Could someone respond to my thread Please

skachelmeyer

The thread is How does Dunns River Falls Work? (I know I spelled it wrong in the thread). I am sure that many people have done these tours and my husband and I want to better understand it before we make reservations and ask questions to the guides. We realize that the tours are set up very flexible, but most run by the same pattern. Please share you exertise. Thanks for your help.

I'm not quite sure what your question is, but I'll try to answer.

You can either take a shore excursion, taxi, or private tour to Dunns River Falls. If yo utake a shore excursion or private tour, your admission fee will most likely be included in the tour fee. If you take a private taxi, you will be charged an admission fee. There is also a stand set up to rent water shoes--you will need some type of firm-souled shoe to climb the falls. I personally prefer to bring my own water shoes from home. There are also lockers available if you need to store anything.

You will most likely be placed in group with a guide--the guide will lead you up the falls. You can try to do this yourself, but sometimes they snag you and force you to be in a group. Once you get to the top, most guides expect a few bucks for a tip.

There are also other things to do at the falls. There is a beach---which we have never used so I can't comment on it. There is also a hair braiding station and snack bar. There is also an area with locals selling merchandise from little stands/stalls---they can be aggressive at times, but you just need to keep walking and say no.

Hope I answered your question.

We took a tour bus to Dunn's River Falls from Montego Bay. It was quite a bumpy long ride. The falls were beautiful, but were really crowded. They took you through a local shopping area at the end. The local people were very pushy and several men surrounded us at one time. We were constantly checking our bags. The falls were okay if you are in good condition physically. Alot of people were getting hurt -- falling, etc. There were two ambulances there. If you are in good physical health it is worth it, but if you aren't used to the exercise, I would say take the Rafting down the Martha Ray.

If you are docking in Montego Bay, be forewarned that many of the excursions that the cruise lines offer go all the way to Ocho Rios and the trip is a long one. The Dunn's River Falls excursion from Montego Bay is a 6 hour excursion. You spend two hours getting there and two hours getting back. And you end up spending just an hour or so at the falls. I don't know about you, but spending four hours of my valuable port time stuck in a crowded tour bus is not my idea of fun.:(

The Martha Brae rafting tour is also the same distance and drive time from Montego Bay, so be careful of where your excursion is if your booking an excursion out of Montego Bay.

But if you're in Ocho Rios, then Dunn's River falls is very nice and a good tour to go on. Your group all holds hands as you cross and it is very slippery. But many say it is worth it because the falls are very pretty. The Martha Brae rafting tour is a little slower paced and more relaxing. If you're in Ocho Rios it is also a good option. But if you're docking in Montego Bay, your best bet is to go to Sunset Beach Resort for the $20 all inclusive that includes food, sodas, alcohol, 3 pools, 3 beaches, and lots of other extras.:D

Archived