Is San Juan Airport that bad?

We are leaving May 23rd on the AOS out of San Juan. We are concerned because we have a 12:15 flight back home. Will we be able to make that flight? We have been hearing horror stories about San Juan airport. What is the earliest time we can debark the ship? icon_rolleyes.gif

We had a 12:30 flight but ended up catching an earlier flight due to being off the ship and at the airport by 9:00 am!

Sea Ya!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;1;02;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jan. 05 Mariner of the Sea

Jan. 04 Adventure of the Sea

Jan. 02 Grand Princess

Jan. 00 Monarch of the Sea

I guess Royal Carribean must be better at disembarking than Carnival. By the time we finally got off of the ship and got to the airport, we had to wait in line at the airport for about an hour to get checked in!

Laurie

Noordam/Alaska-1996

Viking Serenade/Mexico 1998

Triumph/Canada-2002

Destiny-11/9/03

Seems that the airport is undergoing a lot of renovation now. I was there in Nov on business and we flew down on Delta. It was really difficult when we got ready to leave....lines for check in, lines for security, lines for the restaurants (very limited). But when we went on our cruise in Jan, we flew on American. When we got ready to leave, we were through the check in line in about 10 minutes and the security line in about another 15 minutes. In that terminal, they even have a decent food area...one place to get food, but a pretty good variety. Just my experience.

Carol

Enchantment of the Seas 11/01

Mercury 12/02

Serenade of the Seas 1/04

Radiance of the Seas 12/04

sun_e0.gif

You may or may not need insurance, but you don't need insurance because you have a 12:15 scheduled flight home. If you miss the 12:15 they will put you on the next available flight, which might not be for several hours, but people are late for flights all of the time. I recently traveled to San Diego and we were delayed a few hours flying in to Dallas, we missed one flight after another and finally got into San Diego 8 hours late. I certainly didn't need insurance for that, just patience. Coming home late from a cruise is not a tragedy, missing the ship sailing from the pier is a reason to buy insurance, but not missing a trip back home to work.

jc

I know of two people, two separate dates that have made 10:30 flights with no problem. They were one of the first ones off the ship. I would not be nervous about making a 12:15 flight. I would just make sure to allow plenty of time.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02

Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03

Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03

Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03

Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

We didn't find the San Juan airport that bad at all. We caught our early morning flight, I believe it was 11:30, with no problem at all. You should be just fine.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;2;7;22;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Southern Caribbean Serenade 02/07/04

This past weekend, you would have waited a minimum of 2 hours just to get checked in with Delta and an additional hour or more to get through security. It was a nightmare. Apparently the air conditioning doesn't work because it was like a concentration camp, complete with body odor that was extremely foul.

We love San Juan and have done 4 cruises out of the port, not to mention the many stays just in Puerto Rico. Only once did we ever have a problem, because we forgot about the Sunday morning arrival of several large ships. we always stay over several days, and never leave on a Sunday. Stay, enjoy the island, it's our favorite in all the Caribbean.

Archived