 bottles of champagne/sparkling wine per stateroom? Or is it only the "flat stuff".

Thanks!

Sorry to read about the restrictive wine policy with X!

[size=5

We just came back from the Millenium cruise to Alaska. We have cruised Celebrity l9 times and NEVER brought wine on board for fear of being caught. This time we DID bring on 2 bottles TOTAL and all the woman said to me was "Looks like you plan on having a good time." The next time we cruise on Celebrity, the husband will carry on 2 bottles and go way ahead of me. I will then check on with my 2 bottles. Of course we drink CHEAP wine so if they take it, they take it.

We just came back from the Millenium cruise to Alaska. We have cruised Celebrity l9 times and NEVER brought wine on board for fear of being caught.

You are allowed to bring on two bottles per stateroom when first boarding the ship. No need to worry about being caught if you stick to the two bottles per stateroom rule.

Most likely you'd get away with it, but you are violating their alcohol policy and are subject to penalties if caught, up to being booted off the ship at your expense.

:rolleyes:

No one has EVER heard a report of people being denied boarding or "booted off the ship" for attempting to bring alcohol on board. If they caught you (and that's a big IF), all they would do is confiscate the bottles and then return them to you on the last night (if they don't lose them, which has been reported numerous times). Celebrity is not stupid enough to throw away customers for something as innocuous as bringing wine onboard, especially since they ALLOW it up to two bottles.

The big question is whether or not you'll get caught, and the consensus on the boards here (from those who've done it) is that it is highly unlikely that you will...the likelihood being very dependent on the region in which you are cruising, and the time of year. Evidently they are most likely to be watching out for booze-smugglers on Spring Break cruises in the Caribbean, and LEAST likely to bother you in Europe.

I plan on bringing two bottles in each checked bag, and two bottles in each carry-on, on my upcoming Med cruise. I fully expect to get through with all of them. :)

Booting off is the ultimate sanction the cruise line has for a number of "offences" but if you carefully read the code of conduct it can only be applied AFTER you have failed to comply with a previous sanction unless you are commiting a criminal offence. So carrying on drink would not be a criminal act.

There is no issue with wine, there could be with the hard stuff and you will find the ships scanning team (who do not scan at the gangway on embarkation) are much more cautious than the port guys (they are employed by X and have corporate policy drilled into them) hence another reason you will see differences between Day 1 and ports of call

A

Hi Everyone,

I still get a little nervous putting bottled wine in my checked bags for fear of breakage. Yes, I use bubble wrap and then put it into a large ziploc, but the way luggage in handled these days, it still concerns me.

Therefore, I would like to know if anyone has ever taken box wine aboard and if so, did it get through? I know it is more than two bottles, but seems like a safer option. I also realize that they are heavier, but over the years, we have learned to pack light so that would not be an issue for us. And yes, it is a lot of wine, but we try not to cruise less than 14 days and like to share with friends we meet onboard. Lastly, boxed wine is cheap, so if they took it it is not a big loss, but then that would leave me with no wine at all for the cruise!

I have read many reports of boxed wine making it safely into cabins, and not a single report of boxed wine being confiscated. However, you already mentioned the downside in your post...there are few, if any, wines worth drinking that come in a box!

"Life's too short to drink bad wine" - anonymous :D :D :D

What if we don't bring any on board when we embark, but want to bring on 2 bottles at the first port of call. We do not want to check luggage so no liquids allowed, and there will be no opportunity to buy wine before we board. However, Our first stop is Key West, and we could buy a couple of bottles there. Would we be allowed to take those on board?

What if we don't bring any on board when we embark, but want to bring on 2 bottles at the first port of call. We do not want to check luggage so no liquids allowed, and there will be no opportunity to buy wine before we board. However, Our first stop is Key West, and we could buy a couple of bottles there. Would we be allowed to take those on board?

CLOU, the sad fact is that it is against the rules to bring wine on board from a port stop. Whether or not you can get away with breaking that rule is another question. As mentioned above, my understanding is that the likelihood of getting away with booze smuggling on a Celebrity ship is dependent on the region of the cruise, and the time of year. My research indicates they are more likely to enforce the rule (confiscate your bottles) in the Caribbean, and at times when there are more children and/or young people on board, i.e. spring break and holidays. In Key West, your risk of confiscation will be higher than in Europe. So, try it, but be prepared for the worst.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't make sense, since we would be staying within the 2 bottle limit, but I guess they have no way of knowing how much someone brings on at each port. I guess we will either have to check luggage or forego the wine in the room, since I don't plan on carrying much off at Key West in which to smuggle the wine back on.

Archived