Carnival Miracle questions

bmb

According to Travel/Leisure Magazine the following are the friendliest cities in America... Hmmm what state is missing?

http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2007/category/1/subcategory/3Friendly

RankScoreCity

14.65Charleston

24.57New Orleans

34.56Minneapolis/St. Paul

44.55Nashville

54.52Austin

64.46Portland, Oregon

74.44Honolulu

84.42San Antonio

94.27Santa Fe

104.27Denver

114.25Seattle

124.20Chicago

134.19San Diego

144.10San Francisco

154.05Atlanta

164.03Orlando

173.97Dallas/Fort Worth

183.84Phoenix/Scottsdale

193.79LasVegas

203.65Philadelphia

213.63Boston

223.52Miami

233.51Washington, D.C.

243.51New York

253.30Los Angeles

Leaving Wednesday....myself being a Baltimoron (lol) I'll take my northern neighbors the Ny/ NJ ers' anytime... As long as people aren't abusive I'm ok. I love watching others have a good time. It's the funship !

I've heard equal complaints about the gray haired. Come to think of it, I've heard the same complaints from people about their relatives during the holidays :p

Hey mon' I'm on island time the minute I board....

Ohhh I read your posts....you had mentioned that maybe "NYC residents posibbly aren't your cup of tea"

If you're not generalizing, why even mention the "rude people from NYC"....just say that you encountered "Rude people". and I'm not jumping all over you. I'm just calling it as I see it. ;) Like I said, you can encounter rude people from anywhere in this world. Not only from one area. Yes, you didn't like the "LOCALS". I bet if you went on a cruise out of Florida or Texas or California, you probably would find a few rude people from there.

With regard to accents....I have news for you....we ALL have accents. NYC people have accents, people from Virginia and the South have accents, people from New England have accents, Texans have accents. We all have accents.

And I am very nice....You don't know me or know anything about me. Just because I said what I said, doesn't mean I'm not nice.

Just don't put location tags on rude people because they are all over the world. ;)

I know Sandi and can vouch for her being a nice person and yes, we do all have accents. And my DH was a born, raised, lived NY'er all his life until the last 5 years and he's a nice person who loves to cruise.

Wow. I don't even know what to say. This will be my last post, because obviously, you don't even vaguely care to answer my question.

But to all the people "defending" Sandi from horrible mean me---actually go back and READ my posts. The only remark I made related to her was that I didn't appreciate her jumping all over me for merely stating my opinion, and that it didn't exactly help her claim that NYers are caring folks. That's it. That's what prodded ALL of you to come on this thread and make derogatory comments about me?

Again. For the 80-freaking-billionth time. The LOCALS on MY cruise out of NYC were a pain in the butt. I tried to pre-emptively stop the "How the heck did you know they were locals?" questions by telling you guys that the worst offenders had local accents. That's all. That was my entire point. I stated that I hoped the local cruising population wasn't always like that. I stated that I KNEW people from the NYC-area who I liked very much. I stated that I've spent time in the area, and I liked the people I met. AGAIN - MY COMPLAINT WAS ONLY AGAINST THE LOCAL-AREA CRUISERS ON *MY* CRUISE. And so I asked CC whether anyone else had problems with the locals on their NYC cruises.

All I wanted was for people to prove me wrong. I asked again and again for someone to tell me it was just a random event that we ended up with so many poorly mannered locals. Again, remember that my fellow cruisers onboard said they'd never seen anything like it from any other port. I was left wondering if it was only NYC. So.....all I wanted to hear was: "No, Figs, it's great! I loved my cruise on the Miracle, we didn't have any of the problems you described! You must have caught a bad sailing!" Some of you were kind enough to actually say something like that. Thank you guys!

But then the firestorm of NYC-area/Sandi defenders showed up and ruined a perfectly good thread. You guys ignored everything I said, and decided I was a horrible human being, and posted some pretty sad things to try to make me feel bad. You failed to act like grown adults. Read over your commentary, then read my responses. You flamed the crap outta me for a simple question. Or are you trying to claim that EVERYONE from NYC is a perfect person, and I could not POSSIBLY had a bad group on my sailing? Or are you claiming that no one could POSSIBLY recognize NY/NJ accents? Either way, I'm tired of being called a liar, ignorant, prejudiced, a stereotyper. Unbelieveable.

