Going to Calica for the first time

elisamarie

We are on the 6/30 Holiday (yes, we actually booked a cruise on the Holiday) for my nephew's 21st birthday and our first port is Calica. We have never been to this port, but from what I have determined, it's a cruise ship port, nothing really there.

Our plan for this cruise is sit by the pool and drink on sea days and sit on the beach and drink on port days. We have been to Cozumel many times, so we know what we are going to do there. But not having been to Calica or Playa, we have no clue. We love sitting on the beach and having someone wait on us for drinks and food.

Any suggestions on where we should go? I'd appreciate any help.

thanks

elisa

Our plan for this cruise is sit by the pool and drink on sea days and sit on the beach and drink on port days. We have been to Cozumel many times, so we know what we are going to do there. But not having been to Calica or Playa, we have no clue. We love sitting on the beach and having someone wait on us for drinks and food.

Any suggestions on where we should go? I'd appreciate any help.

thanks

elisa

You are in luck! If beach loafing is on the agenda, PDC is a great place for you. Don't let the docking area at Calica scare you. This is merely a drop off point. Grab a cab to 5th Avenue, walk down to the beach and pick a spot.

We went to PDC last year after snorkeling Yal Ku Lagoon at Akumal( which was absolutely gorgeous, BTW). Ginger D was as happy with the beach in town and wants to go back this year. Now I'm not saying that my wife is picky, but if she doesn't like something, you can bet your bottom dollar that she won't do it again. She is already looking at new swimsuits .;)

I've done a little digging into your exact question. We too are booked on the Holiday this summer, with Calica as a port.

What I've gathered from this board:

1. Get off the ship at your leisure

2. Grab a taxi at the dock (lots of them waiting for you)

3. Tell them to take you to Playa Del Carmen, 5th Avenue.

4. Enjoy your day

5. Grab a taxi back to the ship at the end of your day.

At PDC, you will find shopping, beaches, restaurants, etc. From what I gather, it's a very good spot to just "wing it" as far as an agenda goes. And, I'm usually one to plan to the Nth detail. I think we'll love just chillaxin' for the day in PDC

• 1 month later...

PDC is an excellent place to just wing it.

I've gone once before and we took the snorkeling excursion. The snorkeling was pretty nice. We then took the bus (we talked the driver into this) over to 5th Avenue in PDC to look around. There are a lot of cute shopping areas and the beach is lovely. I probably wouldn't snorkel again as it just wasn't "my thing," but visiting PDC is worth the look around.

There should be a small market right where the ship docks, as well.

If the 21-year-old is looking for something a little more active, there should be ATV tours, horseback riding & zip lines nearby.

Go ahead & flame me or laugh; but you know where you should do your shopping in Playa? Walmart. Every taxi driver will know where it is and there should be taxis to take you back to Calica or wherever else you want to go.

As part of a private tour we had lunch in Akumal at La Buena Vida. It was on the beautiful beach at Akumal - a truly lovely spot. The food was fantastic, too. We had other places to go so we couldn't linger, but if I could ever afford a land vacation to Mexico, I think I would go to Akumal.

From the "When in Rome, do like the Romans" file, here's an idea:

Many (but not all) of the All Inclusive resorts in the area will sell Day Passes.

So the more sedate travelers in your group could hang out at the bar and the 21-year-old could snorkel, kayak, play beach volleyball, etc.

Sometimes, the North American or European expatriates who live in Playa del Carmen will buy a Day Pass to an AI if they need to relax.

This sounds good. We have been to Akumal and Yal ku, and we drove by one of the cenotes. You could hit at least four places and have the expertise of a local guide.

If you want to do several things in one day, you can't go wrong with an Edventure Tour. We saw Tulum, snorkeled the cenote Dos Ojos, snorkeled in the turtle sanctuary, ate lunch at Akumal, and then snorkeled at Yal-ku. It was a fantastic day and they are great about customizing it to do what you want to do.

Archived