Advice for Barcelona Transfers

Apologies if this is redundant. I just got through reading five separate threads on Barcelona pickpockets, even in the airport. We are New Yorkers and both of the men are cops, and even at that, I am worried.:eek:

We will be flying in to Barcelona on a red-eye - we are not going to be at the pique of alertness when we arrive no matter what and we will have a ton of luggage - is it better to bite the bullet and pay a few more Euro to have the Meridian Hotel send their driver?

I have seen numerous recommendations for Angie on the CC boards and was planning on using her. I would just hate to land and get my luggage (if I get out of there with everything in tact) just on the chance we can not rely on the driver, and then stop to pick up a phone (more distractions, more risk)...

Anyone care to weigh in who has flown into Barcelona? I have been there but only arrived by ship. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Seven of us ladies went last week on a Gem cruise. Flew in and out of Barcelona. Arrived one day early and stayed one day post cruise. Never once did we feel threatened. We were warned about the pickpockets, but never saw any or encountered any problems.

Just be aware of your surroundings and keep your purse close to your body, or wear a money pouch/belt.

Seven of us ladies went last week on a Gem cruise. Flew in and out of Barcelona. Arrived one day early and stayed one day post cruise. Never once did we feel threatened. We were warned about the pickpockets, but never saw any or encountered any problems.

Just be aware of your surroundings and keep your purse close to your body, or wear a money pouch/belt.

The art of the pickpocket is not to be seen :eek:

We came back from Barcelona yesterday. Although the airport is very busy, it is perfectly safe and there are so many taxis, you do not need any special arrangements.

We just got back a couple of weeks ago.After you get your luggage, just go outside and there is a line of taxi's waiting.Most do not speak English(well the one's we encountered anyhow),so have your hotel and address written down for them to see. Also, the price on the meter is not what you pay. They will add on 2Euro for every bag you have. One even charged one woman on our cruise 2 euro for her purse!!! Just wear your purse across your body, and have the guys keep their wallets in their front pockets.I agree there is no need for special arrangements.

The cab fare from the airport to the cruise port is around €25 plus the baggage charge, so if you hotel is anywhere in the city near the port that's about what you'll be charged. That should be a LOT less than if the hotel sends a car for you. About 20% of the taxis are similar to SUV's so that's what you'll want to select from the cab line in order for all your luggage (and people) to fit in one vehicle.

BobK/Orlando

Archived