Wow. I don't even know what to say. This will be my last post, because obviously, you don't even vaguely care to answer my question.

But to all the people "defending" Sandi from horrible mean me---actually go back and READ my posts. The only remark I made related to her was that I didn't appreciate her jumping all over me for merely stating my opinion, and that it didn't exactly help her claim that NYers are caring folks. That's it. That's what prodded ALL of you to come on this thread and make derogatory comments about me?

Again. For the 80-freaking-billionth time. The LOCALS on MY cruise out of NYC were a pain in the butt. I tried to pre-emptively stop the "How the heck did you know they were locals?" questions by telling you guys that the worst offenders had local accents. That's all. That was my entire point. I stated that I hoped the local cruising population wasn't always like that. I stated that I KNEW people from the NYC-area who I liked very much. I stated that I've spent time in the area, and I liked the people I met. AGAIN - MY COMPLAINT WAS ONLY AGAINST THE LOCAL-AREA CRUISERS ON *MY* CRUISE. And so I asked CC whether anyone else had problems with the locals on their NYC cruises.

All I wanted was for people to prove me wrong. I asked again and again for someone to tell me it was just a random event that we ended up with so many poorly mannered locals. Again, remember that my fellow cruisers onboard said they'd never seen anything like it from any other port. I was left wondering if it was only NYC. So.....all I wanted to hear was: "No, Figs, it's great! I loved my cruise on the Miracle, we didn't have any of the problems you described! You must have caught a bad sailing!" Some of you were kind enough to actually say something like that. Thank you guys!

But then the firestorm of NYC-area/Sandi defenders showed up and ruined a perfectly good thread. You guys ignored everything I said, and decided I was a horrible human being, and posted some pretty sad things to try to make me feel bad. You failed to act like grown adults. Read over your commentary, then read my responses. You flamed the crap outta me for a simple question. Or are you trying to claim that EVERYONE from NYC is a perfect person, and I could not POSSIBLY had a bad group on my sailing? Or are you claiming that no one could POSSIBLY recognize NY/NJ accents? Either way, I'm tired of being called a liar, ignorant, prejudiced, a stereotyper. Unbelieveable.

I suggest you go back and re-read your posts and mine.. You vascilated between questioning and accusing and stereotyping... As far as Sandi not helping her own claim-if you know anything about this message board, when someone posts a ":D " as Sandi did, they are not 'jumping' all over you.. Your own words were used against you -no one elses.

If you witnessed all these terrible 'semi' violent actions by NYC LOCALS (because you can tell us from the rest of the population) - your own opinion on sailing out of NYC should be good enough for you to make your decision and have the conviction to stick with it. After all -us bad intimidating LOCALS (you can tell by the accents...Spanish being one of them-) will sail again out of NYC..its a quick easy train ride ..:p

So since you are never coming back to this thread then you will not even be reading this...:rolleyes: but hopefully you are never sailing out of NYC because I for one would not want to sail with someone as prejudiced as you.

I loved the Miracle---it was my first cruise ship. Clean, well-built, pretty. The staff was wonderful. Food was great, our balcony was my favorite place to relax.

However, be sure you can handle the NYC/Jerseyites. I'm a northern Virginia girl----I was NOT prepared for the yelling, screaming, complaining, rude, semi-violent passengers. I have friends in NYC who I love dearly, so I'm not saying the whole state and all of NJ are the same---but we either had really, really bad luck in the group we happened to sail with, or NYC-area passengers aren't exactly my cup of tea. And before someone questions how I could know where they were from----accents, my friends, accents! Clearly NY/NJ born-and-raised people, with some Philly kids thrown in for good measure.

If you're from the area, obviously, you'll be OK. But, on my sailing at least, I found the ship to be filled with "the stereotypical angry NYers". I'm hoping someone else can come on and let us know the Miracle out of NYC isn't ALWAYS that bad----it's a nice close train ride for me, I'd like to keep my options open.

This is what you said in your first post.

