Cagneys Steak House Menu

http://www.cruisingreview.com/6204041901.html. I don't know how up to date it is, but the Cagney's menu looks pretty much the same as it was in April.

Thank you DaveJohn, Awesome it has all the restaurants. If I go there, whats the deal? I can only order one entree or if I wanted surf and turf can I order a lobster and steak ??

Thanks again,

Kevin

I ate at Cagney's on Pearl (6/1-6/8). Below is an excerpt from my full review of The Pearl. I recommend you spend the $$ elsewhere other than Cagney's.

DINING:

We dined in the regular dining room, buffet and some of the specialty restaurants. Below is a synopsis of each. For the most part, the food was average, at best.

Making a reservation in a specialty restaurant was a breeze and the times we wanted (usually around 7pm) were generally available. They had three places you could go to make the reservation and they would allow reservations a day in advance. You also had the option of dialing 050 and making a reservation via telephone.

Buffet (Garden Cafe): Disappointing. Mass-produced, cafeteria style and no variety. Pretty much the same offerings every day. Breakfasts- Cereals (they ran out of milk cartons by day 3), eggs, bacon, the usuals. Lunches- Burgers & Hot Dogs, Salad, Pasta Bar, Asian Station, and a carved meat. Did not dine in the buffet for dinner.

Cagneys Steakhouse: Absolutely disappointing. For the amount of the up-charge, and previous descriptions of Cagney's, I was expecting a much better product. Maybe I am biased being from NYC and having dined in many of the top steakhouses here, but the quality of the meat in Cagneys was more like the old Ponderosa or Sizzler. I have had better steaks at Outback and Longhorn (both of which I happen to enjoy). The shrimp cocktail was not good- the shrimp were soft and not chilled. My wife ordered the Alaskan King Crab Legs and again, not to exaggerate, that was Red Lobster quality. After complaining about my T-Bone, I tried the prime rib (hand carved at your table) and that too was disappointing (tastless and dry). All in all, save your money and skip Cagneys.

Mambos (Mexican): This was some of the best food on the ship. We ate there twice. This is a specialty restaurant (at no charge). When you sit down, you are given a large bowl of chips and salsa. I ordered the Black Bean Soup and Steak Fajitas. Both very tasty. Avoid the ribs. Saucy and fatty. My wife enjoyed the Quesadillas.

Lotus Garden (Chinese): I would rate this specialty restaurant fair at best (although the staff at this restaurant was excellent). The food tasted like a cheap version of P.F. Chang's (which to me is not great chinese food to begin with). The spring rolls were very good. The orange flavored beef and spare ribs you could pass on. Very saucy and cheap beef. I recommend the chow fun noodles over the fried rice.

Summer Palace & Indigo (Traditional Cruise Dining): Beautiful, large venue. Check each morning for the night's dinner selection. Meals vary by day and were hit and miss. I did enjoy the pork loin and skirt steak though. My wife was not thrilled with the chicken.

Blue Lagoon (24 Hr. Coffee Shop): Here you could get your comfort food 24/7. Mac & Cheese, Burgers, Soup, etc. Avoid the meat loaf. It was awful. The burger was fair as was the wonton soup.

Exactly why I skip food in reviews. Totally subjective. I ate in Cagney's 4 times last cruise. Great double shrimp cocktails, Fresh lobster, excellent veal & lamb chops, and a great filet. You could not get me to go back to Mombos even if they were giving out free drinks..

The menus have changed since then. I have Dawn menus and more recent Gem menus in the webshots link below. The Gem menus are the latest I have from April of this year, but I believe the menus are the same for the entire fleet.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563181544LDEscy

MMMmmmmmmm, canapes, goodies and other food.:D

Thanks for sharing the pics.

davejohn..."The Sommelier's Wine Pairing Recommendation". Is there an actual sommelier in Cagneys?

I didn't see anyone walking around with that little cup around their neck. Our waiter made some wine recommendations.

