Venice to Bellagio

We will be travelling post cruise from Venice to Bellagio and I am asking for assistance regarding the easiest way to do this. I have been looking at websites and remain confused as the best way. I have to admit were nervous about getting lost and prefer the simplest route. Thank you so much in advance. This is our first cruise and our first time out of North America. The rest of our trip is planned thanks to all your expert advice.

DGK

We will also be travellimg from Venice to Bellagio post cruise. I have been to Bellagio before from Milan Central Station and train to Como and then Ferry ( 2 hours) or Hydrofoil to Bellagio. This time we will be taking the quickest route i.e train from Santa Lucia Station, Venice to Milan Central ( one leaves at 10.51, http://www.trenitalia.com ) then change trains at Milan Central for Varenna. The destination will be Esino, but you get off at Varenna. Bellagio is opposite Varenna on Lake Como. You then walk down the hill from Varenna station (5 mins. ) and catch the ferry to Bellagio (10-15mins)

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc.html

The Venice/Milan/Varenna/Bellagio option should take approx 5 hours. The Venice/Milan/Como/Bellagio option should take about 7 hours allowing for train changes etc. less if you catch the Hydrofoil. It is quite a walk from the Como station to the ferries so really the Varenna option is the easiest with luggage, although you don't have the wonderful ferry ride from Como to Bellagio. Save that for the next day.

Hi DGK. We are traveling in the opposite direction, arriving into Venice from Como and Dowunder is correct on trains/ hydrofoils. One tip- we had planned to arrive via train from Como July 7th to catch our cruise ship. One of our fellow cruisers had posted info regarding upcoming 'scheduled' Italian train strikes. We will be arriving in Venice on the 6th now to ensure we can get there since the current schedule shows there will be a strike on July 7th. Check out post from Alan2054 on Holland America/ Roll Calls/ Zuiderdam 7/7/08 sailing. He was kind enough to post the Italian version and instructions in English for reading the pages. Have a great trip!

Thank you both so much for your great suggestions. Did either of you consider taking the train to Lake Como and then a bus or taxi to Bellagio or reverse for yourself Destin Mom ? Any idea what a taxi would cost? Do you purchase train tickets prior? You are most correct Down Under Yes we prefer to train instead of renting a car.

You have both been extremely helpful.

Thanks,

DGK

When you see the beauty of Lake Como I am sure you will want to take the ferry. Both taxi and bus are options and I suggest you post on Trip Advisor Bellagio Forum or Trip Advisor Lake Como Forum and I am sure you will get the details.

Also there is another train service that runs from downtown Milan to Como with the station very close to the ferry terminal, but travelling from Venice it would mean having to transfer to the Metro at Milano Centrale then the Como train and to me this is not as easy as walking from one platform to the other. So you have may ways of reaching Bellagio.

Thank you so much for the great advice. I think we are going to take the quickest route there and enjoy the scenic boat trip from Bellagio to Como on the return as we will have more time to Milan airport. Do you purchase your train tickets prior or the morning of?

This is a return trip for you Down Under and being our first time what would you recommend as a “ Must See “ or “Must Do “ in Bellagio ?

Have a wonderful and safe trip !

DGK

Hi DGK. Agree...take the boat. The scenery is absolutely beautiful and worth every minute of the trip. We stayed in Bellagio on our last vist and will stay in Fiumelatte this year (it is just outside of Varenna). We stayed at Hotel du Lac in Bellagio and loved walking around, dining at the cafes, touring the surrounding areas. We hiked several days into Switzerland and the scenery was fantastic (note, take water as the 'towns' on the local maps were two or three houses with no stores or restrooms. most probably know this, but we did not at the time!) The local train from Milan into Varenna can be purchased at the trenitalia site 15 days out from date of travel. Local trains cannot be bought as far in advance as the higher speed trains. We'll be in Como in three weeks so if you have any specific questions we can help you with, please let me know! Have a great trip!

Archived