And I never jumped all over you. Go back and read my posts. I said that I disagreed with you and that NYers aren't all like that and that you can get rude people from ANYWHERE in the world. They come from everywhere in this country and this world. So if you go on a cruise out of Florida or California and see a bunch of "locals" that are rude are you going to post the same thing? You were singling out NY people. All you had to say was that you encountered "rude" people....not rude NYC people. That is why we all got so annoyed. Just remember, it's not what you say, but how you say it ;) ....and in this case, I guess how you write it.

I don't know, Figs.

When you generalize, based on an accent, you are going to get some very upset people from that regional area.

Just like I am sure you would jump on others if they went on a cruise out of Mobile Alabama and complained about the rude folks with southern accents. Your mistake was the fact that you pointed out the accents. It is just as bad as saying those rude black people. Or those rude jews. You're generalizing based on something you perceive as being true, which may or may not be the case.

I do think you ran into trouble on your cruise. I don't think anyone here were saying that you didn't. But your reactions on this thread make me wonder if perhaps some of the problems weren't a result on your own personifications on how folks who speak with a particular accent act.

BTW. Born in NJ. Have been living on Long Island most of my adult life. I have no NY accent and have been told I sound like I am from the midwest. I am a proud NYer.

Thank you, and goodnight.

I will defend some of what you said... as rude people in NY and NJ do exist

You do however have to realize you did generalize your statements grouping this area as having accents and bad behavior

I thought I would not comment but it was getting really funny how people have such thin skins and now you will be shunned to not post here again

THE FLAMETHROWERS ARE ON!!!

In regards to everyone bashing the living crap out of this poor poster shame on you...I have come to post fewer and fewer posts due to the consistant lack of people ignoring a persons lack of good judgement.

As a born and raised current resident of the state of NY I am defending this poster for making a mistake and I do forgive them.

That is what a True NEWYORKER should do

bash away

I will defend some of what you said... as rude people in NY and NJ do exist

You do however have to realize you did generalize your statements grouping this area as having accents and bad behavior

I thought I would not comment but it was getting really funny how people have such thin skins and now you will be shunned to not post here again

THE FLAMETHROWERS ARE ON!!!

In regards to everyone bashing the living crap out of this poor poster shame on you...I have come to post fewer and fewer posts due to the consistant lack of people ignoring a persons lack of good judgement.

As a born and raised current resident of the state of NY I am defending this poster for making a mistake and I do forgive them.

That is what a True NEWYORKER should do

bash away

I am not going to bash you. Did you read all the posts from Figs and from the rest of us? I can't speak for anyone else, I can only speak for myself.

This is what Figs originally said.

"I loved the Miracle---it was my first cruise ship. Clean, well-built, pretty. The staff was wonderful. Food was great, our balcony was my favorite place to relax.

However, be sure you can handle the NYC/Jerseyites. I'm a northern Virginia girl----I was NOT prepared for the yelling, screaming, complaining, rude, semi-violent passengers. I have friends in NYC who I love dearly, so I'm not saying the whole state and all of NJ are the same---but we either had really, really bad luck in the group we happened to sail with, or NYC-area passengers aren't exactly my cup of tea. And before someone questions how I could know where they were from----accents, my friends, accents! Clearly NY/NJ born-and-raised people, with some Philly kids thrown in for good measure.

If you're from the area, obviously, you'll be OK. But, on my sailing at least, I found the ship to be filled with "the stereotypical angry NYers". I'm hoping someone else can come on and let us know the Miracle out of NYC isn't ALWAYS that bad----it's a nice close train ride for me, I'd like to keep my options open."

And this was my response to her.

