Booked in handicapped cabins on Zui

skippycruises

Hello,

We are booked in handicapped cabins on the Z, and don't require them. Tried to change through HAL, but we have to go through our online agency (which we refuse to do-don't ever use cruiseshopping.com) Any ideas or suggestions as to what we might do. I don't mind switching cabins, just don't want to get a lower category room than what we paid for! Thanks!

Maybe skippycruises wants to forego the handicapped-equipped cabin for someone else who might actually NEED it?

I realize that most disabled people who require handicapped cabins book well in advance to ensure that they'll get one, and also that many cruiselines will probably turn right around and sell it to someone else who doesn't need it, but I, for one, applaud skippycruises' selfless gesture. And, just maybe, that cabin might fall into the hands of a passenger who can make better use of it, even if they aren't totally disabled.

Maybe skippycruises wants to forego the handicapped-equipped cabin for someone else who might actually NEED it?

Should a handicapped passenger need it, the line will have no problem moving the OP and assigning the cabin to the one who needs it. No need to get snotty.....

-dave

Should a handicapped passenger need it, the line will have no problem moving the OP and assigning the cabin to the one who needs it. No need to get snotty.....

-dave

Problem is... that "another" cabin might be in not so great location. It's better to change cabin prior while you still have choices than to face this problem later.

I'm sorry if my post implied it. Additionally, I'm sure that skippycruises can speak for him or herself. But it seemed from the tone of the original post that skippycruises wanted to make the switch now and avoid hassles further down the road when it might not be so easy to switch cabins with a disabled passenger. What if a person needed a handicapped room and all the cruiseline had to offer skippycruises in return at that point was a cabin he or she wouldn't be happy with?

Maybe I'm a little ultra-sensitive because my mother spent the last five years of her life confined to a wheelchair. But regardless of whether skippycruises' desire to switch stemmed from practicality or nobility, I still applaud the foresight to think of it now rather than later.

Problem is... that "another" cabin might be in not so great location. It's better to change cabin prior while you still have choices than to face this problem later.

The OP had nothing to say about the location of the cabin, just that they didn't want to end up in a "lower category". That simply doesn't happen on HAL. Should the line need to move them to make room for a handicapped passenger, they will be richly rewarded.

-dave

Maybe I'm a little ultra-sensitive

Perhaps you are, but consider that this isn't the municipal bus line with a "please save this seat for the rlderly or handicapped" sign over the front bench. It's a mid-level cruise line. Should the need arise to move the OP due to the needs of another passenger (and the handicapped passenger will always be well served on HAL), then the line will insure that the OP is well compensated for any inconvenience.

-dave

PS - remember that if the OP trades cabins now, and if no handicapped passengfers come forward, then someone else will end up with this very desirable cabin.

We're also booked in a handicapped cabin without needing it. It was one of the last staterooms available on the November 14th Oosterdam cruise.

We did get it at a great price, so we grabbed it, thinking it wasn't required by anyone handicapped, but we'd certainly exchange it if needed.

By the way, what is so 'desirable' about a handicapped room? We're in 6004.

I know it has shower only, which is acceptable.

By the way, what is so 'desirable' about a handicapped room? We're in 6004.

I know it has shower only, which is acceptable.

My brother is booked in room 6004 on the Zuiderdam. It's about 50% larger than non-handicapped VA category cabins.

On our last Zuidy we were upgraded from Cat A 7131 to Cat S 6167 which is a HCP cabin. The difference was a slightly smaller sitting area than a normal suite, only one very small narrow sink, non-jacuzzi tub and large walk-in combination toilet and shower area with one huge curtain. The whole bathroom was very poorly lighted (lit?) and had none of the luxurious feeling of the typical Cat S suite. Other than that, we still had the beautiful huge veranda, use of the Neptune and concierge and everything else that benefits an S or PS passenger. This was the last S available for an upgrade, and if I had to turn it over to a qualifying cruiser I would not have been pleased. I'm certain they would not have put us in the Penthouse.

My DH is handicapped, we were told by HAL that all special request cabins must be made at least 60 days prior to sail date, otherwise its first come first serve. We felt that was reasonable and did not request a handicap cabin, our TA thought she was doing us a favor but DH wanted to leave it for someone who was more needy than him. When we sailed that cabin was being used by someone who was not handicaped, because no others requested it.

Archived