Three to a cabin

Spicey477

Hi everyone,

I tried searching this topic on this forum and on the "money saving tips" forum, to no avail...

I have cruised on Princess twice, with just my husband and I. I am trying to plan a family extravaganza at Thanksgiving on the Ruby. This is the first time that I have been getting prices for a cabin that has two adults and one child (5 yo). With all my quotes that I have been getting, the two adults are, for example, $800 a piece, and the child is, for example, $700. Is it usually that close on Princess for a third person in the cabin? Do other cruiselines price cabins differently, I would be willing to try something different in order to help the price.

Thanks in advance!!

I think it depends on when you sail and the room catagory. If you are going over Thanksgiving ( or Christmas) seems like everything is a bit higher in price including the 3rd passenger fare.

Not sure about how other lines handle it.

Try Holland America cruises. I priced out a cruise for 4 in a cabin in November (not Thanksgiving) and Holland America only charged an extra $99 per 3rd and 4th person. Princess charges more for a 3rd and 4th person and also adds in an extra $100 per 3rd & 4th person each time you go up a room category. We still decided to book the Crown Princess, but were tempted to book Holland America because it was cheaper.

Most cruiselines are generally the same. For the "in demand" sailings, like holidays and summer, the 3rd/4th passenger rate can be almost as much as the 1st/2nd person rate. For less busy times of the year, you can get great bargains for the 3rd and 4th person. I realize your child is too young for this, but we often get our teens their own inside cabin across the hall from ours and their fare is nearly the same price as having them as 3rd/4th passengers in our cabin, so we can get two cabins for only slightly more than cramming all 4 of us into one cabin. However, this is not during prime time, like Thanksgiving.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

NJtwinmom, funny you should mention HAL because a colleague said that their 3rd person in the cabin, an 18 yo, was going to be $99 on an Alaska cruise. When she told me that I was wondering to myself if many of the other lines gave you a break on the 3rd/4th and perhaps Princess didn't.

DonnaK, I hear you about the price difference and putting the kids in their own cabin, why not? Why have four people wrangling to get into that bathroom area all at once?:)

I will look around and see about other's pricing. We *really* want to go on the Ruby, it will only be the third sailing, but whatever works for everyone. Shockingly, the prices are not much different for Thanksgiving than for the surrounding weeks.

Archived