The menus have changed since then. I have Dawn menus and more recent Gem menus in the webshots link below. The Gem menus are the latest I have from April of this year, but I believe the menus are the same for the entire fleet.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563181544LDEscy

Even those menus are somewhat outdated for the Dawn. We just sailed to Bermuda on 6/1.

As part of the 2.0 initiatives, there is also Surf & Turf. But even better in our opinion is King Crab Legs. It was a generous serving and they were completely cracked open too; no injuries enjoying that delicious Crab!

I wish I'd gotten snapshots of the specialty restaurant menus to show you!

I ate at Cagney's on Pearl (6/1-6/8). Below is an excerpt from my full review of The Pearl. I recommend you spend the $$ elsewhere other than Cagney's.

Cagneys Steakhouse: Absolutely disappointing. For the amount of the up-charge, and previous descriptions of Cagney's, I was expecting a much better product. Maybe I am biased being from NYC and having dined in many of the top steakhouses here, but the quality of the meat in Cagneys was more like the old Ponderosa or Sizzler. I have had better steaks at Outback and Longhorn (both of which I happen to enjoy). The shrimp cocktail was not good- the shrimp were soft and not chilled. My wife ordered the Alaskan King Crab Legs and again, not to exaggerate, that was Red Lobster quality. After complaining about my T-Bone, I tried the prime rib (hand carved at your table) and that too was disappointing (tastless and dry). All in all, save your money and skip Cagneys.

I know food is subjective, but there's no way Cagney's could be rated as a bad meal! The shrimp cocktail was outstanding; huge, firm, perfectly chilled shrimp. And being that hubby and I consider ourselves connoisseurs of King Crab, your statement couldn't be further from the truth! The only downfall to us was not being able to crack our own, because we like the crab meat in one solid, delectable piece. However, being cracked open was definitely far easier to consume.

I know food is subjective, but there's no way Cagney's could be rated as a bad meal! The shrimp cocktail was outstanding; huge, firm, perfectly chilled shrimp. And being that hubby and I consider ourselves connoisseurs of King Crab, your statement couldn't be further from the truth! The only downfall to us was not being able to crack our own, because we like the crab meat in one solid, delectable piece. However, being cracked open was definitely far easier to consume.

I agree, and we (like NYFL) are also from the Metropolitan area.

NYFL-TRAVELER claims he/she can compare Cagney's to NYC but he/she dined in Outback & Longhorn...when he dined in NYC with all the great steakhouses in NYC:confused:

I would NEVER go to Outback or Longhorn for a steak dinner in any city:eek:

Who would dine in Outback & Longhorn..what do you think the quality of beef is there:confused:

Who "dines" in Red Lobster?

I'm NOT a connoisseur of beef or fish BUT..I do know my cuts of meat and I do know my fish and I would never dine in Outback, Longhorn or Red Lobster..I would cook my own at home first:eek:

We have never been disappointed at Cagney's on the Dawn, Jewel or Gem:)

You are so right...food is subjective!

Thanks for all your imput. I really like the idea of King Crab lets too. I never had them before. I had snow crab but I am not that crazy over it. I always wanted to try the King Crab. Maybe exactly two weeks from today, I will be in Cagneys eating crab legs and toasting you all !

Kevin

Thanks for all your imput. I really like the idea of King Crab lets too. I never had them before. I had snow crab but I am not that crazy over it. I always wanted to try the King Crab. Maybe exactly two weeks from today, I will be in Cagneys eating crab legs and toasting you all !

Kevin

Enjoy - I will be in Cagney's on the Jade in two weeks and 5 hours for a traditional sailaway dinner with 10 others. No crab legs foe me :D

In all fairness, food being subjective and all, everyone has to remember that a bad meal can take place - Cagneys is usually very good - but we did have a meal not up to their normal standards on the Jade in March of this year. Well, at least my TBone was tough, could be because they had to recook it (always a bad thing) but it arrived rare and I prefer medium-well (which was what I asked for) The rest of the meal was very good as well as DH steak - cooked to perfection. The restaurant was anything but busy at the time, so who knows. Doesn't really matter - it was edible, just not what we've come to expect from Cagneys. One of our fellow cruisers did not care for their TBone either - so, it's possible - just not a normal occurance.