"I totally disagree with you. I am a native NYer and I am not what "YOU Describe". Yes, NYers can be like that but so can people from any other place in the world. I really think you are stereotyping. Not every NYer is angry....maybe the ones you met on your cruise were angry, but I can honestly say, not all of us are like that. I have travelled a lot and I have met good and bad all over. So please don't group us as "angry Nyers". :rolleyes: Your a Virginia girl....I'm sure there are some bad stereotype remarks from there.....should I find them and post them on here? ;)

I sailed the Miracle last year and everyone was happy and friendly and most were from the NY/NJ area. ;)

You can have bad people on any cruise from any area in this world, so just remember it. Please leave my people alone. :D"

As you can see from my post, I was not bashing. I said I disagreed with her. Nothing wrong with that. I also mentioned that you can have rude people all over the world and not just in NY. I think you are confusing disagreeing with bashing. But what I did say to her in another post is that all she had to say was that she enountered "rude people", not "rude NYC people". That is why we all got so upset. The way the world is today, she is going to find rude and nasty people no matter if she travels by cruise or goes on a land vacation. This is just the way of the world now. Figs was definitely stereotyping and you really should go back and re-read her posts.

Figs: What sailing date were you on the Miracle?

I was on recently, and I know Trock was on recently, as was MonaCK. I witnessed no rude behavior by any New York-accented people on my cruise. Not only that, but I've cruised out of NYC 14 times & can honestly say I've never encountered a rude group. Perhaps if you let us know your sailing date there will be another CC'r who can attest, or not.

I pretty much agree that you can expect a heightened response from a group when they're unfairly attacked. And it's been my experience that New Yorkers are among the most caring & nicest people in the world.

Geez, guys, chill! The temperature here in Philly dropped significantly this morning so maybe tempers could too. It's not a big deal. Let everyone have their say, take it all with several large grains of salt and move on. Cruising is supposed to be relaxing, eh?:D LOL:D

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" — Voltaire

Figs: What sailing date were you on the Miracle?

I was on recently, and I know Trock was on recently, as was MonaCK. I witnessed no rude behavior by any New York-accented people on my cruise. Not only that, but I've cruised out of NYC 14 times & can honestly say I've never encountered a rude group. Perhaps if you let us know your sailing date there will be another CC'r who can attest, or not.

I pretty much agree that you can expect a heightened response from a group when they're unfairly attacked. And it's been my experience that New Yorkers are among the most caring & nicest people in the world.

HEY!

Neither did I.!!.. (at least not until we were trying to disembark and everyone was frustrated because it was the day the Dawn crashed into the pier).

On Victory in July 2007 .. there were some rude passengers.. but none of them were from NYC :rolleyes: NONE! I can tell... LOL

As I said previously.. I do not doubt Figs for one minute of her experiences... What I doubt is they were all *Locals*... ***SIGH***....

The Miracle of May 8 Was an amazing group of people! The vibe was just right! ...and they were from all over the world! :D

The Carnival booking was located near where we met for debarkation. Each time I walked by the desk which was where they sold Carnival cards, no one was available. I remember that is where I talked to one about a new cruise when we were on Miracle in Dec. It was across the coffee place.

That's interesting since the Purser didn't know anything about it. Oh, well. It's too late to do anything now.

• 2 weeks later...
We did this excursion in St. Thomas just last week and loved it. :D I don't take many excursions but this I'm glad I did. They drive you across the ocean passing beautiful homes of stars, Madonna, Micheal Jackson, etc., and give you a small bus ride to the beach where beautiful pictures are taken. I snorkeled about 1hr 1/2 in deeper waters and the give life jackets if needed. There were many beautiful sizes of colorful fish and corals. This excursion is worth $69 for 4hours.

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?portcode=STT&excursionname=St.+John+Trunk+Bay+Beach+%26+Snorkel&excursioncode=434016

If you have other questions I'd be glad to help. This was my 3rd time on Miracle and is about my favorite ship of the 30 Carnival I've sailed. It's beautiful and very clean. I loved the dining room with a ceiling full of purple grapes. The food was really good and you have many things to try. I loved the deli on Lido and cappucino pie and taramisu for dessert. You'll love your cruise and I wish I was going again.:)

Cassandra

hello i sthe excursion ok for children 9 and 13 and also how about the other places you seen what would you recommends

hello i sthe excursion ok for children 9 and 13 and also how about the other places you seen what would you recommends

If you're asking about the Trunk Bay excursion on St John, yes it is okay for children 9 and 13. It's a beautiful beach and there didn't seem to be too many waves. You can snorkel, but don't have to. I think the kids would like it very much. The ferry ride does take 45 minutes each way, but it's a nice boat ride.

Archived