Interesting SKY question

idjaffe

I question proper seafairing tradition...

If you rename a ship do you "relaunch" it with a naming/launching ceremony?

What if you are renaming it back to its' original name?

Does it get a new Godmother? Do you ask the original Godmother to come back and do the ceremony all over again?

Have no idea why I want to know this....but I do!

:)

I question proper seafairing tradition...

If you rename a ship do you "relaunch" it with a naming/launching ceremony?

What if you are renaming it back to its' original name?

Does it get a new Godmother? Do you ask the original Godmother to come back and do the ceremony all over again?

Have no idea why I want to know this....but I do!

:)

You can do it all over again or not.

There wasn't an original godmother for the Sky, unless you wish to count the entire NCL staff.

When the Superstar Leo transfered in 2004, NCL held no christening ceremonies. What's even weirder, I can't find anyone as godmother for the Leo or as the Spirit.

Which brings up the question, who is the godmother/godfather of all NCL ships still in service today?

Dream = Diana Ross (Music Star) as the Dreamward

Majesty = Grete Waitz as the Royal Majesty. (Marathoner)

Sky = Entire NCL Staff (All NCL employees)

Star = Angela Baraquio, Miss America 2001

Sun = Brooke Burke, of Wild On E! (TV star)

Dawn = Kim Cattrall of HBO’s Sex and the City (TV Star)

Spirit = I suspect none (Can't find on web)

Pride of Aloha (ex-Sky)= Mrs. Daniel K. Inouye

Pride of America = Elaine L. Chao, Secretary of Labour

Jewel = Melania Trump (Donald Trump's wife)

Pride of Hawaii = Senator Daniel K. Inouye (D-Hawaii)

Pearl = Rosie O'Donnell (TV Star)

Gem = Cindy Cardella of Fairfield, NJ, who came out the winner among five finalists chosen by an online poll conducted by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Jade (ex-POH) = no change.

Sky (ex-POA) again = ???

You can do it all over again or not.

There wasn't an original godmother for the Sky, unless you wish to count the entire NCL staff.

When the Superstar Leo transfered in 2004, NCL held no christening ceremonies. What's even weirder, I can't find anyone as godmother for the Leo or as the Spirit.

Which brings up the question, who is the godmother/godfather of all NCL ships still in service today?

Dream = Diana Ross (Music Star) as the Dreamward

Majesty = Grete Waitz as the Royal Majesty. (Marathoner)

Sky = Entire NCL Staff (All NCL employees)

Star = Angela Baraquio, Miss America 2001

Sun = Brooke Burke, of Wild On E! (TV star)

Dawn = Kim Cattrall of HBO’s Sex and the City (TV Star)

Spirit = I suspect none (Can't find on web)

Pride of Aloha (ex-Sky)= Mrs. Daniel K. Inouye

Pride of America = Elaine L. Chao, Secretary of Labour

Jewel = Melania Trump (Donald Trump's wife)

Pride of Hawaii = Senator Daniel K. Inouye (D-Hawaii)

Pearl = Rosie O'Donnell (TV Star)

Gem = Cindy Cardella of Fairfield, NJ, who came out the winner among five finalists chosen by an online poll conducted by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Jade (ex-POH) = no change.

Sky (ex-POA) again = ???

Where is the "Superstar Leo" now? I want to cruise her!

But is it proper to do a "renaming".

I read somewhere that it is unlucky to rename a ship......

But that seems like just an old superstition....

It used to be "taboo" to have women aboard as well ... but we know what happened there. :D

I've heard this before - which I suppose if you believe in those things may bother you, but what the heck it's the 21st Century - go for it.

But is it proper to do a "renaming".

I read somewhere that it is unlucky to rename a ship......

But that seems like just an old superstition....

Ships have been renamed throughout history. If it wasn't appropriate, it's been inappropriate forever.

Here's the precautions to take:

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

NCL is taking risks, as aboard the Norwegian Spirit there's a print in every Inside cabin with Leo on the lifesaver ring. :eek:

Spirit.Inside%20Stateroom.jpg

Let's look at NCL history...

When the Sky became the Pride of Aloha in 2004, they had a renaming & reflagging ceremony in San Francisco. (I know, I watched the video of it cause I sailed on her from San Fran to Hawaii and they showed that thing over and over for 12 days!) Then when she reached Honolulu, they had another ceremony on July 4 to christen her. (I know, because I read about it in Honolulu's paper.)

When the Pride of Hawaii became the Jade, I believe that they had a short reflagging, re naming ceremony in either Honolulu or Las Angeles before she headed to Miami. Nothing special, just a short ceremony. There was not a rechristening ceremony after her wetdock in Miami.

I suspect the same thing with the POA/Sky. They will simply do a renaming and reflagging ceremony on board with little fanfare. Mrs. Innoye has passed away, so it is possible that they will select a new Godmother.

Of course, NCL may just prefer to keep the reflagging of the POA as a low key event since it basically represents a failure for them in Hawaii.

Just took our son to the airport this AM - he will board the Sky later today as it sits in wet dock in Freeport, Bahamas. He is an ASM (Assistant Systems Manager = computer guy) and will be on the ship until Dec. 1. Right now the crew is getting the ship ready for sailing in July.

• 3 weeks later...
Just took our son to the airport this AM - he will board the Sky later today as it sits in wet dock in Freeport, Bahamas. He is an ASM (Assistant Systems Manager = computer guy) and will be on the ship until Dec. 1. Right now the crew is getting the ship ready for sailing in July.

Does your son have any updates or tidbits of info you could pass along to those of us looking for Sky info? If he's even allowed to talk about it, that is. Wouldn't want to get him in trouble. We're really looking forward to trying NCL. Any info is much appreciated!

Archived