NYFL-TRAVELER claims he/she can compare Cagney's to NYC but he/she dined in Outback & Longhorn...when he dined in NYC with all the great steakhouses in NYC:confused:

Who would dine in Outback & Longhorn..what do you think the quality of beef is there:confused:

I'm NOT a connoisseur of beef or fish BUT..I do know my cuts of meat and I do know my fish and I would never dine in Outback, Longhorn or Red Lobster..I would cook my own at home first:eek:

That is not what I said.

In NYC I would not eat at Outback, of course. But in other places that is what may be available. I do agree with you about dining in the Red Lobster and do not eat there either. It was more of a comparison.

My point was that we were quite disappointed with the quality of Cagney's food......... that is all. We are entitled to that opinion, aren't we?

That is not what I said.

In NYC I would not eat at Outback, of course. But in other places that is what may be available. I do agree with you about dining in the Red Lobster and do not eat there either. It was more of a comparison.

My point was that we were quite disappointed with the quality of Cagney's food......... that is all. We are entitled to that opinion, aren't we?

That is not what I said.

Yes you certainly are. I have no doubt your meal did not meet your expectations. If we are looking for dry aged prime beef cooked over coals or open flame it just is not going to happen at sea.

We are talking about frozen choice Angus beef cooked on an electric grill. I have had more then 50 meals in Cagney's. Have I gotten a tough piece of meat ? Yes. Have I gotten an over cooked steak ? Yes. Did they replace them quickly with a smile ? you bet.

Had any of those couple of dinners been my only experience at Cagney's my comments would be totally in line with yours. The fact is I have had dozens of meals that have been truely outstanding and compare to the best meals I have had on land for service and quality and I did not have to by $10 for a side of vegetables or a potato or $15 for dessert or $55 for my steak. Granted it is not Ruth Chris or Peter Luger but they can not touch Cagney's fries with truffle oil ;)

For me just getting out of the giant dining hall main resturant and the level of service is worth the surcharge. Very good food the added bonus.

The food tasted like a cheap version of P.F. Chang's (which to me is not great chinese food to begin with).

Maybe I don't know good Chinese food... but I have had a lot of it at a lot of different places, and P.F. Chang's rates way on up there with the best. The only reason we don't eat there more often is because they are expensive. Why Pay $20 for a dish on a real china plate when you can get the same thing at a take out place for $6.95?

Now, someone who lives in a large city and goes out to eat for a nice dinner every week will probably have a very different attitude than most of us who usually cook 7 dinners a week. I would not think even the best food on a cruise ship would be as good as the best restaurants on land, but does anyone go on a cruise to get the best food? I think food is incidental to the travel experience - a "nice to have" thing but not the reason we cruise.

I love it when people make comparisons!! I may or may not agree with their personal taste, but when a comparison is made, at least I can use it to guage how I might feel about the fare. I absolutely agree with Salty Dingo about P.F.Chang's; I like it so much that I make a point of eating at one whenever I get the chance. (we don't have them anywhere near us) I rate their kung pao scallops in my top five of all the dishes I've ever eaten in restaurants! With that in mind, I fully expect to love the asian restaurant on the Pearl as much as I did the one on the Star!! :)

Salty Dingo also brings up a good point about expectations - a person's 'regular' food habits are going to affect how they perceive the food choices, quality, and presentation when they dine out or on a cruise. To me, I think one of the fun things about cruising is the variety of food available that I don't usually get to try at home. I prepare almost all the food that I and my family consume, so of course just having someone else do the cooking and cleaning is already a bonus!! Add to that foods that I just don't have access to, or time to prepare, or that I can't or don't want to make, and it's even better. As I said, I like to see comparisons because they give me a guage, but on the other hand, I have never in any restaurant (including Ruths Chris and some other very highly rated establishments) had a steak that compares to the ones I prepare myself. :) Again, having someone else do the prep and cleanup goes a LOOOOONG way!!!

Archived