Just Scored A Price Drop On The Solstice Inaugural

ChevyCruiser

I booked the original December 14th inaugural sailing last Spring while on-board the Mercury, and the cruise was almost full at that point. Over the weeks since, I watched the class of cabin that I booked go up over $700.00 pp more than what I had reserved, so I felt pretty good. Then I get a message on my home phone that the date had been changed to November 23rd. After several days of juggling other reservations and family plans, we rebooked to the November 23rd sailing to stay with the inaugural cruise - which was the big deal to start with.

Yesterday I checked the price of the November 23rd sailing, after it had been opened up to the public, and found that the cabin class I had booked was now $400.00 pp less - so I grabbed the phone and called Celebrity.

Long story short, I moved from a balcony cabin near the front of the ship, to a Sunset View cabin on the back of the ship - my favorite location - at $280 pp less than what I originally booked!

Bookmarking your cruises and checking the prices almost every day does pay off!;)

ChevyCruiser:

That's great news for you! Glad it worked out. You are smart to regularly check for price changes.

However, those of us who booked the 12/14 inaugural when it first became available, and who could not change our plans, will no longer be on an inaugural cruise and have paid a premium for what is now a non-premium sailing. X hasn't adjusted prices for the 12/14 sailing, so we don't have the benefit of lower prices (prices on the 11/23 sailing - the new inaugural - are currently priced LESS than the current prices for the 12/14 sailing!) or the ability to move up to better cabins without paying a significant penalty (moving up from my CC2 cabin to a AQ cabin would cost me $800.00 pp).

Its good to hear that X is rewarding people who booked the 12/14 cruise 6 months after it became available while at the same time is offering those of us loyal X customers who booked it when it first became available nothing. No price breaks, no obc's, no upgrades.

Excuse my rant, I am happy the OP got a great deal and hope he enjoys his cruise. I just continue to be frustrated at X's poor, poor handling of this issue.

I booked the original December 14th inaugural sailing last Spring while on-board the Mercury, and the cruise was almost full at that point. Over the weeks since, I watched the class of cabin that I booked go up over $700.00 pp more than what I had reserved, so I felt pretty good. Then I get a message on my home phone that the date had been changed to November 23rd. After several days of juggling other reservations and family plans, we rebooked to the November 23rd sailing to stay with the inaugural cruise - which was the big deal to start with.

Yesterday I checked the price of the November 23rd sailing, after it had been opened up to the public, and found that the cabin class I had booked was now $400.00 pp less - so I grabbed the phone and called Celebrity.

Long story short, I moved from a balcony cabin near the front of the ship, to a Sunset View cabin on the back of the ship - my favorite location - at $280 pp less than what I originally booked!

Bookmarking your cruises and checking the prices almost every day does pay off!;)

Prices for 11/23 solstice are most likely dropping because it is the most expensive time of the year to fly. (Thanksgiving)

I was pretty excited about a 11/23 price until I priced the air.:eek:

ChevyCruiser, we booked the Solstice last June, the first day it was opened for booking. Now, if I can get some $$ back or an upgrade because of your sleuthing, I owe you a drink! You might be my new best friend! I'll let you know.

ChevyCruiser, we booked the Solstice last June, the first day it was opened for booking. Now, if I can get some $$ back or an upgrade because of your sleuthing, I owe you a drink! You might be my new best friend! I'll let you know.

I'll take that drink....look for me at the Cruise Critic meet and mingle! :)

Let us know how it works out for you.

Hi Jt !

I also booked the Solstice Inuagural on the first day. From what I can see, today's prices (even with a price reduction) are higher than the first day pricing. While you may not get a price reduction yet, those who booked early did well. I always recommend to keep checking for price changes.

I hope you will visit the roll call for the Solstice Inaugural here : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=784393 . I look forward to meeting you, and everyone on the Inaugural !

Yes, Andy, I found the same. It looks like I got a good deal on day one. Prices are going up and up every day now. That's ok, I'm still going, which is most important.

Thanks anyway, Chevy. We'll still have a drink at the M&M.

Archived